PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Re: A Step Back -- Revisiting Classics

Sep 3, 2010

PapaWarlock wrote:

Hmm I've replayed most of the FF titles this year. I've replayed VI, VII, VIII and X this year. Can't quite seem to muster the desire to retry XII. Sadly the best new handheld RPG isn't on the PSP.

While I do enjoy many older classics, Iseem to be one of the few who isn't pissed off or turned off about this generation's RPG selection. Dragon Age: Origins, Cross Edge, Final Fantasy XIII are 3 excellent selections in my opinion. (Yeah, I'm one of the few who truely enjoyed XIII, but obviously I don't do Trophies and thus it won't be platinumed) Mass Effect 2 coming next year will be great as well.

I haven't replayed FF IX this year, but I do need to do so. My last replay was last year and I've replayed it like 6 or 7 times. I have Grandia but not feeling the love on it yet. I went about halfway on Suikoden and lost interest in it as well.

I do need to restart DQVIII. Got about 2/3 of the way through and got caught up in too many other games. Great game, just never finished it. (DQIX rocks though) I did play and complete the Lunar Star remake on the PSP, another great title. Crimson Gem Saga was a fun game, need to finish it as well. (About 90% complete)

I'll have to keep an eye out and see what everyone's working on. Maybe I'll join in soon. But while I did finally beat FFVIII and enjoyed the story, I didn't enjoy it enough to want to replay it any time in the next decade.

Finall another gamer who ISN'T blinded by nostalgia (but at the same time isn't completely against anything before PS3) :smileytongue:   Its nice to know that their are other gamers who can appreciate the older greats, but are not blinded by nostalgia into thinking no game could ever be better than "insert prefered game title here" (again typically FF7 is listed)  LOL :smileytongue:

Yeah I also don't get the FF13 hate, I haven't played it yet personally though I watched my brother play through the game, and I really liked the game.  so IDK.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 43 (13 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11007 posts

Sep 3, 2010

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

While I do enjoy many older classics, Iseem to be one of the few who isn't pissed off or turned off about this generation's RPG selection. Dragon Age: Origins, Cross Edge, Final Fantasy XIII are 3 excellent selections in my opinion.

Finall another gamer who ISN'T blinded by nostalgia (but at the same time isn't completely against anything before PS3) :smileytongue:   Its nice to know that their are other gamers who can appreciate the older greats, but are not blinded by nostalgia into thinking no game could ever be better than "insert prefered game title here" (again typically FF7 is listed)  LOL :smileytongue:

Yeah I also don't get the FF13 hate, I haven't played it yet personally though I watched my brother play through the game, and I really liked the game.  so IDK.

I really enjoyed the "classics" when they first came out. I also still enjoy a good number of them from time to time (usually at work). But I do enjoy what's out there now.

Do I wish there was a larger selection of the "pure" RPG so to speak? Sure. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the new breed of RPG either. Often I get the feeling that many of those who are "dissing" this generation of RPGs are somewhat stuck on the past. Far too often I "hear" claims from posters that this generation of RPGs suck. That nothing beats the PS1 RPGs or the PS2 RPGs. Heck I've come across the odd post online that the best RPG generation pre-dates the Playstation.

Gaming has evolved over the years. Without change, things stagnate. RPGs have done a lot of evolving over the years. The RPG genre has also influenced a lot of other genres out there. It has certainly borrowed from other genres too.

When I generally think of the pure RPG, the old turn based system comes to mind. Random encounters. Turn based combat. Because it was all based off of D&D. (Have you ever tried to have 3 people rolling dice, shouting commands/actions and tried to keep track of it? Not a chance.) I remember playing the pencil & paper version of D&D. I remember the D&D video games. As much fun as that was, I also love the more realistic real time combat of today's RPG. (Seriously, do you think a Goblin is going to stand there while you decide whether to cast a fireball, cast a heal spell, try to gut it or flee?)

For everything there is a place and a time for it. I do wish at times there were more turn based RPGs but that works better on a hand held system in my opinion. Lunar Star Silver Harmony and Crimson Gem Saga are excellent PSP gems in that vein. But if I'm playing on a console, I'd rather have it more realistic combat wise. /shrug/ But that's me

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 43 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
876 posts

Sep 3, 2010

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

PapaWarlock wrote:

Hmm I've replayed most of the FF titles this year. I've replayed VI, VII, VIII and X this year. Can't quite seem to muster the desire to retry XII. Sadly the best new handheld RPG isn't on the PSP.

While I do enjoy many older classics, Iseem to be one of the few who isn't pissed off or turned off about this generation's RPG selection. Dragon Age: Origins, Cross Edge, Final Fantasy XIII are 3 excellent selections in my opinion. (Yeah, I'm one of the few who truely enjoyed XIII, but obviously I don't do Trophies and thus it won't be platinumed) Mass Effect 2 coming next year will be great as well.

I haven't replayed FF IX this year, but I do need to do so. My last replay was last year and I've replayed it like 6 or 7 times. I have Grandia but not feeling the love on it yet. I went about halfway on Suikoden and lost interest in it as well.

I do need to restart DQVIII. Got about 2/3 of the way through and got caught up in too many other games. Great game, just never finished it. (DQIX rocks though) I did play and complete the Lunar Star remake on the PSP, another great title. Crimson Gem Saga was a fun game, need to finish it as well. (About 90% complete)

I'll have to keep an eye out and see what everyone's working on. Maybe I'll join in soon. But while I did finally beat FFVIII and enjoyed the story, I didn't enjoy it enough to want to replay it any time in the next decade.

I think it's more than just a "few" gamers who enjoyed FFXIII. I also really had fun with it, and actually have been thinking about replaying it soon. I thought it had one of the franchise's best stories, and I'd like to experience it again.

0 Likes