Nov 11 2012
By: Hikaru_Kazushime Splicer 66 posts

Favorite or Current Playing Japanese Games

[ Edited ]
11 replies 323 views Edited Nov 11, 2012

Just a general question to everyone out there who play Japanese games- which ones are your favorite, and/or which ones are you currently into?

I'm currently playing:

Queen's Gate: Spiral Chaos

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva series

Aquapazza

Final Fantasy Type-O

Hyperdimension Neptuna series

Tales of Xillia 2

Dai-2-ji Super Robot Taisen Original Generations

E.X. Troopers

The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution

Ciel Nosurge: Ushinawareta Hoshi e Sasagu Shi

Dragon's Crown

Has anyone else heard of/playing/played any of these?

edit: mainly posted here since these are mostly JRPGs

Message 1 of 12 (323 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11540 posts

Re: Favorite or Current Playing Japanese Games

Nov 11, 2012

From what I know about these games, they're all currently without a release outside of Japan. Not being into the habit of importing games, the Japanese RPGs I'm into are amongst those bound for the U.S., depending on the game of course.

Tales of Xillia (the one coming to North America next year) is one I have my eye on for the time, as I'm sure other Tales fans do. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch I'll also be picking up in a couple of months. These are some of the known RPGs that hold a future interest.

Message 2 of 12 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Nov 11, 2012

^ That was mainly my intention- to talk about Japanese games that aren't released in the US. Otherwise I'd just post in the general section.

I know I didn't state that in my post though- I'm also new to the forum so please forgive my n00bishness.

I used to be very limited to only US games, but after some time I finally broke down and started playing JP games since I can read JP. Importing isn't a problem because I attend Japanese events that sell JP games.

I'd also like to meet others who play JP games- I think its awesome when someone does it anyway because stupid publishers wont bring some of the best games over seas. >.<

I know the general english community wont respond here, but there's many english otaku who play Japanese games.

^Happy to hear that you're interested in Ni no Kuni and Xillia! 2 great games Smiley Very Happy Kind of sad to hear the first Xillia being released so late though. -_-

Message 3 of 12 (311 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8488 posts

Nov 12, 2012
I'm into import games but I'm too poor to invest in them recently

last import games I have been playing were:
Ni no kuni DS
Senritsu no Stratus
super robot taisen og saga endless frontier exceed
Message 4 of 12 (278 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 13, 2012

This board is for general rpg discussion, but I can see the mindset of thinking that maybe some fans of jrpgs have ventured into the import scene.  I don't import physical copies of games, but I have dabbled a little bit with the Japanese psn(and the UK one to a far lesser extent).  I'm not quite good enough to enjoy Japanese games without the help of my dictionaries and a kanji database, but I plan on getting there eventually.  An hour a day, on my days off should be enough to reaffirm what I already know, and move towards teaching myself new stuff.  More specifically, I'd like to be able to read more of the kanji that comes up in videogame text. So far I've stuck almost entirely to ps1 classics(the only exception being Simple 500 Vol. 3).  I don't need anything more elaborate than a ps1 game.  It's all new to me, and it's not graphics that really interest me.  Plus, psp games would require me to swich my psp's account activation back and forth, since it's not like I don't use it to play my NA content otherwise.  Also, ps3 games can potentially take up a considerble amount of space, which is otherwise reserved for NA psn content that might interest me.  I only have an 80G HDD, so I have to take that into account.  Downloads of ps1 classics are usually cheaper too, with only the occasional exception.

I might as well list what I have so far.  Both Tombas(purchased before the first game came to the NA psn).  I bought the NA version of Tomba as well, when it became available, and plan on doing the same for Tomba 2.  I actually signed up for a JP psn account for those games and branched out from there.  I have Simple 500 Vol. 3 and The Horror Mystery from the Simple 1500 series.  I have the first two Tokimeki Memorial games, and the Tokimeki Memorial 2: EVS Append Disc.  I also have Sentimental Graffiti and both Renai Simulation games(also from the Simple 1500 series). 

I didn't actually research any of these purchases before hand, other than finding out that the JP psn had both Tombas, which I was quite fond of back in the day.  Browsing the JP psn is like stepping into another world of gaming where I know nothing.  With NA games, know what I like, what I don't like, and I almost always know what I'm getting into without having to read reviews.  If I need another opinion, I'll just ask one of my friends(including forum friends) or I'll just post something in one of my favorite forums(I haven't trusted the opinions of the so called "professionals" in years).  I can usually figure out if a game is for me on my own though, and I probably know enough about it before it even hits stores just by hearing about it through the grapevine.  On the other hand, the days of me being able to pick up anything on store shelves based on the description on the back of the case, and enjoy it are long gone.  There is very little in the way of unexplored territory for me, most of which is territory I have no desire to explore(like app games, motion control, etc).  I've long since developed a series of opinions on videogames, some of which are strong. 

However, I miss the feeling of not knowing what I'm getting into, like falling down a rabbit hole and finding a whole new land to explore.  I know NA's Wonderland well enough that it's not longer new, and it doesn't feel otherworldly anymore.  On the other hand, that's not the case with Japanese games(beyond the games and genres that do get localized).  I don't know what I'm getting into, but I don't mind taking shots in the dark to find out what I like and what I don't like.  Moreover, while I've since developed opinions on virtually every genre a NA gamer has access to, I only developed them through trying them.  It took me a good decade or so to decide that I won't touch licensed games, for example.  I don't have pre-existing opinions on visual novels or dating sims, or other such genres, because I haven't really played them before.  Sure, I've played Harvest Moon, but everyone knows that's not even the tip of the iceberg, even those who don't play much in the way of Japanese games.  I can play something like The Horror Mystery, even though I've heard that other people don't think too highly of it.  I'd rather develop my own opinion on it though, and the same goes for the other games I've downloaded.  I think I like visual novels a lot.  I'm not sure about dating sims(despite being a longtime Harvest Moon fan), but I'll have to play more to find out. 

Message 5 of 12 (272 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8488 posts

Nov 14, 2012
since we are on the topic of import games, I might as well ask here.
I have 3000 yen in my japanese psn account and I don't know what to buy... Anyone has some good game they want to recommend on psn? psp or ps3
Message 6 of 12 (253 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Nov 15, 2012

My knowledge of Japanese psn games is fairly limited, but maybe it would help if you shared your genre preferences, and whether you want to spend that 3000 yen on one game or multiple games, and also whether you're specifically looking for something current(or semi-current), or if you're open to retro games.  Obviously psp games have for the most part been out for some time, but I still consider them relatively current, at least compared to ps1 classics. 

Message 7 of 12 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
781 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 16, 2012

Ooops. misread thread title .... please ignore or delete

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 8 of 12 (235 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8488 posts

Nov 16, 2012

tross88 wrote:

My knowledge of Japanese psn games is fairly limited, but maybe it would help if you shared your genre preferences, and whether you want to spend that 3000 yen on one game or multiple games, and also whether you're specifically looking for something current(or semi-current), or if you're open to retro games.  Obviously psp games have for the most part been out for some time, but I still consider them relatively current, at least compared to ps1 classics. 

I don't mind, it could be 1, it could be 10, I'm thinking about either a psp or a ps1 classic game. I also like most genre... hmm... maybe except those low budget music games or those ios shovelware quality games.

Also preferably something that is not widely available in physical format, and not something I already own. Smiley Tongue

kind of complicated Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 12 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Nov 17, 2012

kknd2002 wrote:

tross88 wrote:

I don't mind, it could be 1, it could be 10, I'm thinking about either a psp or a ps1 classic game. I also like most genre... hmm... maybe except those low budget music games or those ios shovelware quality games.

Also preferably something that is not widely available in physical format, and not something I already own. Smiley Tongue

kind of complicated Smiley Tongue

Ok.  Now for the next question.  What do you own in terms of Japan exclusive games on Sony platforms?  If it's a long list, then you might already have what I would suggest anyways.  I'm not sure if Japanese ps1 classics would fall under "widely available", given how much time has elapsed. 

For now though, I'd suggest giving the Tokimeki Memorial games a try, given their impact on videogames as a whole, despite never being released outside of Japan.  I've found out that the dating sim genre as a whole was popularized by the first Toki Memo game(Toki Memo being the Japanese slang for this series), and the ps1 port is supposedly identical to the more recent psp port, which is supposed to be the definitive version of the game.  Moreover, dating elements in various jrpgs, and even modern day wrpgs could probably be traced back to that game.  Toki Memo 2 is also really neat.  It's not only 5 discs, unlike the first game, which is only 1, but it also has something really neat called the Emotional Voice System, or EVS for short.  Basically, you can type in a name in kana or kanji, and the girls in the game will say it, rather than skimming over it, like with most games with nameable characters.  What's amazing is that this game is from 1998, from two gens ago.  It looks like Konami sat on something that had a lot of potential. 

If you're looking for budget games, I would suggest trying a couple games in the Simple series, particularly the Simple 1500 series from the ps1, a lot of which is available as psn downloads.  I'm not sure if I would recommend checking out Sentimental Graffiti, since I haven't played enough of it.  It was supposedly intended to be a competitor to Toki Memo, but only two games in the series were made, the second of which is on the dreamcast.  I think there were spinoffs too, but don't quote me on that.  I don't like the art style for that game, and I'll be nice and say that the game looks like it was filtered through a caraffe filled with coffee.  The girls don't look particularly appealing, but the game does sound really neat in concept(it's not a rip-off of Toki Memo). 

Message 10 of 12 (224 Views)
0 Likes