Gaming Beast
2328 posts

Re: Just started playing The Legend of Dragoon.

Nov 23, 2012

love this game, still have the hard copy and my Dart figurine still in the box lol.  but anyways. this really isnt a spoiler, i hope, but later on you can get a ring to automatically finish additions.   the only thing i didnt like about this game was the EXP you get after battles, it seems so little and takes forever to level up.

some_text
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 23 (253 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 25, 2012

Does anyone know why I am unable to find this in the Playstation store? The only one in the PSone titles that pop up for me are Legend of Mana and nothing beginning with the word The either.  I even tried searching for it.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 23 (243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3975 posts

Nov 28, 2012

Well, I've finally completed the first disc, and have moved on to the second.  I suppose Dart having his gem stolen is an interesting enough twist.  Besides, I'm looking forward to seeing more sub-plots.  Tiberoa as a region seems interesting.  It looks like there will be some diversity in the culture and beliefs of the people in various regions throughout the game, in addition to geography, which is a good thing.  I like rpgs with interesting worlds.  The translation isn't the best there is, but it could be worse, and it doesn't make the game any less enjoyable, so it doesn't matter to me.  Give me the Japanese version of the game, and my dictionaries and laptop, and I could come up with my own translation, but it would take a very long time to do.  It just isn't worth it to me.  I'll take Sony's translation. 

Shana isn't nearly as useless now, even if there hasn't been any new equipment for her in a while.  I can use her in boss fights now.  I used her against Doel.  I actually had more difficulty keeping Albert alive than I did with her.  While she doesn't have any addition skills, the amount of sp she gains per attack is tied to her dragoon lvl, so she actually has an easier time accumulating sp than characters with low lvl addition skills.  Right now she's earning 50 sp per attack, but she has to be pretty close to reaching the next dragoon lvl(which would be 3).  Every dragoon gains more mp every dragoon lvl, so she might actually be a useful healer afterall, before too long.  She should gain more magic skills too.

Well, I've been making good progress so far, so I guess I'll just have to keep at it. 

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 23 (230 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Dec 10, 2012

TornadicInferno wrote:

love this game, still have the hard copy and my Dart figurine still in the box lol.  but anyways. this really isnt a spoiler, i hope, but later on you can get a ring to automatically finish additions.   the only thing i didnt like about this game was the EXP you get after battles, it seems so little and takes forever to level up.

Kind of one of my complaints.  I hated how little XP you got in the game.  I'd have to load up my game but I think the highest I got (w/ Dart) was Lv 40-41 by end game w/ the rest of the pack coming in anywhere from 31-35 (Dart got jacked during a boss fight when everyone else died).

I could probably say the same for money but I guess it gives it some worth instead of ending up with 1-2 million at the end of the game with nothing to spend it on like in some RPGs :smileyvery-happy:  There are some 50k (?) accessories/gear to buy but more than likely, you'll get 1-3 (if you're lucky) of these items to deck out one character completely or 3 of them by the end of the game unless you grind to get enough money for the items for everyone which I just didn't have the patience for mainly because of how little you get in the game.  So Sweet, you might want to hold onto what you get.

My last biggie was the 32-spot inventory.  So freaking annoying mainly because of such limited space and that duplicates counted as individual items.  I read that in the JP version, there was an item you could have picked up that doubled the space but this didn't make it into the NA version.  Granted, it makes you think about what to take with you but I felt like I was never really prepared for afflictions cause I'd neglect the cure items for them in favor of more healing ones or the elemental attacks for tight spots (some of these really do help).  I just hated coming across a chest and then knowing I had to go into my sack and toss something out to pick up whatever was new.  It seems even more stupid when the Weapon/Gear bag had 255-spots or something like that.

Honestly, I'd like to see Sony revisit the IP on PS3 or Vita.  Ideally, I'd like to see a prequel set during the Dragon Campaign.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 23 (173 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 11, 2012

Very good game, gameplay/story, but reaching Lv60 (Max level) is hardcore. Highest I went was 45, since had all the additions maxed out manually. Cash grinding is also hard. Trying to get 30000g at the first Disc isnt something I'll never do again.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 23 (161 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3975 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

So Sweet, you might want to hold onto what you get.

Sweet?  Late night forum posting, I see.:smileyvery-happy:  I do it too though, so who am I to criticize?:smileywink:  Thanks for the advice though.  I agree that the inventory is a pain.  So is the small amount of money and exp, but I too am glad I'm not going to be a billionaire by the end of the game for once.  I finally hit my first major grind patch, where I have to lvl up to take on Lenus.  I don't mind though, given how far I am into the game.  I've hit a major I've also hit a series of plotholes created by videogame logic, but I guess I should sweep all of that under the rug where it belongs.  First, even though I'm supposed to stop a ceremony, which coincidentally started when I arrived back in Fletz, I was able to take my time, talk to all the villagers, do some shopping, and even stay a night at the inn, but was still on time to stop the ceremony.:smileyvery-happy:  Since I found out my party's not strong enough for the boss yet, I just left to grind.  Now I'm wondering if the princesses came with me, and are hanging out with the people not currently in my party, or if they're just chilling out in their castle until I finally get back.  I'm not only taking the time to grind, but I'm planning on staying overnight at the inn again to regain my hp and mp, yet I'm assuming I'll still be just on time to stop the ceremony.  Since the dagger's supposed to be handed over sometime at the beginning of the ceremony, which will be into its third day, I'm just going to assume that it's a solstice that's supposed to last at least 10 days, so I don't need to rush.:smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 23 (147 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Dec 14, 2012

Glad you're enjoying LoD Tross!

To think that I first played the game back in the 2000-2001 timeframe makes me feel old!

I can't remember some of the details you mentioned in your post but the names definitely bring back some fond memories. Though I thought it weird to name one of the protagonists 'Dart'. 

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 23 (129 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Dec 17, 2012

tross88 wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

So Sweet, you might want to hold onto what you get.

Sweet?  Late night forum posting, I see.:smileyvery-happy:  I do it too though, so who am I to criticize?:smileywink:  Thanks for the advice though.  I agree that the inventory is a pain.  So is the small amount of money and exp, but I too am glad I'm not going to be a billionaire by the end of the game for once.  I finally hit my first major grind patch, where I have to lvl up to take on Lenus.  I don't mind though, given how far I am into the game.  I've hit a major I've also hit a series of plotholes created by videogame logic, but I guess I should sweep all of that under the rug where it belongs.  First, even though I'm supposed to stop a ceremony, which coincidentally started when I arrived back in Fletz, I was able to take my time, talk to all the villagers, do some shopping, and even stay a night at the inn, but was still on time to stop the ceremony.:smileyvery-happy:  Since I found out my party's not strong enough for the boss yet, I just left to grind.  Now I'm wondering if the princesses came with me, and are hanging out with the people not currently in my party, or if they're just chilling out in their castle until I finally get back.  I'm not only taking the time to grind, but I'm planning on staying overnight at the inn again to regain my hp and mp, yet I'm assuming I'll still be just on time to stop the ceremony.  Since the dagger's supposed to be handed over sometime at the beginning of the ceremony, which will be into its third day, I'm just going to assume that it's a solstice that's supposed to last at least 10 days, so I don't need to rush.:smileytongue:

:smileyvery-happy:  Some people I identify by their sigs (since custom avatars aren't in place) and yours just seems too similar to hers (UC3) so I didn't look at the name at all and just went with who I thought it was :smileyvery-happy:  My mistake.

I think I've only ever grinded for the optional bosses or to increase my Dragoon Level/Addition Damage/Gain a new Addition.  I think I was able to, for the most part, survive the story encounters with 1-2 people alive (a few by just a hair).

And are you collecting the Stardust?  I had missed 1 at one point and thought that was it for me but then found out you can go back to the older towns.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 23 (118 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3975 posts

Dec 18, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

tross88 wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:  Some people I identify by their sigs (since custom avatars aren't in place) and yours just seems too similar to hers (UC3) so I didn't look at the name at all and just went with who I thought it was :smileyvery-happy:  My mistake.

I think I've only ever grinded for the optional bosses or to increase my Dragoon Level/Addition Damage/Gain a new Addition.  I think I was able to, for the most part, survive the story encounters with 1-2 people alive (a few by just a hair).

And are you collecting the Stardust?  I had missed 1 at one point and thought that was it for me but then found out you can go back to the older towns.

Fair enough.  My sig was made by Sweet.:smileyvery-happy:

I think that's where my insistance of using everyone equally, and having those with the lowest exp in my party at any given time has cost me.  I could switch over to Meru and Kongol, and I'm sure I'll have an easier time winning, but I'm trying to catch everyone else up to them.  As it stands, Shana's still always in my party, though she's doing a lot better, and her dragoon lvl is up to 3, so she can use Heaven's Gate, which heals the whole party completely.  She's almost caught up to everyone else.  Right now, my last spot goes to Rose or Albert, who are a little behind Haschel at this point, due to recent events.  Meru is still quite a ways ahead of all of them, and Kongol is even further ahead.  Sigh.  Oh well.  I'm working on some addition skill while I'm at it.  Crush Dance is maxed out now, which means Dart's maxed out across the board, aside from Double Slash, which I've only used twice.  I'll stick to Crush Dance.  For Rose, I just maxed out Whip Smack, only to find that that was a complete waste of time, so I just switched back to More and More.  For Albert, I finally maxed out Harpoon, which is great for easy sp gain, but I'm going to have to work on another skill now.  Since exp/lvl grinding is the sixth level of rpg hell, and LoD is one of those rpgs where it takes a great deal of time to grind, I tend to tackle those parts of an rpg in a series of shorter sessions, which are spread out over more time.  I should be able to move on before too long though.

I have been collecting Stardust and giving it to Martel in Fletz.  I'm not entirely sure if that's the most ideal use for Stardust, but I've been getting rewards for it, so it's not a total waste.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 23 (110 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Dec 18, 2012
I mainly stuck with Dart and Rose in my party. Every now and then, I'd switch someone new into the 3rd spot to mix things up and rarely did I switch out Rose but I found myself falling back to Dart, Rose and Albert more often than not. Kind of wish Shana had a set of Additions though. Multiple consecutive shots, maybe being able to hit 2 targets, stuff like that. I'm not sure who my least used character was though...maybe Haschel?

Was going to complain about healing and having to switch to Dragoon form for certain characters to do so for the party or to have a party healing item on hand but I guess that 'shortcoming' is negated by the fact that you can defend and gain health in the process (and also prevent status ailments while doing so).

That's what you're supposed to do with Stardust. There are 50 in the game and at certain milestones, you get items from Martel. When you hand over all 50, you get an item to fight an optional boss.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 23 (105 Views)
0 Likes