Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 25 2013
By: andremal PlayStation MVP 805 posts

Overlooked PS3 RPGs

27 replies 743 views Edited Apr 25, 2013

New Discussion - Overlooked PS3 RPGs

I will open with Nier. I honestly can't remember the reason I picked this game up. I do remember it was fairly close to launch. All I can say is, "What a pleasant surprise!". Nier started off in an odd way and I was almost put off by the intro. But then I was plopped down in to what turned out to be a wonderful experience. First and foremost, Nier's Soundtrack was fantastic. Every zone has different music and all of it spoke to me and enhanced the experience. Nier offers a healthy dose of side-quests to perform. The main story was interesting and engaging. As a Father, I really related to the main character and his main quest. The combat was a lot of fun. The RPG elements were well done as well. Overall, I would score the game somewhere between 8.5-9. 

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 1 of 28 (743 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11176 posts

Re: Overlooked PS3 RPGs

Apr 25, 2013

Eternal Sonata is one such RPG that was overlooked by the crowds back when it released in the Fall of 2008. At the time there were other such big-name hits like BioShock, LittleBigPlanet, Fallout 3, and Call of Duty: World at War that the game was up against. I do not believe Eternal Sonata sold very well, but based on the content and masterful quality of the game it really should have. Eternal Sonata was also released on the Xbox 360 a year prior. This being an enhanced port with bonuses like an extra playable character, it could also be that a lot of people didn't buy the game with the crowds having already gone through the experience.

One other interesting RPGish game of 2008 that was denied by the masses is that of Valkyria Chronicles. This game too didn't meet with much financial success, and while not a triumph the game wasn't bad. This strategy-RPG painted a colorful anime-styled war. With tanks and sneaking tactics used, you had a limited number of turns per character until sides were switched and the enemy was able to repel your advance.

Message 2 of 28 (741 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
805 posts

Apr 25, 2013

2 great entries.  I am guilty of having never played Eternal Sonata. Valkyria Chronicles was the 3rd game I bought for my PS3.

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 3 of 28 (739 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Apr 26, 2013

I agree that Valkyria Chronicles is underrated.  I'm quite fond of the Atelier games myself.  I think the colourful graphics and bubbly female leads might be what turns people off to this series.  Granted, it's no CoD either.  I suppose these games aren't about going on a grand quest to save the world either, but I'm all for saving a business too.  Heck, I think that's a breath of fresh air.  But, maybe a grand quest to save the world was the thing people were craving all along.  Oh well, I'm glad the Atelier series continues to be made, and that we have been getting all the latest entries in NA. 

Message 4 of 28 (710 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11171 posts

Apr 26, 2013
  • Nier: I wrote a review for this a few years back. I was pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed the game. I know I managed to convince a few people to pick up the game and they enjoyed it as well. The father/daughter storyline is what made it so much more for me.
  • Cross Edge: A very under rated RPG. It was a cross over game from like Gust, Capcom and NIS. I remember there being characters from Darkstalkers, Ar Tonelico and Disgaea. It was a cute game.
  • Rainbow Moon: A PSN game. Good game. Bit odd story wise but good. I need to get back it myself. About halfway done with it.

I'll update if I remember any more that I liked.

Message 5 of 28 (697 Views)
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Apr 27, 2013

I would like to say Resonance of Fate but for the life of me I just could not get into it. Most people complained it was too hard and it was a difficult game which it did have a deep combat system that if you didn't understand it was hard. The main thing is I didn't care for the story at all and the colour selection was so drab amd depressing. Beautiful cutscenes though.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 6 of 28 (662 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Apr 29, 2013

I almost bought Nier a few times, but never did.  I am curious about it but the gameplay videos I've watched of it and such made it come across as sort of a monotonous slog.  I don't base my decision of of reviews but do often read them to see if anything in it would appeal to me or turn me off of a game.  The reviews in conjuction with gameplay I'd seen always made me hesitate on the game.  

I'd second Eternal Sonata being greatly overlooked.  It did some incredibly cool stuff I've never so far seen in another video game.  I do kind of wish it had different difficulty settings cause a couple of those bosses took me a long time to beat, but it is one of my favourite RPG's.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 7 of 28 (632 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8483 posts

Apr 29, 2013
Atelier series, definitely an overlooked series.
Message 8 of 28 (630 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
556 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

W1Z4RDRY wrote:

I would like to say Resonance of Fate but for the life of me I just could not get into it. Most people complained it was too hard and it was a difficult game which it did have a deep combat system that if you didn't understand it was hard. The main thing is I didn't care for the story at all and the colour selection was so drab amd depressing. Beautiful cutscenes though.

I couldn't either at first, I actually played through it for 3-4 months on end, I gotten so far, I was able to earn my first platinum from that game before my PS3 broke. So many good memories... (except for the PS3 breaking that is...):womantongue:

But it is really not that hard in my opinion. Resonance of Fate was a great game indeed. :smileyvery-happy:

photo TheRobsSignature_zps7f0db83c.jpg
Thanks to KANE-FIRE for the sig. :smileytongue:
Message 9 of 28 (601 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1993 posts

May 1, 2013
I think the White Knight Chronicles series was superiorly overlooked for the NA region, I'll admit the story had some weak points and it didn't seem to have been advertised to well, but it was still a great game in terms of visuals and game play.

It also had some great online features (which is why it attracted my attention) and was a lot of fun with other players.

it's unfortunately to late for the game now though since the developers basically gave up on it.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 10 of 28 (575 Views)