PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

Re: Overlooked PS3 RPGs

May 1, 2013

LegoFire wrote:
I think the White Knight Chronicles series was superiorly overlooked for the NA region, I'll admit the story had some weak points and it didn't seem to have been advertised to well, but it was still a great game in terms of visuals and game play.

It also had some great online features (which is why it attracted my attention) and was a lot of fun with other players.

it's unfortunately to late for the game now though since the developers basically gave up on it.

This is one of the games I own in my backlog, so I was sad to hear that the servers were shut down.  I'm hoping it won't happen to Demon  Souls as well before I can get to it!  

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 28 (328 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
481 posts

May 1, 2013

Another overlooked PS3 RPG would be Agarest War series, cause I find that not many people are interested in it. I, for one love Agarest War, despite not getting and having the other two. I just wished more people would play it...It is pretty good for an SRPG. You should download it if you really like SRPGS.  I know this is on the Xbox 360 as well (except for Agarest War 2) but still...

photo MissRobertaGiantessofGlamourSignature_zpsd7379e58.gif

You can't trust no one except yourself - therob21
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 28 (320 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

May 2, 2013
Arrest war is not overlooked. They keep saying they will add English voice acting and lying to the customers. When it comes out there is no eng voice and we get screwed. Would be a hit if it just had eng voices. As for white night it is ok prt two people said was horrible but part one wasn't that bad itmwasmok.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 28 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
481 posts

May 3, 2013
Wow, I didn't know Aksys was like that... They really need to keep their promises.
 photo MissRobertaGiantessofGlamourSignature_zpsd7379e58.gif

You can't trust no one except yourself - therob21
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 28 (289 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

May 4, 2013

mooserocka wrote:
Arrest war is not overlooked. They keep saying they will add English voice acting and lying to the customers. When it comes out there is no eng voice and we get screwed. Would be a hit if it just had eng voices. As for white night it is ok prt two people said was horrible but part one wasn't that bad itmwasmok.

That game would never be a big hit.  It is a niche title like most RPG's are and appeal to a fairly small audience.  I dont' remember any english dubbing controversy but I'll have to remember to look into it so I know what you're refering too.   

I'm one of those poeple though that prefers to play games in their original language and have subtitles.  The one exception is with Ni No Kuni, I started playing it with the Japanese voices.  And for the most part it was great, but there were a couple of times when the subtitles were so fast I missed some of what was said.  It only happened twice I think, but I had to then go to youtube and watch the sequence again to see what was said.  So I switched to the English voices so I wouldn't miss anything.  But I've never had that problem before, of subtitles being too fast and usually prefer original language.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 28 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4713 posts

May 5, 2013

Alpha Protocol - The game may have had some issues and been hammered by the reviewers but I consider it to be ones of the best RPGs of the generation. The game offered a very unique experience for a RPG by using a modern spy story for it's setting. It also had a few mechanics that I really enjoyed.

1) Attitude Tree - I've never been fond of some of the dialog trees that some games use. You choose an option but the character ends up saying something completely different than what you thought the context was. With Alpha Protocol you just picked the attitude you were going to respond with. It made it interesting to try and figure out how to act around the person you were talking to and it didn't have hte misleading dialog trees.

2) No Alignment - Far too many games have an alignment system that requires you to be a saint or a lunatic the entire game to be able to use the best gear. I've always hated this because there are times where I feel that the other option is better but I don't do it otherwise I miss out on the good stuff. This isn't a problem with this game and I can handle each situation as I see fit.

3) Choices Matter - Too many games let you make a choice but in the end they rarely matter. There are a ton of choices that you can make in this game that can have a significant effect on how things can play out in the game. Kill the arms dealers and the enemies in the area will have weaker weapons. Let him live and you will have more options of weapons to buy at a discount.

4) Perks - One thing I love in RPGs are the various perks and bonuses I can get by doing various things. This game hands out a ton of minor bonuses based on how you play the game that will really add up.

This is easily one of my favorite RPGs and it is often overlooked due to it's poor reviews, which I feel is underserved. Too many people went in thinking the game would be like a typical TPS and hated it when it wasn't. This is a RPG more like the original Deus Ex. You have to invest points in your combat skills if you want to get the most out of them otherwise you will be awful in combat.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 28 (261 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
793 posts

May 6, 2013

I never finished AP but I enjoyed the part I played. There were some issues with it that aggravated me at times. It's actually on my list of former games to revisit someday. I'm not sure I will tho. At release, it was a poor value. For the price it sells for now it is a solid value. 

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 28 (247 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8473 posts

May 7, 2013
aside from the broken enemy AI, alpha protocol is a really good game :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 28 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

May 15, 2013
Alpha protocol was not an rpg. At all. Also it was a good game but it was so **bleep** short. They could have went so much further with it. The game itself is good but the choices really didn't matter that much other then picking where you started in what city. Which all of that was so short. You would do like three missions and it be over you barely had time to talk with a new character beforemthey were gone for good. It was pretty good just could have been so much better.
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 28 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

May 17, 2013

Nier is definetly overlooked. While the gameplay is lacking and the grapfics are dull, it's still a very unique and emotional experience.

Folklore could be considered RPG? Because that's another game that was severely overlooked.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 28 (182 Views)
0 Likes