PlayStation MVP
809 posts

Re: Overlooked PS3 RPGs

May 20, 2013

IX-lycaon wrote:

Nier is definetly overlooked. While the gameplay is lacking and the grapfics are dull, it's still a very unique and emotional experience.

Thank you! Nier was a wonderful game which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was defintely a sleeper hit for me. I've recommended it to many people. 

And I would definitely label Alpha Protocol an RPG. Obsidian definitely meant it to be one. Espionage RPG I think they labeled it. 

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 21 of 28 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

May 22, 2013
Def not an rpg. Meir was really not that good. If anything action rpg.
Message 22 of 28 (220 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

May 30, 2013

I haven't really been able to get into Nier.  I need to try it again one day.  Though I am anxiously awaiting Drakengard 3 since I was a fan of 1 and 2.

I loved Eternal Sonata.  I think I stopped at the optional dungeon with rank 5 or 6 battles.  The ones that changed the special's buttons to random, made it way harder.

I think Folklore was pretty awesome.  I never got to finish it but it was very different.  Not a true RPG.. as in turn based and random battles but nice.

Message 23 of 28 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1770 posts

May 31, 2013

Resonance of Fate (RoF) hands down. I loved that game. It was so weird and quirky.

I also vote for Rainbow Moon. If you look at the trophies you may think "holy crap, I have to reach level 500", but it's nothing. There is some grinding, but the game is a lot of fun.

Message 24 of 28 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Jun 8, 2013

My 0.02...

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel, if you can get past the odd graphical glitches and the occasional lockup, is an affordable, more-than-competent Diablo clone that has both quirk and charm to spare. It features an expansive overworld (with 42 towns), six character classes (hats off to Ascaron for creating the Temple Guardians!), tons of loot- both randomized and special quest-based, customizable skillsets and battle combos, unique mounts, 2 campaigns, 5 difficulty levels, and over 500 subquests.

Best of all, the game's online is peer-to-peer, so up to four players can play online for as long as the PSN exists (two players local)!

(The game also introduced me to German power metal band Blind Guardian, but that is neither here nor there...)

Yes, I am a Homestuck. DEAL WITH IT.
Message 25 of 28 (142 Views)
PlayStation MVP
809 posts

Jun 8, 2013

Sacred 2 is an All Time great PS3 Title. 

Please, no blank friend requests - let me know who you are!

Playstation MVP Terms & Conditions
Message 26 of 28 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Jun 9, 2013

Ressonence of Fate, Sacred 2, Valkeria Chronicles, and Cross Edge are all titles that I have enjoyed, yet I feel they were under appreciated by the community.  RoF had a challenging structure and a unique, yet traditional, gameplay system.  Sacred 2 was just awsome for playing online with friends, and while it might not live up to some of the other open world games out there, it could most certainly have been used to fill the void where months would go by with no good titles to look into.

Valkeria Chronicles was just a masterpeice in my opinion.  The story was great, the gameplay was great, the characters were great...the game was just plain awesome (deserved Skyrim sales without a doubt).  My only real problem with it was how the developer made the sequels for hand held gamers.  I haven't owned a hand held since I was a kid and see no reason to go out and get one for a few games.  Sadly this poor marketing choice is what killed the series for me.

Cross Edge...ah Cross Edge.  You were such a flawed and annoying game at times, yet you had a certain charm about you that just wouldn't let me put down the controller.  I don't know if it was the searching for hidden items, making sure I had everything PERFECT to get the best ending, unlocking the hidden levels, or the charm and nostalgia I got from the familiar characters found in the game.  Normally cross over games are just bad, but this one was an exception.  It was not a perfect game by any means, but it was certainly worthy to be an entry in any true RPG gamer's library.

That said, I have never played Eternal Sonata.  I'm always wanting to get it, but I can't seem to find the time to play it and forget about it for a while.  Perhaps when I'm done with Dragon's Dogma DA, Skyrim DLC, God of War Acension, and The Last of Us (pre ordered already), I will look into getting the game to hold me over till the PS4 gets here if nothing else catches my eye.

~Shiken~

Shikenator Trophy Card
Message 27 of 28 (127 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jun 10, 2013
I would have to say alpha protocol ... It wasent the greatest game but it was fun for me.
Message 28 of 28 (120 Views)
0 Likes