Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 17 2012
By: Seok-hwan First Son 3 posts

PLEASE HELP!!! Bring MMO's to PS3

21 replies 452 views Edited Jul 17, 2012

Hi I sent an email to Playstation and they pretty much told me to post here, the email went a little something like this:                            Hello, my name is Joey, PSN ID Seok-hwan, first I must say I am a huge fan of Hyung-Tae Kim (character concept artist) so I was very excited to hear Blade & Soul (PC MMO) would be coming to PS3 and very disappointed when I heard it was a rumor. Can you please confirm? Also is Kingdom Under Fire 2 and Guild Wars 2 ( both PC MMO's) coming to PS3? Lineage 2 or 3? Thank you for making Defiance and Dust514 for PS3, I can't wait to try them both out. I'm a PS3 gamer through & through, I don't want to switch to PC gaming but the fantasy MMO's have so much to offer, please I beg of you!!! LOL but seriously, bring as many MMO's to PS3 as possible. One argument ( by MMOhut YouTuber who offers over 200 free to play MMO's) says "not everyone has a console but just about everyone does have a PC" the truth behind this claim(in my opinion) is that not everyone, in fact not even half, of PC owners have a PC capable of running these games; plus the hassle that goes into finding new drivers( graphics & sound), downloading, & installing is more than most people want to deal with. The PS3 is very user friendly, I think that if you were to bring as many fantasy MMO's as possible to the PS3 you would soon have an extreme increase in the amount of PS3 owners and players all around the world. ( especially in China & Korea) I thank you for your time and any consideration you give towards this email. I AM PS3 Gamer ""Seok-hwan"", Binary Domain Invasion score 442 kills/ 0 deaths

I am PS3 Gamer Seok-hwan, Binary Domain Invasion score 442kills/ 0 deaths
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 22 (452 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! Bring MMO's to PS3

Jul 17, 2012

I am sorry if I made my post in the wrong area, this is my first time here

I am PS3 Gamer Seok-hwan, Binary Domain Invasion score 442kills/ 0 deaths
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 22 (451 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
664 posts

Jul 18, 2012
Final Fantasy 14 is coming later this year. If that goes well, maybe we'll see more MMOs
"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 22 (442 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Jul 19, 2012
^ Lets hope they don't mess it up, again
But you are right, being MP so much a staple this days, I don't see why consoles haven't gotten their hands on good MMO's
Playing Lineage on PS3? That I would like
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 22 (438 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2508 posts

Jul 19, 2012

Blade & Soul only recently released in Korea or w/e  That's about 1-3 years away and PS3 shoudl be here by then lol  The problem here is that some MMOs won't run well on the game consoles. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 22 (436 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
664 posts

Jul 19, 2012

@Arkthur_us
Agreed, hopefully they get it right this time.

As mentioned, consoles have a hard time with MMOs due to their hardware restrictions. But, if Sqenix can get FFXIV to work, thats a huge step because that game is brutal on hardware.

Heres to hoping. I enjoy MMOs, but I gave up PC gaming because of the constant upgrades needed to keep up with the latest games.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 22 (431 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5935 posts

Jul 19, 2012

Brozz65 wrote:
Final Fantasy 14 is coming later this year. If that goes well, maybe we'll see more MMOs

Just a small correction, FF 14 is due out this winter, that`s late this year or early next year. So Early 2013 is still in the time range Square Enix has set.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 22 (428 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1095 posts

Jul 19, 2012
Robust MMO's on a console are tough because of the freedom a keyboard provides. It's also tough because an MMO requires a large and active user base to succeed which means a global participation. More people worldwide have pc's than ps3's and are most popular mmo's can be run on lower settings on any somewhat modern pc. Upgrading hardware to keep up with graphics in MMO's isn't really an issue comparable to playing standalone games. Most MMO developers resist pushing the hardware requirements as to preserve their user base and it allows them resources to focus on quest making and loot designing.

I do believe that pared down mmo games are possible though on ps3 although more in the vein of titles like Dark Souls.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 22 (426 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
664 posts

Jul 19, 2012
@ pacnyc - Dark Souls isnt a MMO, not even close, and the online play is a disaster. Demons Souls has far better co-op, but still not anything like a MMO.
Also, the PS3 can use a keyboard, any USB keyboard
And dont say hardware upgrades arent an issue with MMOs. Maybe not in ancient ones like WoW & EQ2, but for the newer ones, hardware and PC performance is a very important factors in how the game will run.
And not all "somewhat modern" PCs will run newer MMOs. When in fact, low and mid grade machines will struggle even on low visual settings.
Also, lower cost machines have on board graphics. Try and run ANY newer MMO on that. All I can say is, good luck with that.

@chaos789 - I am corrected. The beta is due to start later this year, but as you said, no final release date is set
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 22 (422 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1095 posts

Jul 19, 2012
I'm sorry but I did not imply any of those things you said. I said upgrading hardware to keep up with an MMO is not as much of an issue compared upgrading to keep up with games like Crysis, the curve is much less steep.

Secondly, purchasing a USB keyboard as a peripheral for PS3 will not contribute to a fast growing user base the way already having one on a pc does. The keyboard setup is also not convenient for living room setups.

Somewhat modern also did not mean lower cost. I meant modern in the sense of newer hardware specs, never once implied generic parts.

Hopefully this clarifies my prior points.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 22 (416 Views)