Dec 14 2012
By: Johnboycoolmoose Splicer 65 posts

Sony needs Square-Soft

10 replies 351 views Edited Dec 14, 2012

Sony needs to rebuilt Square-Soft back to how they were back in the day when if Square-Soft was on the box the game was sold!

Square-Soft was the best gaming company of all time even today!

Message 1 of 11 (351 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11450 posts

Re: Sony needs Square-Soft

Dec 14, 2012

It's not that it's Sony would need to revert Square from their funk. Over time Square Enix just changed brands and has been evolving toward their current destiny, the one where more and more of their games fare less than they used to. There was once a time when most games by the company once known as Squaresoft were each glorious. That time has passed as Square and most other Japanese companies picked up their stakes and sided with companies outside their region. This tactic has been done so they can continue to thrive. When Square Enix purchased all Eidos properties, they were able to print their name on everything from Hitman to Tomb Raider. Now a more Westernized focus, Square isn't the same RPG maker who would toil for hours building the finest role-playing games in their workshop. They've had important people over the years part ways from them. They've made decisions to reshape their outline for game design. They've even been sharing the office cooler with the people at Enix, who once were their competition and now have most likely participated in certain changes why the Square we once knew is no longer easily recognizable.

Message 2 of 11 (346 Views)
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Dec 14, 2012

So you're suggesting that Sony needs to buy Square-Enix... Yeah probably not a terrible idea considering SE's games lately (last 6 years). 

They could start by firing anyone responsible for working on Final Fantasy XIII. :smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 11 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2012

For me:  "Square" = "Epic";  "Squaresoft" = "Epic";  "Enix" = "Epic";  "Square-Electronic Arts" = "Pretty good";  "Square-Enix" =  "OK".

I don't necessarily "hate" their games of late.  I just don't like them sticking to that particular "theme" that they started to follow years ago when FF10 was in development.  Back then, Yoshinori Kitase mentioned that they were following the theme of "avoiding popular elements from previous installments".  That was about 12 years ago.  That statement FLOORED me.  The ONLY reason that company was so successful with the 1st 9 titles was because they kept those popular elements while enhancing them and adding new ideas to the series at the same time.  I strongly feel they need to "embrace" those well-received ideas.  Not "avoid them".

Personally, it was the "expansive world" of FF1 back in 1990 that impressed me the most.  "Square" got my attention with that game.  It was my 1st RPG.  Anyway, not being able to freely traverse FF worlds via land, sea, and air anymore has reeeeally ticked me off. lol  I feel so "limited" with the games these days.

"If I ever type a question, will you read it?"
Message 4 of 11 (329 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41402 posts

Dec 17, 2012

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

So you're suggesting that Sony needs to buy Square-Enix... Yeah probably not a terrible idea considering SE's games lately (last 6 years). 

They could start by firing anyone responsible for working on Final Fantasy XIII. :smileyhappy:

SCE is the 3rd largest shareholder in Square-Enix (8.25%; the largest one has 20.47%).  Wondering how things would be different if they were the majority (I imagine of all things, DQ wouldn't be tied up with Nintendo entirely).

Message 5 of 11 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8905 posts

Dec 17, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

SCE is the 3rd largest shareholder in Square-Enix (8.25%; the largest one has 20.47%).  Wondering how things would be different if they were the majority (I imagine of all things, DQ wouldn't be tied up with Nintendo entirely).

God the Nintendo days bring back memories.  I remember falling in love with Dragon Quest and those Slimes lol.  Ah the good old gaming days when finding a really good RPG was easy.

Message 6 of 11 (311 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

They could fire your face! (yes I know that doesn't make sense) Final Fantasy XIII was an amazing game. Yes there were flaws, what game doesn't have one, but for all it's flaws, it came out fantastic. The story was great and the battale style was very innovative. My biggest issue has been the same since FFX. There is no world map to roam and no airship to fly. FFXIII was worse sbout that in I couldn't go back to places previously visited, but it was still good.

Message 7 of 11 (217 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41402 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Diabeetus07 wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

They could fire your face! (yes I know that doesn't make sense) Final Fantasy XIII was an amazing game. Yes there were flaws, what game doesn't have one, but for all it's flaws, it came out fantastic. The story was great and the battale style was very innovative. My biggest issue has been the same since FFX. There is no world map to roam and no airship to fly. FFXIII was worse sbout that in I couldn't go back to places previously visited, but it was still good.

Versus is supposed to have a return of the World Map and Airships (?) but we're still at the obstacle of wondering when in the world that's even going to release.

Message 8 of 11 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8905 posts

Jan 15, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

Diabeetus07 wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

Versus is supposed to have a return of the World Map and Airships (?) but we're still at the obstacle of wondering when in the world that's even going to release.

Versus wont be known as Versus no more.  I predict E3 they will rename it FFXV because everyone is sick of FFXIII series

Message 9 of 11 (167 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41402 posts

Jan 15, 2013

mixedkidbx wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Diabeetus07 wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

Versus wont be known as Versus no more.  I predict E3 they will rename it FFXV because everyone is sick of FFXIII series

They can still keep the 'Versus' and drop the 'XIII' like they did with 'Agito' being renamed 'Type-0' but I figure they'll do that with Versus (what you said).  Rename it to the next mainline title and multiplatform it cause it's taken so long and there is so much fan interest in it...and it is/was PS3 exclusive :smileyindifferent:  That's if they overstep Nomura cause I think he still wants to keep it exclusive and has touted the game/things they've done with the engine for the PS3 hardware.

Message 10 of 11 (165 Views)
0 Likes