Apr 12 2013
By: White_oyster PlayStation MVP 3472 posts

Sony wants more than FPS

5 replies 843 views Edited Apr 12, 2013

Lets hope this bodes well for more RPG"s on PS4!   It took an insanely long time for RPG's to have a presence on the PS3.  It's great to hear Sony wants to really try to have a balanced range of genres, hopefully Sony will focus on RPG's again with their internal studios.  One can only hope.

http:/http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/10/sony-exec-would-hate-to-see-all-ps4-games-being-fps

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 1 of 6 (843 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11506 posts

Re: Sony wants more than FPS

Apr 12, 2013

In the article though (at least the one I read) they were focusing on Knack to say that the PlayStation 4 isn't just about first-person shooters or big blockbuster games like Infamous: Second Son. Knack is indeed neither one of those franchise, although from what I've seen of the game I'm not entirely sure it's a franchise I'm willing to hop on board. I'd love to see Sony's internal studio(s) once again developing RPGs, though. The last Sony-published RPG I think I've bought was White Knight Chronicles, which of course was developed by the external Level-5. What ever happened to Sony concentrating on role-playing titles themselves like with Okage: Shadow King and The Legend of Dragoon?

Message 2 of 6 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Apr 12, 2013
I agree. Ps2 had sooo many rpg,s which they REFUSE to put on psn. Ps3 had barely any. Lets hope four has a lot. This is a great post sir. Also vita would be great for rpg,s and they have released only one or two games worth getting since its release. It's been horrible.
Message 3 of 6 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Apr 12, 2013
Give the vita time. If you only play rpgs, then I can see the lack of them on the system being problematic, but it is off to a faster start than the ps3. On the ps3, we got Valkyria Chronicles, and a few others, but Valkyria Chronicles was the only one of note for a good while. I can think of worse things to play than enhanced ports of two great jrpgs, one of which is from later on in the ps3's life cycle, and the other of which isn't available on the ps3 at all.

Anyways, I've never felt that Sony has let me down in terms of variety. I've been really impressed with what studios like Quantic Dream and Japan Studio have turned out, and am excited for their upcoming titles. I suppose Sony did try to play the fps game for a while, but their competition is so much better at it. Consequently, Sony has had to put their eggs into other baskets, and I'm thankful they have. The competition is great for fps, but for someone like myself who likes variety, the ps3 has got it in spades. If Sony's going to push towards having more variety on the ps4, then things are only going to get better.
Message 4 of 6 (139 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Apr 13, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

In the article though (at least the one I read) they were focusing on Knack to say that the PlayStation 4 isn't just about first-person shooters or big blockbuster games like Infamous: Second Son. Knack is indeed neither one of those franchise, although from what I've seen of the game I'm not entirely sure it's a franchise I'm willing to hop on board. I'd love to see Sony's internal studio(s) once again developing RPGs, though. The last Sony-published RPG I think I've bought was White Knight Chronicles, which of course was developed by the external Level-5. What ever happened to Sony concentrating on role-playing titles themselves like with Okage: Shadow King and The Legend of Dragoon?

Yes the article was focusing on Knack, but saying they want more variety of software than just FPS would also mean more than gamesl like Knack, so I'm hopefully (maybe naively) choosing to beleive more variety also includes RPG's.  And as Sony (before I was playing PS games) has some RPG's on their resume that are very highly thought of, we can only hope that this variety includes their own first party studios as well and they don't forget about RPG's.  

Though I have been very impressed with the types of non shooters Sony has come out with this generation.  Studio Japan has done some fantastic things, and continuing that trend with games like Puppeteer.  But a lot of people have been waiting for them to try their hand at RPG's again and that comment at least gives a possible glimmer of hope.

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 5 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8488 posts

Apr 14, 2013
Let's hope it's not all talk cuz for all intents and purposes, Sony has abandoned the RPG genre.
Message 6 of 6 (84 Views)
0 Likes