Gaming Beast
2235 posts

Re: The monthly fee (MMO's).

Oct 3, 2010

my argument is : I hate monthly fees

i like FF 14

I ll play FF 14 and pay monthly fee-bust still hate payin monthly fee.

Same as for all of us who hate paying taxes but still payin them cuz we need to get the paycheck.

Photobucket
Message 121 of 124 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
204 posts

Nov 27, 2010

To go back to my argument about people who pay to play ruin it for everyone else, imagine this.   Next year they decide to show the Superbowl on Pay-per-view and the cost is $200.  It's reported that If the ratings are too low they will never do it again. Now let's assume for the sake of argument that you are a football fan and really want to see the superbowl but decide that the $200 fee is just outrageous so you decide to skip it this year.  Afterwards the ratings come in and it's reported that the total number of viewers for the Superbowl was so high that the NFL decides that they're going to do it again next year.  At what point do you stop getting mad at the NFL for making a marketing decision and instead get mad at the people paying $200 each?   For me it's right away.  The people who are willing to pay it ruin it for those who aren't. 

Message 122 of 124 (20 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Nov 27, 2010

Breaubant wrote:

I don' t understand why so many people complain about monthly fees to play MMO's.

First off, with an MMO, you are going to get an exponentially larger number of hours of gameplay than you would get out of a standard title! You can easily spend 100's of hours playing an MMO, as opposed to a standard RPG. For the standard cost of an MMO, you could play for 4 months for the price of one game that you would beat in a week.

Secondly, there are constant updates. Your monthly fees allow for development of new content and fixes of any bugged content. New items, new quests, etc . A good portion of the fees go right back into development; either for regular content updates, or bug fixes, or development of expansion packs. In other words, your fees go right back into supporting new content for you to enjoy.

Thirdly, your fees go toward eliminating glitchers and griefers. A good MMO has to have good customer support.

Finally, there is the running and maintaining of the servers.

I'm always confused when I see people complain about the monthly fee for an MMO. A persistent, ever changing world; constant content updates; bug fixes; and the opportunity to make and play with new (and old) friends all make the monthly fee for a good MMO more than a reasonable cost, and a good value for your entertainment dollar.

I totally agree with you!

now just bring EQOA 2 to the ps3

Message 123 of 124 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8519 posts

Nov 28, 2010

jedi1josh wrote:

To go back to my argument about people who pay to play ruin it for everyone else, imagine this.   Next year they decide to show the Superbowl on Pay-per-view and the cost is $200.  It's reported that If the ratings are too low they will never do it again. Now let's assume for the sake of argument that you are a football fan and really want to see the superbowl but decide that the $200 fee is just outrageous so you decide to skip it this year.  Afterwards the ratings come in and it's reported that the total number of viewers for the Superbowl was so high that the NFL decides that they're going to do it again next year.  At what point do you stop getting mad at the NFL for making a marketing decision and instead get mad at the people paying $200 each?   For me it's right away.  The people who are willing to pay it ruin it for those who aren't. 

That's not a good comparison. In terms of work put into the things, an MMO has a vast percentage more work put into it than a standard game, compared to the Super Bowl to a standard football game. You're paying in an MMO for the service of maintaining the servers and getting free CONTENT updates. You underestimate how big the bimonthly update in FFXI was.

Message 124 of 124 (20 Views)
0 Likes