Jul 21 2008
By: fullmetalcrusade Fender Bender 3161 posts

To all the RPG naysayers

22 replies 23 views Edited Jul 21, 2008

Ok so I was talking with my friend about E3 tonight and I figured its time to post my thoughts on this.

A lot of PS fans complained that there weren't any RPGs really displayed or mentioned at last weeks E3. By any company really not just Sony. Well theres a very good reason for this.

Think for a second, E3 is only ONE of the big gaming conferances of the year, the other is the Tokyo Game Show(TGS)

Several Japanese big wigs have expressed their growing disinterest in E3, Mr. Miyamoto has even gon so far to say that he really prefers not to have too many big announcements at E3.

So why is this? And what does it have to do with RPGs?

Well, its this way simply because American gamers have little interest in RPGs. The RPG market here is a niche one, most game sales in NA are either in the action adventure category, or the dominant shooter catigory. So, why would a dev spend the time and money creating a presentation to show off an RPG, only to have it be vastly overshadowed by some FPS, be that FPS good, mediocre,or bad. Its just the way things are in this region, we are mostly comprised of FPS fans, FPS fans who don't care nearly as much about RPGs. Now of course there are certain games that can break the boundries, namely Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. But these types of games are very rare.

So whats the point of all this? Simple, Wait, patience will be rewarded. If we are to listen to guys like Miyamoto and Kojima, then we should expect to see the bulk of what Japanese devs have to offer at TGS, and this is a trend thats been going on for a few years now. SE waited until TGS to reveal the PSP KH game, and the only have elaborated on it at Japanese events. I suspect we will see a lot more PS3 RPGs come this fall at TGS, devs simply want to show them off where they will get the most attention. 

Message 1 of 23 (23 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1160 posts

Re: To all the RPG naysayers

Jul 21, 2008
interesting hypothesis.  its not nessarily that RPG is niche but a lot of JRPGs are, where WRPGs are becoming more accepted.  definitely true that a lot of gamers in the US wouldn't want to "waste" the time on a long game and would rather go through several short games that they enjoy.  Also probably notice that turned based RPGs are becoming rarities while action based or adventure RPGs are becoming more popular/common.
Video Games: Not an Addiction, but a Lifestyle!!!
Message 2 of 23 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2939 posts

Jul 21, 2008
while you hold some valid points i mainly have to disagree with you. yes they probably waited for tgs. but heres the thing e3 is mainly meant for americans. thats where majority of games get announce for an american debut. tgs is about japans. so basically yes we will most likely see rpgs get announced but who is to say that they will come to the US. we barely manage eternal sonata for US and tears to teria is not even coming. and to the people who says it looks like ps2. are you on crack? i never seen a ps2 game look like that nor with its lighting. ahem.. back to topic. then there are other rpgs that may not make like cross edge. probably not. TGS is meant for japan's gamers not us so its nothing for us to get too happy about. a game could very well be announced but don't expect that game to come over to the US for at least a 1yr+. your too optimistic. im more of a realist to pestimist. you will be less dissapointed if your one as well. i was too overly optemistic as well up untill this year. it will piss you off when more then a couple games you were waiting for to find out that its being dumb down or on another console completely and for you to play it you would have to spend 300+ just to play the game.
Message 3 of 23 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1920 posts

Jul 21, 2008
Oh is that why the competition has 9 RPG's coming out on their system over the next 5 months? Please next time try harder!
Message 4 of 23 (23 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3472 posts

Jul 21, 2008

Some interesting thoughts.  To me though it seems more of an indication of E3 dying.  It is a shadow of its former self.  Every person in the games industry seems to hate E3 and are very glad its on its death bed.  The only people who love it and miss the old E3 are consumers such as me, I miss it terribly, and it seems the press does as well.  But E3 is just not important anymore, and it really showed this year more than ever.  The big three press conferences were a joke, and there were hardly any new announcements.  Most of what happened at E3 we already knew about which made the entire conference redunant.

The trend now seems to be more smaller events held by individual companies.  Such as Ubidays, and Nintendos summit conference or whatever its called. And I'm sure Sony has one as well.

I think a lot of great stuff will be shown at the TGS, but as was said who knows what of it will make it to North America.  We get teased by seeing all this great stuff only for it to never arrive!  Thank god there is at least one Company like Atlus though who brings some of the stuff over. 

But yeah, I think that is why there were no announcements.  E3 is just not the place anymore. There was this fantastic interview though I watched up at Kotaku with a Sony representative.  They didn't really talk about specific games, more about things in general but it really warmed my heart and gave me a very positive outlook at some of the directions Sony is taking.  

I was really worried for a while about the lack of RPG's, but I'm not anymore.  The fact that I know Eternal Sonata is coming has made me very happy, and hearing things like that interview and seeing the slow but steady growth of the PS3's user base and its game library has made me realize the RPG's will come.  And I am also optimistic that in the end a lot of the other box's RPG's will be ported to the PS3 eventually.

But yeah, E3 was a catastrophe and it can't be taken seriously.  Just because there were no announcements doesn't mean anything.  

But Miyamoto is a genius, whatever he says should never be discarded by listeners but thought upon.  When he talks, poeple listen and for good reason.  

I'm in love with him I think, and his dog Pick. 

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 5 of 23 (23 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11212 posts

Jul 21, 2008

Well spoken Fullmetal, I'd Kudos you if I could.

E3 is a joke, even to most Americans. Over the last year or so that I've been here, I've seen more people interested in what came out of the TGS than they cared about E3.

Yes, the 360 has more RPGs out at the moment and yes, they stole some of Sony's momentum with the FFXIII announcement. But in the overall scheme of life what does it truely matter if the 360 gets the RPGs first and Sony 2nd? It might feel like sloppy seconds to the fanatics, but I play games for 1 reason and 1 reason only; To Have Fun.

The more gamers that get to enjoy a game, the better. The more gamers that buy a game, the better. Because chances are, we'll see more come here. I'm getting somewhat annoyed defending Sony against the barbarian  hordes that have been foaming at the bits for the last 2 years. I don't knock the 360. I don't knock the Wii. Both companies deserve props for what they've managed to do.

So few people realize exactly the impact gaming has had over the last 3 decades +. I remember when the only people that played video games were kids. Then it was only kids and geeks. Slowly, since the 90s and Playstation's rise to fame, video games have become far more mainstream than ever. That makes me happy. The original PS sold more systems and games than all other consoles of the generation it was part of and all consoles prior to it, combined. The PS2 sold even more than the PS1. 3 years into the 7th generation of gaming (we're still in the early stages) and there are over 65 million consoles in homes across the globe. There are over 100million 7th gen handhelds in homes world wide. Gaming is a multi-billion dollar industry, a far cry from the piddly millions of the 80s.

More Games. More Toys. Oh boy! I wanna be a Toys-R-Us kid!

The games are out there. With more coming all the time. I look forward to every piece of news I get about the games I enjoy the most. I sit and wonder at the rate in which technology advances. The games today look nothing like the ones I played 28 years ago. What will games look like when I have grandkids that are just getting started with games? I can only imagine.

The Tokyo Game Show will reveal many more games. The SE event will show more information and I'm sure some interesting news. Love it. Hate it. Whatever. The games will come one way or another. One place or another. Take it with a grain of salt and enjoy the games however or whereever you want.

Message 6 of 23 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
413 posts

Jul 21, 2008

Papawarlock wrote:

Well spoken Fullmetal, I'd Kudos you if I could.

E3 is a joke, even to most Americans. Over the last year or so that I've been here, I've seen more people interested in what came out of the TGS than they cared about E3.

Yes, the 360 has more RPGs out at the moment and yes, they stole some of Sony's momentum with the FFXIII announcement. But in the overall scheme of life what does it truely matter if the 360 gets the RPGs first and Sony 2nd? It might feel like sloppy seconds to the fanatics, but I play games for 1 reason and 1 reason only; To Have Fun.

The more gamers that get to enjoy a game, the better. The more gamers that buy a game, the better. Because chances are, we'll see more come here. I'm getting somewhat annoyed defending Sony against the barbarian  hordes that have been foaming at the bits for the last 2 years. I don't knock the 360. I don't knock the Wii. Both companies deserve props for what they've managed to do.

So few people realize exactly the impact gaming has had over the last 3 decades +. I remember when the only people that played video games were kids. Then it was only kids and geeks. Slowly, since the 90s and Playstation's rise to fame, video games have become far more mainstream than ever. That makes me happy. The original PS sold more systems and games than all other consoles of the generation it was part of and all consoles prior to it, combined. The PS2 sold even more than the PS1. 3 years into the 7th generation of gaming (we're still in the early stages) and there are over 65 million consoles in homes across the globe. There are over 100million 7th gen handhelds in homes world wide. Gaming is a multi-billion dollar industry, a far cry from the piddly millions of the 80s.

More Games. More Toys. Oh boy! I wanna be a Toys-R-Us kid!

The games are out there. With more coming all the time. I look forward to every piece of news I get about the games I enjoy the most. I sit and wonder at the rate in which technology advances. The games today look nothing like the ones I played 28 years ago. What will games look like when I have grandkids that are just getting started with games? I can only imagine.

The Tokyo Game Show will reveal many more games. The SE event will show more information and I'm sure some interesting news. Love it. Hate it. Whatever. The games will come one way or another. One place or another. Take it with a grain of salt and enjoy the games however or whereever you want.

what a speech! lol grand kids? wow u must be real old. sorry lol

*Playing - Tales of Vesperia + Infinite Undiscovery
*Games I'm getting- Star Ocean 4, Final Fantasy 13 / Versus 13, Little Big Planet, Resident Evil 5, Prince of Persia, Last reniment, God of War 3, Fat Princess, Star Craft 2, Diablo 3.
*WOOt! TOV is the best!
Message 7 of 23 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3161 posts

Jul 21, 2008

Soulwatcher1974 wrote:
Oh is that why the competition has 9 RPG's coming out on their system over the next 5 months? Please next time try harder!

The competitions dominate market is NA, they have to make the biggest announcements at E3 because, lets face it, at TGS no one will care. They are essentially trying to win over the RPG niche here in NA because they seem to have realized Japan, and to some extent Europe, is a lost cause. They can't pull out any punches when it comes to E3, its the best shot they have at wowing the audience. Sure, there are a lot of gamers in this country who watch TGS just as closely as E3, but even from a business standpoint, E3 just makes more sense. Now, as for Sony, they have Japan AND NA AND EU to try and win over. Japan will be easiest for them because the Nin is essentially the only competition they have in that region. And again, they don't want to be overshadowed by the gears and Killzones of E3, those games get a lot less press at TGS. It makes sense to just hold off games that will do better in the Japanese market for TGS, and theres only one company looking at E3 to really wow people. Thats also why Sony only showed games liek Killzone 2 and Resistance 2, because at E3 those games will kill, but at TGS they will only be mildly covered. 

Message 8 of 23 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
413 posts

Jul 21, 2008

E3 is a joke, and its also pathetic for RPG players.

*Playing - Tales of Vesperia + Infinite Undiscovery
*Games I'm getting- Star Ocean 4, Final Fantasy 13 / Versus 13, Little Big Planet, Resident Evil 5, Prince of Persia, Last reniment, God of War 3, Fat Princess, Star Craft 2, Diablo 3.
*WOOt! TOV is the best!
Message 9 of 23 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1655 posts

Jul 21, 2008

you know.. that's what i like about 360.

they care about HERE. we're not getting games released months or even YEARS behind other territories. 

i could care less about what's going on in japan. 

Message 10 of 23 (23 Views)
0 Likes