Feb 16 2013
By: eefantasy812 Splicer 64 posts
Accepted Solution

What is a hardcore RPG gamer?

12 replies 477 views Edited Feb 16, 2013

I am asking this question because I always here this phrase when they talk about RPGs games. Does it mean people who only play MMORPGs or what?  I just like to hear everyone's responses on the matter. 

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (477 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Re: What is a hardcore RPG gamer?

Feb 16, 2013

All depends. I don't use the term "hardcore" when it comes to gaming at all. A gamer is a gamer. If you like RPGs then that's all that should matter.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (467 Views)
PlayStation MVP
10782 posts

Feb 17, 2013

Hardcore gamers themselves you think of when categorizing someone into a description that says they're all about such and such. If you're "hardcore" about RPGs, then that should mean you have a great deal of experience with the genre itself.

Does this mean you're the greatest gamer in that category? Not necessarily. Rather, it's someone who is more inclined to have experience with a great many RPGs, whether that means they play plenty of MMORPGs or offline RPGs. I wouldn't say someone who picks up their first-ever RPG and plays the game incessantly to be "hardcore" about the genre. Instead, I would think someone brimming with years of RPG capacity to be a better example of terming them in the phrase of such classification.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (449 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
285 posts

Feb 18, 2013

I've been playing rpgs for over 22 years now.  It's my favorite genre.  If I was wealthy enough, I'd buy every rpg ever made. lol  Well, then again, maybe not 'every' rpg.  I don't think the rpg genre is as good as it used to be.  The '90s had the best rpg games IMO.

"If I ever type a question, will you read it?"
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (439 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Feb 18, 2013

"Hardcore" in any genre seems to reflect the "elite" gamers who pride themselves on having the best items in the game, massive total hours played, the ability to forgo personal hygiene, food, family and social interaction, and have cultivated a dilusional image of themselves that depicts something other than the hostile, agorophobic, borderline sociopathic person that they really are.

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (434 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 19, 2013

True it is in the sort of of way i'm replying off the above comment. Hardcore gamers are that just it depends how they classify themselves. Not every hardcore gamer is good in all genres but they have success in the specific genre or game. Not all players shouldn't be worried in what position they're in they are in gaming and being hardcore should be more like a status which i'm going to be chewed out about that.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (418 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3976 posts

Feb 19, 2013
My definition of "hardcore" is similar to GrayGargoyle's, but the term is often used in a pompous, elitist context, as Brozz65 brought up. It is also often used to try to give more weight to certain genres, that people who use the term "hardcore" tend to prefer, which I also disagree with. Personally, I think anyone who is a dedicated gamer be classified as "hardcore", regardless of his or her genre preferences.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (413 Views)
PlayStation MVP
46866 posts

Feb 19, 2013

eefantasy812 wrote:

I am asking this question because I always here this phrase when they talk about RPGs games. Does it mean people who only play MMORPGs or what?  I just like to hear everyone's responses on the matter. 

Thanks 

PhoenixArcher128, in my mind, is a hardcore RPG gamer.   Check out her videos on youtube, karcher128 is her account and you will see what I mean. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (404 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Feb 20, 2013
Thanks, I do that.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (393 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Feb 20, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

eefantasy812 wrote:

Thanks 

PhoenixArcher128, in my mind, is a hardcore RPG gamer.   Check out her videos on youtube, karcher128 is her account and you will see what I mean. 

I reckon I'm one of a minority when it comes to Youtube and video games. Heck, Youtube & I aren't on speaking terms to begin with. I don't use Youtube for very much. I can go months without even touching the site. When I do, it's almost never for video game video, video game reviews, or anything video game related. I find that there is far too much trash to wade through.

No offense to any of the good video posters out there.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (379 Views)
0 Likes