Wastelander
789 posts

Re: Which RPGs were you playing before there was a PlayStation?

Apr 6, 2013

Legend of Zelda 1 & 2
FF:1
Dragon Quest series
Dragon Warrior series
Phatasy Star series
Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Light
Landstalker 1 & 2

Im sure theres many more

Message 11 of 26 (174 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Apr 6, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Although not referred to as emulation, porting games is pretty much the same deal. It's bringing that same experience to a platform the game wasn't intended for. Like that of digitally distributed games, it's basically the same thing isn't it?

Through the PlayStation Network I've gotten plenty of RPGs I've either played before or haven't, Grandia being one example of an RPG I didn't play until recently. Through the Wii's Virtual Console I also managed to play Paper Mario for the first time, as I didn't have a Nintendo 64 at the time of the game's release. The original Star Ocean I'd eventually play myself, but that would be through the remake they did on the PlayStation Portable.

Yeah it's pretty much the same as emulation except it's legal and costs money.

What did you think of Grandia?

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 12 of 26 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11708 posts

Apr 7, 2013

Grandia is a game I wasn't a big fan of myself. In general I'd say the game was okay, but flawed. This was a few years ago when I initially played through the game, so my memory has faded on what was exactly wrong with the game. Though, I do believe the sound quality was one area where the game had failings.

Message 13 of 26 (164 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Apr 7, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Grandia is a game I wasn't a big fan of myself. In general I'd say the game was okay, but flawed. This was a few years ago when I initially played through the game, so my memory has faded on what was exactly wrong with the game. Though, I do believe the sound quality was one area where the game had failings.

I got the game a few months after it released in 1999 and at the time it was really good. This past December I went back to play it again through my PSN download and performance-wise it played better. In the original disc version there were times when the frame rate would really slow down but that wasn't present on the digital version. The voiceovers did not age well at all! lol

I really enjoyed the combat.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 14 of 26 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3472 posts

Apr 8, 2013

As a kid I loved games, but I hated RPG's.  Or thought I did.  And indeed there are some RPG elements I don't like now and didn't then.  Random battles being a big one.

I got it into my head that the menus were complicated and impossible to understand and you'd have to study a novel sized instruction book to comprehend any of it.   I'm not quite sure where I got that idea from, but my gimped underveloped brain probably hallucinated all kinds of things.  I also got it into my head that RPG's were just plain boring.  I wanted the excitement of Duck hunt and mario and Zelda.  I thought turn based battles was just the most boring thing on record.

I was an adult before I learned the error of my false beliefs.  And it was Paper Mario Thousand Year door that opened me up to how awesome they are.  Took a bit longer for me to try a SRPG, cause I had misconceptions about those as well.  Advance Wars Dual Strike opened me up to SRPGs.  

So I discovered how great RPG's are pretty late sadly

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Message 15 of 26 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 8, 2013

the_ed_85 wrote:

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (last Zelda game that I liked)

Brozz65 wrote:

Legend of Zelda 1 & 2

Outside of the second Zelda, the rest of the series is not an RPG series. No xp, no stat based combat, no RPG.

Message 16 of 26 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
54279 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Dragon's Quest back in the late 80's.  Then I really didn't play RPGs again until fallout 3.  

Message 17 of 26 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Apr 12, 2013
Of course every Super Nintendo rpg which are still amazing to this day. Saga was terrible with RPGs. I started with ultima 4 on nes
Message 18 of 26 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3979 posts

Apr 12, 2013
As someone who only started playing rpgs after high school, I don't have nearly the same history with the genre. I can say that it wasn't until then that I discovered rpgs open ps systems, despite ps consoles always being my systems of choice. I suppose I did play both of the first two Diablo games, the latter of which I played for years, and I did drop countless hours into a couple Pokemon games. I was also quite fond of The Lord of the Rings movie tie-ins for the gameboy advance. The funny thing is that I never knew what an rpg was all that time.Smiley Tongue So, though I love jrpgs, I can't say that it's the only genre I play. In fact, I like to shake things up with all kinds of different games. I do kind of wish I had that one genre that just makes me light up, like some people do, but I don't.

I can list all of the classic pre-ps jrpgs that I've played either remakes or enhanced ports of, or straight ports of emulated in a collection or digital download service. My first jrpg was the ds remake of FFIII(the real III). I also played some of the FFIV remake(didn't care for it as much as I thought I would). The enhanced port of Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite jrpgs ever though. I also enjoyed both of the first two Phantasy Star games in the Ultimate Genesis Collection(still haven't gotten to the other rpgs on that disc). I have Secret of Mana on my wii, but it's in my backlog, along with Super Mario RPG, but I expect I'll really enjoy both of them, based on the first little bit of each game.

I take a different approach to games than most people do. If I haven't played it, then it's new to me, and I don't care when it was made. I like to go back and discover old gems in addition to new ones, especially in a genre like jrpgs that I've only been playing for the past several years. Plus, I like to find out how a genre has progressed overtime. Some genres, like survival horror, have only been around since the 5th gen, and learning the ins and outs of how that genre started, and how it progressed wasn't too difficult. However, jrpgs are a different story, and have been around for at least a couple gens longer, so going back and experiencing even a fraction of them is an accomplishment. Sadly, I lack the same perspective on older rpgs that those who have been playing them all along have, but I can still try to figure out why certain games were regarded as classics, and if they're truly timeless, like Chrono Trigger, it's not too hard to figure out.
Message 19 of 26 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
789 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 12, 2013

PapaWarlock wrote:

the_ed_85 wrote:

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (last Zelda game that I liked)

Brozz65 wrote:

Legend of Zelda 1 & 2

Outside of the second Zelda, the rest of the series is not an RPG series. No xp, no stat based combat, no RPG.

The first Zelda was around even before the first Final Fantasy. It may not be an RPG by traditional standards, but many (including myself) credit that game for our introduction to RPGs.

Message 20 of 26 (62 Views)
0 Likes