Hekseville Citizen
305 posts

Re: White Knight Chronicles: Why You'll Want to Play Online

Jan 20, 2010

BaizDaza wrote:

Kajros wrote:

*drools*

Huh what was I doing?  Oh yeah, my only question about the online is about the questing.  Will you be able to repeat the same quests over and over again?

Message Edited by Kajros on 01-19-2010 04:13 PM

From what I've read online (from players who imported the Japanese version), yes you can.

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 11 of 19 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1352 posts

Jan 20, 2010

Mmm, this game looks awesome. Can't say it's not a tempting purchase. I mean, for $60, this game is really offering a LOT. The only thing scaring me away is...the gameplay. @_@

I'll have to watch some more videos on the subject. I wasn't a big fan of how Rogue Galaxy played, so I'm a bit worried about this one. Then again I sank in nearly 90 hours into that game, so...

R.I.P. Paul Harvey (Sept. 4, 1918 - Feb. 28, 2009)

Operation Dentiform Alignment Initiated on Wednesday September 3, 2008
Heavy Enforcers Added on Tuesday October 8, 2008

Message 12 of 19 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Jan 20, 2010

easyaspie00 wrote:

Mmm, this game looks awesome. Can't say it's not a tempting purchase. I mean, for $60, this game is really offering a LOT. The only thing scaring me away is...the gameplay. @_@

I'll have to watch some more videos on the subject. I wasn't a big fan of how Rogue Galaxy played, so I'm a bit worried about this one. Then again I sank in nearly 90 hours into that game, so...

90 hours is easily worth your money. After all, something in the game managed to keep your interest for that long.

For me I consider any game really good if I spend less than $1 per hour on it. If I finish the game in 40 ish hours and never have the desire to play it again, then I feel like I should of waited and bought it used/discounted.

Combat in WKC looks to be sort of similar to MMO's. You have an action bar of abilities you set up before battle, and the combat is slow enough you have time to think about what you are doing instead of just how fast can you press the 'X' button. There are a few hundred abilities you can select so there is a lot of variety in customizing your characters. For me that looks fun, but everyone will have their own opinion.

Message 13 of 19 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4713 posts

Jan 20, 2010

colstripcapn wrote:

easyaspie00 wrote:

90 hours is easily worth your money. After all, something in the game managed to keep your interest for that long.

For me I consider any game really good if I spend less than $1 per hour on it. If I finish the game in 40 ish hours and never have the desire to play it again, then I feel like I should of waited and bought it used/discounted.

Combat in WKC looks to be sort of similar to MMO's. You have an action bar of abilities you set up before battle, and the combat is slow enough you have time to think about what you are doing instead of just how fast can you press the 'X' button. There are a few hundred abilities you can select so there is a lot of variety in customizing your characters. For me that looks fun, but everyone will have their own opinion.

I have to admit that is something I am slightly worried about. In nearly every RPG I have played with a lot of options I find that I want to remake my character due to some bad customization choices. One skill may sound very useful when you pick it but later on you realize that it doesn't have much use, you misunderstood what the skill does, or is glitched and does not work the way it is supposed to.

I really do not want to do this with WKC. Luckily this game does have an option to try and fix these mistakes but you have to wait until you are level 50. I would hate to be stuck with several bad skill choices for that long.

Message 14 of 19 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Jan 20, 2010

TechnoGolem wrote:

colstripcapn wrote:

I have to admit that is something I am slightly worried about. In nearly every RPG I have played with a lot of options I find that I want to remake my character due to some bad customization choices. One skill may sound very useful when you pick it but later on you realize that it doesn't have much use, you misunderstood what the skill does, or is glitched and does not work the way it is supposed to.

I really do not want to do this with WKC. Luckily this game does have an option to try and fix these mistakes but you have to wait until you are level 50. I would hate to be stuck with several bad skill choices for that long.

That is very true. I can understand both sides of the argument, if they allow you to switch your points whenever you could custom tailor yourself before each boss and it would make the game easier, on the other side mistakes happen and these games take hours to complete.

It's good to know that you at least can fix it eventually, unlike say Dragon Age and Sacred 2 where your only option was to start over.

We'll find out in under two weeks =)

Message 15 of 19 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Jan 20, 2010

TechnoGolem wrote:

colstripcapn wrote:

easyaspie00 wrote:

+1 to that... It sounds like you are talking about Sacred 2

I can say that I had to re-make my character 3 times on Sacred 2 because I botched it so many time thinking I wanted to make a "well-rounded" character... umm... it didn't work...

Message 16 of 19 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4713 posts

Jan 21, 2010

piggie_pie wrote:

TechnoGolem wrote:

colstripcapn wrote:

easyaspie00 wrote:

+1 to that... It sounds like you are talking about Sacred 2

I can say that I had to re-make my character 3 times on Sacred 2 because I botched it so many time thinking I wanted to make a "well-rounded" character... umm... it didn't work...

Yeah, Sacred 2 was in the back of my mind. My character would be great on the low levels but once I started the harder difficulties I quickly learned how bad the character was. It was painful restart a character that I already invested so much in. I don't want to go through that with WKC.
Message 17 of 19 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
305 posts

Jan 21, 2010

Well from what I have noticed on videos you can reach lvl 99 and still earn skill points towards what you want.  So I think you can max out your character in all areas it would just take a long time to do so.\

Found this on Gamespot forums!

Customization
To begin the game, you will need to create a custom character: male or female. It's one of the most comprehensive character creation I have ever seen with 9 different tabs with heavy focus on facial apperance: bones, jaws, ear lobes, eyes, brows, mouth, nose each with several option such as depth, height etc.

Although the difference can be subtle if you do not move to the extreme, it's highly unlikely you will EVER encounter another player character that will be a twin of your character in terms of actual digital data.

There are no job classes but instead you can choose how you develop your character. Each level gives you 4 skill points, and you can distribute them to whatever area of expertise as you like. Maxing out a area of expertise requires roughly 90 points, and there are 8 areas of expertise:

One-Hand Weapon
Two-Hand Sword
Spear (1-hand)
Bow (2-hand)
Two-Hand Axe
Staff
Elemental Magic
Holy Magic

As you can see, to max them out you'll need about 720 skill points, but level 99 only gives you roughly 396 skill points. In order to learn every single skill you'll have to go through what's is called reincarnation which is available after you beat the game. Reincarnating at level 50 or higher will give you an extra 40 skill points EACH time and you start back at Lv35. These skill points are cumulative, so each successive reincarnation will add an additional 40. Story characters are NOT avialble for reincarnation, thus, it's wise to choose what they specialize carefully.

Apperance of your character, including story character WILL change accordingly to the armor they are wearing. Besides pre-rendered CG, all changes in armor/clothing will be reflected. Equipment slots include: Main weapon, Shield, Chest/Arm, Hand, Upper leg, Lower Leg, 2 X accessory slot. All equipment changes will refelect in real time except accessory slot (not sure about mantles/capes as I dont' use them...).

Message Edited by Kajros on 01-20-2010 06:15 PM
Message 18 of 19 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Jan 21, 2010

Kajros wrote:

Customization
To begin the game, you will need to create a custom character: male or female. It's one of the most comprehensive character creation I have ever seen with 9 different tabs with heavy focus on facial apperance: bones, jaws, ear lobes, eyes, brows, mouth, nose each with several option such as depth, height etc.

Although the difference can be subtle if you do not move to the extreme, it's highly unlikely you will EVER encounter another player character that will be a twin of your character in terms of actual digital data.

There are no job classes but instead you can choose how you develop your character. Each level gives you 4 skill points, and you can distribute them to whatever area of expertise as you like. Maxing out a area of expertise requires roughly 90 points, and there are 8 areas of expertise:

One-Hand Weapon
Two-Hand Sword
Spear (1-hand)
Bow (2-hand)
Two-Hand Axe
Staff
Elemental Magic
Holy Magic

As you can see, to max them out you'll need about 720 skill points, but level 99 only gives you roughly 396 skill points. In order to learn every single skill you'll have to go through what's is called reincarnation which is available after you beat the game. Reincarnating at level 50 or higher will give you an extra 40 skill points EACH time and you start back at Lv35. These skill points are cumulative, so each successive reincarnation will add an additional 40. Story characters are NOT avialble for reincarnation, thus, it's wise to choose what they specialize carefully.

This is great info and verifies what TechnoGolem and I were talking about (Sacred 2)... when you spend your skill points make sure you have a specific character build in mind beforehand... this will save you the trouble of having to remake your character...

Sacred 2 had a level cap of 200 but if you didn't build your character right when you got to level 40 or so your character has a hard time fighting some of the enemies that should be easy... I know that it sounds elementary but it easier said then done.

Message Edited by piggie_pie on 01-20-2010 07:08 PM
Message 19 of 19 (8 Views)
0 Likes