Apr 20 2009
By: SlickSticker Uncharted Territory 1517 posts

Wilderness Survival RPG

21 replies 2304 views Edited Apr 20, 2009
I want a game that is set in a massive wilderness themed world. No introductions, no instructions, no map. Starting out you will only have a few basic tools for survival. The game is in first person, and it begins with you waking up from sleeping in a make-shift tent. Every aspect of surviving the wilderness(climate, creatures, ect.) would apply. The only upgrading feature would be weapons made (durability), and skill using them(accuracy). The goal of this game would be to see how long you can survive. There would be trophies, and a leader board . Also, a title would be given at the end of the game. Titles vary depending on how long you survived. Example: if you last only a few days your title would be "Weekend Camper", all the way up to something along the lines of "Mountain Man".
I wonder how likely it will be for us to see this kind of game on the PS.
Message 1 of 22 (2,304 Views)
PlayStation MVP
41589 posts

Re: Wilderness Survival RPG

Apr 20, 2009
I'd play it although I'd probably prefer it being 3rd person (having the option would be nice but not where it seems like an afterthought).  However, something like this probably would be viable to the number crunchers so it's a tough chance we'd see it.  I'd actually like to play something like this too.  Eating wild plants and learning/remembering which ones make you sick and which ones are good, hunting animals with make shift spears/knifes, creating 'landmarks' to better navigate the area, etc..  There is actually a lot of room to work with.  Having the weather/seasons play a big role would also throw in a 'planning' element.  When Winter rolls around, you'll want to have a decent supply of fruits and vegetables and know where some caves are to take shelter in.

Message 2 of 22 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
503 posts

Apr 20, 2009
I would love a game like that , it'd be even cooler if it was a charming PSN download. There was a game back in the day on handhelds that is similar to what you wrote up OP , Survial kids think by Konami.
===================================================
{THIS SPACE INSERT IMG} http://404 not found dog!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3606/3482555435_b8802ee666.jpg

===================================================
Message 3 of 22 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1978 posts

Apr 20, 2009
Certainly an interesting idea. My only question would be does the game stick with real world enemies like bears and other wild animals?
Message 4 of 22 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1517 posts

Apr 20, 2009
Well, deadly predators if not approached and dealt with properly would result in the game ending sooner than expected. My idea of how you would deal with the larger predators in the earlier stages of the game would be stealth, and the ability to flee. As you make weapons, and developed skill using them, you would be able to wound the larger predators. Traps are also a very practical tool for food, ect. Also, the animals of this particular game would be those you'd find on earth. But using this game concept with an alien theme could be interesting.
Message 5 of 22 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8173 posts

Apr 20, 2009

Hmm, it's an interesting concept though I think it could use a story... what's the character trying to do other than just survive? Is he/she trying to get rescued; rescue someone else; why are they in the wilderness; etc... 

I'm picturing a cross between Survivor Man and Cabela's Dangerous Hunts. LOL 

Message 6 of 22 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Apr 20, 2009

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

Hmm, it's an interesting concept though I think it could use a story... what's the character trying to do other than just survive? Is he/she trying to get rescued; rescue someone else; why are they in the wilderness; etc... 

I'm picturing a cross between Survivor Man and Cabela's Dangerous Hunts. LOL 

I dont think a story would be too hard to put together. "Hatchet"(really good book) and "Cast Away"(Tom Hanks movie) both based on surivial in the 'wild' started off with a plane crash > get rescue.
 I really would love to see a game like this. I'm a big fan of Survivor Man as well as a small fan of Man vs Wild and I think with as popular as those television shows are, a game like this could do big things. 
I do on the other hand think the most important part would have to be the ability to pretty much do whatever you can think to survive. I would love to see a very open ended game, but I can't help but think there will be too many limits or generic menu options to make the game exciting.
Message 7 of 22 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2022 posts

Apr 20, 2009
Survival Island - You crashed on mysterious island and now must hunt, build shelter, dodge predators figure out a way to get off the island. This way you have purpose and though open-ended still have limits. I love your idea.
Message 8 of 22 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
467 posts

Apr 20, 2009
not an rpg but i just got a deja vu of metal gear solid snake eater.
Message 9 of 22 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1517 posts

Apr 20, 2009
If there was a story, I would choose to a prologue. The goal of this game would be to see how long you can survive. This form of challenge would create competition for a prestigious title gained by experience and, time you survived. Let's keep in mind that this doesn't have to be a rescue style game. I'd rather have the character and the feeling/look of a plot setting in a time where surviving in the wilderness is the way of life. Example: 1400's-New World, before colonization began. Also before technology from foreign settlers appeared. This would make you Native American. Maybe a reward of surviving a long time would be to meet some migrant vikings .
Message 10 of 22 (2,304 Views)
0 Likes