Monster Hunter
42 posts

Re: Wilderness Survival RPG

Apr 21, 2009

SlickSticker wrote:
If there was a story, I would choose to a prologue. The goal of this game would be to see how long you can survive. This form of challenge would create competition for a prestigious title gained by experience and, time you survived. Let's keep in mind that this doesn't have to be a rescue style game. I'd rather have the character and the feeling/look of a plot setting in a time where surviving in the wilderness is the way of life. Example: 1400's-New World, before colonization began. Also before technology from foreign settlers appeared. This would make you Native American. Maybe a reward of surviving a long time would be to meet some migrant vikings .

Yeah I don't think this is a 'bad' idea, but I do kind of find it hard to imagine your setup. The way I see your scinero going(no rescue), you start off ruff, building your way up. Starting of eating berrys you find or anything edible for that matter. Catching fish or trapping small animals here and there. These things I see as fun, but in your scinerio I see you becoming civilized over a course of time. Building up your shelter to something livable, growing your own food near where you live, and pretty much being set. Although this would make a nice new "Civilization" game, I don't really see it the best way to make a survivor game.

In my eyes, I imagine selecting a Scinero from a menu ie- Lost while ice fishing in the Antactic or Plane Crash in the rain forest or anything that introduces you to your new surroundings whatever they may be(desert, deserted island, Mount Everest). I would like to maybe see different starting items, realistic to whatever your starting situation was. Basically you would be completly on your own, needing to survive the rough stuff, the beginning. Sure you may have a flashlight and a firstaid kit for your first adventure when your plain crashed into an uncharted island or just the clothes on your back when your raft overturned while whitewatering in Alaska. Different starting elements keep the game fun and exciting. I also think the game would need to be pretty extreme but there needs to be something to end it.(Your death, a Rescue, Finding your way after being lost, or getting to a point where you no longer are surviving, but you are living) Given enough time, if you survive the rough part you eventually can get to a point where you no longer need to 'Survive'.

Message 11 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
582 posts

Apr 21, 2009
indeed cool idea.. but would absolutly need 3rd person for stealh/hunting reasons.. and i would like to start this game naked, for the pure reason it could confuse people on the time line of the game (say current day, or 200 years ago), just to add a little mystery
Message 12 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2671 posts

Apr 21, 2009

the idea is very interesting. if a game was made with this set up and was done correctly i'd deffinitly purchase it. the concept of surviving is always intruging but knowing it isn't going to be completed in a matter of hours is a nice factor. though if you do die starting over from point blank will be a bit of a mood kill. depending on how that would work out. having save points maybe? or everyday the game saves itself and if u die u start off the morning of the day u died? and i don't know but maybe if you survived a total of like 300 days you'd meet another person in the wilderness and then they could apply the "make a baby" stage and then over days and days more people would join and the end of the game "after endless hours and days" would be a town in the middle of nowhere?

just some random ideas that came to my brain when i read some peoples opinions. 

once again. great idea to the one who came up with this thread.

New site for PSABR -> http://pastadium.forumotion.com/forum
--------

"Exit the stage. Your act is over." - Vergil

"Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on! Now die!" - Albedo
Message 13 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1517 posts

Apr 21, 2009
Sure, since it would be a very lengthy game you would want a save game feature to pick up later where you left off. If you do die the game is over, you wouldn't be able to manipulate the game's outcome with a save point(reality). Third/first person view should always be optional in my preference/opinion. I think first person is the most realistic way to view the game. I play civilization revolution, but that game has an unrealistic camera angle, and all the the graphics are detailed but they don't have the realistic quality I would want in the survivor game. Sure, your level of comfort would increase within realistic parameters respective to the game's time line. There's no such thing as a lone Native American, so possibly a story spin of your character's purpose/role in the game/tribe would need to be integrated in a fashion were you go out on your own to hunt, fish, gather ect. This does not negate the fact that when you go outside of your tribe's campsite you are on your own. So yea, brainstorming here with you guys. It would be awesome if you had a different game perception within the boundaries of your tribe's camp, opposed to when you head out into the wilderness. Within the perception of extreme security and support from your tribe/family within the campsite, the dynamics of relationships would be manifested through detailed dialogue with the various inhabitants, even with little campsite odd jobs. So you compile all of our ideas, hand it over to a nice development studio that has the big brains and ability. No reason why this game wouldn't be epic.
Message 14 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1298 posts

Apr 21, 2009
I always like these various ideas. Pick up Elder Scrolls Oblivion on PC and completely mod it out (visuals, dialogue, events, interactions, etc...)to create a demonstration of your game. It's really flexible. Or see how Fallout 3's mod tools are like. If you spend enough time, you can make almost exactly what you are asking for.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 15 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
890 posts

Apr 21, 2009

i can totally imagine my character jumping cliffs.

but yea this would be cool,also it could probably be done as a PSN download by a Sony's studio. 

Message 16 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

Nov 29, 2010

http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/ its in 2d but ts good. love to see it on ps3.

Home Beta tester

PSN ID - frank0024
XBL ID - quan0024
PS3 Trophies
Message 17 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4713 posts

Nov 29, 2010

There is also another similar idea about creating a Horror Survival RPG. I think the idea could make a fun RPG but your idea seems very light on what makes RPGs fun to play.

Not sure if you heard about the Man VS Wild game but they are making one that will be on the PS3. Here is the debut trailer for those interested. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-man-vs-wild/700254 

And a preview. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-walkthrough-man-vs-wild
/702521

Message 18 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Nov 29, 2010

TechnoGolem wrote:

There is also another similar idea about creating a Horror Survival RPG. I think the idea could make a fun RPG but your idea seems very light on what makes RPGs fun to play.

Not sure if you heard about the Man VS Wild game but they are making one that will be on the PS3. Here is the debut trailer for those interested. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-man-vs-wild/700254 

And a preview. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-walkthrough-man-vs-wild
/702521

I am all for something like that but back on topic........like others have said I think it is an interesting idea but unless you add some sort of fantasy aspect into it then a pure survival type game really does not interest me.

I am not really fond of realistic type games........for me there has to be magic or some sort of fantasy element in it.

Message 19 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6044 posts

Nov 29, 2010

That's a pretty cool idea for a game actually.  So you would hunt animals with makeshift weapons and search for/make shelter?

Level 9,999 Laharl
Message 20 of 22 (246 Views)
0 Likes