Oct 23 2012
By: Reaper___ Gaming Beast 2436 posts

Rest In Peace, Zenkor.

[ Edited ]
4 replies 488 views Edited Oct 23, 2012

sHm's clan elder and keeper of our web site has passed away.   I had the pleasure of meeting Zenkor twice in the last few years.  A team player and, at times, the voice of reason when everyone was losing it over some small drama.  A friend, retired Air Force veteran, and gamer.  I believe he had passed his 70th birthday.  Way too young.   Yup, I said, YOUNG.  In the scope of things, it was too early to lose him, or for that matter, anyone, but it happens. 

Those of us that have been with the clan for a decade or so still remember Zenkor and all of our members that visited our web site knew of him.

He was not much older than I am and I am not the oldest in the clan.  I don't think this was unusual for SOCOM and certainly not for sHm.  At one time, we had three generations from one family playing.  I am not only mourning the loss of a friend but to a lesser degree, mourning the passing of the game that brought many of us together.

PS2 SOCOM was unique in the way it was made, played, and followed.  It allowed people of all ages and all walks of life, to stand equal on an electronic battlefield.  SOCOM promoted player interaction instead of stifling it.  Play where you wanted, what you wanted, and with whom you wanted.  At times, it was a harsh place like any tough neighborhood in any big city but people dealt with it.  A good clan was like a crew or military unit.  People had their differences but got around it for the greater good.

Many people think that having that level of dedication to a "game" meant they had no life.  What is "life" without friends?  We took time from our real lives to get online and join up with others and have fun.  With this, friendships formed.  Friendship of the purest form?  Perhaps.  Your fellow SOCOMers never borrowed your lawnmower or money.  I did see players reach out, outside of the game, and help other players in real life.  Zenkor was one of those people.  I will miss him. 

"You don't know what you've got 'til its gone."

Reaper___

sHm Clan    (Now on BF3)

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (488 Views)
Gaming Beast
2200 posts

Re: Rest In Peace, Zenkor.

Oct 23, 2012

Sorry for your loss, hopefully he left you with lots of fond memories.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (480 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4316 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 25, 2012

Sorry for you, your clan and Socom's loss!  Well said about the loss of your friend and the loss of a game we all loved!  Sad for us all.

I think we have played together?  I am in AES.  I think we were in that no cheat league with you guys?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (413 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
499 posts

Dec 8, 2012

Losing a friend and comrade is never easy, especially when you have a rich history with that person.  I have been sitting here all night feeling nostalgic for Socom 2 and all the people I played with, friends, clanmates, whatnot.  So many don't even play anymore period, and there is no way to even reach out to them, and that really sucks.  But losing a friend through passing, hurts so much more.  You have my condolences and prayers, know that we can relate to your loss, even if we do not know how deeply it hurts.  o7

--- If Socom fans cannot support a Socom game, why should they ever support a non-Socom game? ---
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2726 posts

Apr 4, 2013

rest in heaven fellow socomer. 

sorry for your loss.. memories to smile with .

BURNING THE PATH WILL ONLY LEAD TO MORE STORMS
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (254 Views)
0 Likes