07-28-2012 01:21 AM
Well it is unfortunate that the Socom franchise is dead because the developers wanted to reach new audiences (COD audiences specifically). But then again, it is still a franchise controlled by a business. Is there not a way where all the true, die-hard SOCOM fans can allocate donations into a single account (under trusted hands) and and use the funds to "persuade" an appropriate gaming company to release a SOCOM II HD? The Socom franchise is managed by companies, after all. Companies want to make money but they do not like high risks.
The community, if it truly wants to see an HD Socom, should take some sort of action to provide a sort of insurance--insurance that a company who endeavors on a Socom project will not lose too much of its personal capital (money). Meanwhile, we should also make incentives (somehow) so that the company does execute the project effectively, not just to collect or money and hand us a really crappy game. Talented artists and programmers should be brought to the table so that we get the game we deserve.
If anything, Socom can be picked up by low level, aspiring gaming artists. I see Socom as a potential gold mine for amateur or unemplyed artists who can develop a good socom game and share it in an undergound gaming community. I believe that, if done right, this underground Socom model can act as the TRUE blueprint for a mainstream gaming company who will deliver the game we want (I believe a scenario such as this happened with a call of duty game, if i am not mistaken; a bunch of developers decided to mod a COD game heavily and made it a first-person shooter for Star Wars that came out to be somehwt of a success).
Should any of these proposals be too much work for the common gamer, I still think that even minimal action of some sort is still helpful. A movement on Facebook and whatnot can help grab the attention of developers. Hell, i signed a petition for a Socom II game (at http://www.makesocomhd.com/ if anyone cares to try it).
My ultimate message, though, is that no gaming company will dare launch a Socom game--there have been too many failures (for them) so they probably do not want to risk it. We, the Socom fans, must take it upon ourselves to make our dreams come true; have a trustee manage a large sum of money and use it to pursuade a developer to make the game, enlist professional or hobbyists to deleop a game version to entice a large, abled developer or start a simple "grassroots" movement for the Socom II HD. As for me, my ultimate wish, in all of the gaming world, is a Socom that is functional, polished, and true to its roots (the gaming mechanics of the PS2 era). The forums is littered with complaints and futile hopes; if we can just channel all this cynicism into action that will provoke a response from a good developer, I think we can make this happen.
07-31-2012 11:01 PM
This all seems pretty awesome, but improbable since Zipper closed a couple months ago. Is it possible to throw this on Kickstarter and give it to some good devs? It just seems as though no one at Sony has any agency to make another SOCOM when the fans clearly want one. Day one purchase for me, if it only existed. $100 is pretty cheap for a game of this magnitude. Honestly Sony, where's your head at?
08-07-2012 11:34 AM - edited 08-07-2012 11:37 AM
How earth did Zipper and Sony not see this but some dude on their msg board lays it out so easily? If the OP had been lead director SOCOM would have had a far better chance than the rubbish S4 was.
Anyways I would add this to the list too - NO DUCKING BEHIND COVER (Uncharted) RUBBISH MECHANICS & evolve the swimming mechanics and build solid maps that encorporate water operations as part of the trategy.. after all, we are supposed to be playing gaddamned navy seals aren't we?! Oh! and yeah, how about calling the damned game Navy Seal again instead of that rubbish "field operators" or whatever the crap they went with. Every time I think of SOCOM4 I just want to punch something! We patiently waited so long and the doggs us out so badly w/ their promotions that spat on the known SOCOM community all so they thought they would get the COD crowd and $$. How stupid and ungrateful they were indeed.
08-12-2012 12:45 PM
I have waited weeks to post on this thing. I too am a true socom fan. Back in the days were a guy actually died! And yes,socom 4 sucks.I bought it thinking it would be awesome! I puked when I played the first campaign mission. It is call of duty,uncharted(anyone notice a strange resemblence between opscom and nathan drake?).And only one seal is on the whole fireteam. I too have been working on a new socom.Bringing it back to its roots is my goal.I have some suggestions I will offer in another post. Long live SOCOM!! And COD can kiss my A$$.
08-14-2012 07:18 PM
I've been a fan of SOCOM since the classics on PS2, and I've been hoping to see a remake of SOCOM in HD for a long time now. Other popular classic titles are doing it, so what's the hold up? SOCOM was/is clearly a BIG part of the PlayStation console... It would be stupid not to. *Nothing like the SOCOM: 4 garbage, please-- just classic gameplay and controls but improved for the PS3.
08-27-2012 10:52 AM
08-29-2012 09:16 AM - edited 08-29-2012 09:17 AM
I would easily pay $100 for everything that the OP said. He has everything right on and just like somebody else said; it's sad that Zipper couldn't think of this for themselves, a fan on their forums did. Well done OP; but unfortunately, we probably aren't going to get this Legacy Socom. I miss Socom like crazy! Oh yeah, and it would HAVE to be Seals vs. Terrorists!
09-17-2012 08:56 AM
Ok. I am goin to give my opinion on this game.
(Image courtesy of PAs_SCORPION)
This game would be the one to retire the franchises Hall of Fame career in SOCOMers eyes. It would be everything everyone has wanted over the past 9 years and more. There would be no need for DLC of any kind, the game would ship at retail for 79.99 or 89.99. And it would entail all of these things and others as we progress lets make a list. I'll add things to the list as suggestions arise
- S4 graphics + 3D Agree.
- S1/S2 Game mechanics enhanced with a better physics engine Disagree. Confrontation engine is better.
- 25 mission SP w/ Gold trophy for stealth killing every enemy in the entire game on elite also alternate endings. Disagree. Combine co-op with this and make a 40 mission campaign.Forget the gold medal as it would be impossible to get even for elite socom players.
- Full 25 mission CO-Op campaign separate that of SP. Disagree
- Traditional S1-CA TPV camera. Disagree. Use the Confrontation TPV. Almost classic but a bit better. Also, more realistic movement.
- S3 search mechanics, Agree.
- 50-75 Mp maps Fireteam bravo maps included. Agree.
- Every character skin from S1-S4 and FTB 1- 3. Agree somewhat. Exclude S4 campaign characters. Exclude ftb2 and ftb3 mercenaries. Use a hi def rendition of the original specter. Not S4 specter.
- Prone roll. Agree.
- Duck. Disagree. Not needed.Just crouch or go prone.
- Free dpad lean. Agree somewhat. Use socom 4 cover button. Standing behind cover then peeking out is normal socom 4. But crouching behind cover and peekout is standard lean.
- jump to climb. Agree. Use x button to jump or climb.
- dive to prone. Agree.
- grenade arc. Disagree. Use socom 4 grenade engine.More realistic and easier aim.Allows more power.
- Clan Ladder system with Day , Night, weekend seasons with playoffs. Disagree. Not needed.
- 1 3 or 5 map clan wars agreed upon by clan leaders and selected at random. Agree somewhat. I like first part.But the clans should be allowed to choose maps.Unless they agree to randomize it.
- Confrontation Weapons customization minus super modded weapons ie Vera Tilly, Gladys. Agree. But give unlimited attachments. Not just 2 as that is unrealistic.Use ftb 3 attachment customiztion.
- Pistols. Agree.
- No Dual Primaries. Terrorists don't go by code.Make seals use on primary,but let terrorists choose for themselves.
- All games modes: Demolition, Breach, Escort, Extraction, Convoy, Control Points, Elimination, Suppression, Last Defense, Uplink, Bomb Squad. I didnt play FTB series but if ihad different modes add those too. Agree.
- Every map specifically catered or altered to one game mode in mind like S1-S2 to ensure true individuality and uniqueness of the maps. No more playing Crossroads Breach.... **bleep** map.But dont do just one game type per map.
- 50+ weapons. Agree somewhat. I made a list and it should have 100+ weapons. Ask if you want to see it.
- Various weapon accessories and gear items. Agree. Have modern attachments such as bright tactical lights and night vision adapters for long range scopes.
- Ranked Respawn tailored after the Traditional SOCOM MP. Disagree. NO RANKED RESPAWN!!!!
- Separate stats for ranked and non ranked Classic games. Agree.
- Also separate stats for ranked respawn and non ranked respawn games. Disagree.^^^^
- Video match recording ala UC and COD. Agree. Yes.Yes.Yes. I have so longed for this!
- In game player abuse report system. Agree somewhat. Players could use it for wrong reasons. It should be monitered by trusted players and a punishment put to a vote requiring the vote of 10 players to ensure fair judgement.
- Individual medleys ala Breach Med, Demo Med, Escort med etc etc. Agree.
- S4 stat collection setup. Disagree. Use Confrontation stats.
- Push to talk. Disagree. Then people can hog mic. Free mic allows speech while shooting.And quick communication by teammates.
- Proximity Chat. Agree.
- Detailed in game score board. Agree.
- S1-S2 enhanced HUD. Agree. Make the gmae use clips(Socom 1-CA and FTB 1) instead of individual bullets.
- Picking up any gear off of dead bodies regardless of what you carry as long as a slot is open. Agree.
- Lobby Text chat along with audio. Agree. Make it fair for those without mics.
- Push to talk audible signals for grabbing the mics. Disagree. Like I said.Use Socom 4 mic system.
- Alpha Bravo Charlie alternate channels tap to talk down on the dpad for secondary channel. Agree.
- Custom Taunts. Agree.
- Fully Customizable Controls. Agree. Make standard Socom 4 controls then editable from there.
Im fresh out of ideas though at this point....SOCOM: Legacy
NOw for my ideas.
1. L3 sprint. Make tapping L3 switch between 3 options. Breach speed.Walking speed.And jog.
Breach is slow movement you would use when clearing a building or room. Walk is a standard walking speed. And jog is the speed of socom 4 sprint but a bit slower. Hold on L3 for sprint,which is Socom2 speed but a bit faster. Make speeds differ based on how heavy your gear is.
2. R3 Melee. Hold on R3 to toggle between rifle butt and knife attack. A knife attack from behind results in a standard stealth kill. Even in multiplayer. A kill takes 1 hit for an assault rifle,machine gun,and sniper rifle. A kill with a submachine gun takes 3 hits. And a kill with a pistol takes 5 hits. But if you use you weapon for a stealth kill a motion is used for an instant kill.
3. Medics. No health regen but use medical kits which a teammate can use to trwat a friend for an unfatal wound. Also allow carrying of woulded teamates with the circle button.
4. Surrenders. Allow people in MP to surrender. If a seal for instance, presses an enemy order btton,from an orders menu,to drop his weapons,let the enemy press circle to obey order,or shoot back. Surrendered players can be freed by a teammate, or can try to escape. A team gets more points for extracting with a hostage enemy,then by killing the enemy.
5. Real extractions. Have the team after completing the objective in Multiplayer,move to an extract point,where either a truck,jeep,helicoper,submarine,or patrol boat takes them out. This give it a more realistic feel,and the enemy gets one more chance to stop you.
I hope you guys like this.I have many more ideas. If you want to hear them,contact me at PastorZach14@gmail.com.
09-17-2012 09:00 AM - edited 09-17-2012 09:06 AM
Let me also point out,that L1 scope is a great option.Makes scoping fast quick and easy. Especially if you are using a reflex. Also, the socom confrontation first person view should be used. FInally,make maps with water in them.Bring back seals. More realistic swimming mechanics. More of a need to use water. Such as maybe a ship multiplayer map.Where seals must board ship and rescue hostages. And my idea for doors. Put doors back into multiplayer maps. Allow 3 options. Pick the door. Takes 15 seconds,Open the door.And kick in the door. Then allow orders like ON YOUR KNEES!!! See my second total post.The long one.