Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 02 2013
By: ChrisInfurna Splicer 80 posts

Bioshock Infinite Review

[ Edited ]
5 replies 306 views Edited Apr 7, 2013

"Bioshock Infinite breaks grounds in this generation of gaming and proves itself a worthy game of the year."

Platform(s):Xbox 360, PS3, PC
Publisher(s):2K Games
Developer(s):Irrational Games, 2K Marin, Human Head Studios
Genres:First-Person Shooter
Themes:Shooter
Release Date:2013-03-26

Irrational Games takes its next hit in the Bioshock Series, Bioshock Infinite to the skies. Set in 1912, the city of Columbia floats among the clouds which immediately catches the eye with its beautiful scenery. Coming a long way from the very first Bioshock, Infinite lives up to its glory. It provides an awe inspiring, unforgettable experience that will leave you at the edge of your seat to the very end. Being topped with memorable characters who have human-like emotions, which creates a world that is lively and easy to get into. With a story unlike any other and an end that will spur your wonders. Infinite will compel you to the very end.

Characters

You play as Booker DeWitt, a former agent of the Pinkerton's, a war-veteran and a man with a shady past, which is eventually revealed and brought to an end. Having made bad choices, he is offered to "wipe away the debt" by traveling to Columbia to find and acquire Elizabeth and take her back to New York. In Columbia, Booker is known as the "False Shepperd" as he is marked with "AD" on his hand. At first, Booker may seem cold-hearted and manipulative, but as the story progresses you will see the man change into a true and respectable one.

The game would be nothing without our mysterious girl, Elizabeth. So say hi, because she never leaves your side other than a small part of the campaign. But don't fret just yet, because this girl is unlike your typical AI character. She doesn't need to be helped and as a matter of fact, she is the one who will be doing the helping. Elizabeth finds ammo and health for you at random times in combat, and she will revive you. With her ability to open tears (portals), you can tell her to bring in objects based on the combat area.

Elizabeth, her self, creates such a refreshing feel, despite the other things she can do. Just the way she reacts to things and her emotions. They are all human-like. She creates a sort of atmosphere that moves, compels you and makes you want to be at her side. She makes everything a step closer to making the experience feel like a real one.

Booker's main opponents are Zachary Comstock, "The Prophet", who is essentially the God of Columbia, and the Songbird. Unlike Comstock who bars you with antagonizing words over the loud speaker, much like Andrew Ryan in the first Bioshock, Songbird does so in an opposite manner. Throughout the story, the bird lurks at the back of your mind, as in the characters minds, because he can show up at anytime.

As for your "heavy hitters", you'll be faced against one of the most creative characters known to gaming. The first being the Firemen, who doesn't fight fires, but in turn creates them. They utilize fiery explosives to attempt to burn your very soul to the ground. Then there's the Patriots: Robots that are designed after George Washington and carries a big gun. Another is the Handyman: Double the size of Booker, speedy, very agile and similar in strength to Big Daddies. And then there are the Boys of Silence: Impossible to kill, your only option is to evade them otherwise you will be faced with a swarm of opponents.

The Arsenal

Infinite's vigors, AKA plasmids are much like the powers of the previous games. You can charge them up, lay down traps, create combinations and upgrade them. As for your armory, Infinite consists of original weaponry; machine guns, pistols, grenade launchers and rocket launchers. Then to combine with it all, throughout Columbia you will find gear to improve your abilities in combat and can be used based on personal play style. Though, what's new that Infinite brings is the Skyhook. It allows you to leap on to Columbia's skylines, much like a rollercoaster. You can shoot from atop these lines or swing down full steam ahead to deliver a massive blow to your opposition.

Story (Don't Worry, No Spoilers)

Infinite's story is bold and unforgettable which kept me at the edge of my seat 'till the very end. Though, I believed the end was a bit of a downfall, not too majorly drastic, but enough to point out. Its not what happened, but rather HOW it happened, as it needed to have more dialogue and emotion. I expected the ending to tug at the strings of my heart, but instead I was left almost emotionless. Though the way in which it ended will leave us all with discussion and full of wonder. Especially, if you wait out the credits to the very end.

The Verdict

Awe inspiring and unforgettable, Infinite left me at the edge of my seat 'till the very end. Infinite has lived up to Bioshock's expectations with immersive gameplay, a bold story and memorable characters. This was an amazing experience. A must-play.

9.5 out of 10

+ Bold, unforgettable story.

+ Memorable characters.

+ Scenery that catches the eye.

+ Awesome gameplay while keeping that classic Bioshock feel.

- The ending wasn't as touching as expected, needed more emotion.

Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Edit
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (306 Views)
PlayStation MVP
48434 posts

Re: Bioshock Infinite Review

Apr 3, 2013

Great reveiw thanks for posting it.  Did you write it yourself as well? Excellent job!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Apr 3, 2013
Yeah, I wrote it. :smileyhappy:
Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Edit
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (277 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1420 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 10, 2013

Not bad. this is really nice, with the visuals,video and all. Can tell you put some real effort and time in this. Will appeal to your readers. I agree with pretty much all you said. Playing it 3 times through and getting my platinum, this is one game I wont mind playing again in the future when i decide to pull it back off my shelf. amazing game, great review.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Apr 11, 2013

awesome post im downloading the digital of this now. cant wait , loved the demo.

... i need better internet , takes sooo long for me to dl full games ... haha need that google fiber in my state .

Forum Sig Pictures, Images and Photos">
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (183 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48434 posts

Apr 11, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (175 Views)
0 Likes