Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 08 2009
By: RocThePanther Wastelander 665 posts

Operation Flashpoint.... my point of view

3 replies 22 views Edited Oct 8, 2009
Wow, ok. This game is very fun and highly enjoyable. It requires you to be able to think on your feet (or on your thumbs rather) , mobilize, and still be able to shoot. Its not run and gun or spray and pray like the big named title games surrounded by its release. I've been playing for hours now it's that addictive. The only things that I do see preventing this game from being a top seller or even a multiplayer craze are that the graphics are very shoddy (half the time you cant even see who your shooting at) , it is very VERY easy to die ( yes, much easier to die than it is to actually kill somebody) , and they don't give you much of a choice of who or what you want to play in the game. You don't get to chose if you are a medic, or a sniper, or a grenadier, no... they just automatically assign you as point man and give you a rifle (a rifle in which you can't even chose which attachments are on it). That is very annoying to me. Also, the AI of your squad mates isn't very good, either. You can waste 20 minutes asking one guy to flank right, and another hour alone just to get your medic to actually heal somebody. That got me thinking that overall, it is a very fun, addictive tactical shooter that is great to pass the time until uncharted 2, mag, and codmw2. Basically what I am getting at here is. If you have the money to throw at a video game that you know you are only going to be playing for a week, tops, I highly recommend this game. However, if you are strapped for cash or are busy for pretty much the rest of the week, save your money. Ok, well I have to go follow some more pointless orders and probablly get shot in the back by the medic again, so, post what you like and dont flame to hard, because I am looking forward to what everyone has to say.
Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - Rocthepanther
Message 1 of 4 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
536 posts

Re: Operation Flashpoint.... my point of view

Oct 8, 2009

Everyone keeps talking about how hard it is to see people and how easy it is to die.

Me and my roommie were playing LAN coop campaign and the first mission for the first hour we felt the same.  Then we realized we had binoculars, and that you need to order your men prior to combat because once they are engaged it's hard for them to change positions or they'll be shot. 

As for changing weapons, the team leader is stuck in his position, but if you play coop with someone they can choose whichever class they want in the squad.  I have my buddy choose sniper while I scout the landscape with binoculars and call out where he should be firing.  This adds a great deal to the team element.

As for flanking, have you tried using the big map yet? - This map allows you to call out orders on a wide landscape that shows known enemy positions and your squad (and obviously the outlying terrain, even topography of hills/valleys which I thought was cool). 

I call out for a medic and get it instantly - so I can't help/state much to your gripe there.

I'm guessing i'll get much more than a week out of this one.  This blows CoD out of the water for me, but different strokes for different folks y'know? =p

Message 2 of 4 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Oct 8, 2009

The longevity of this game will depend on how much multiplayer support (DLC and players) we get and how the network issues are dealt with.  It's important to remember that most of the time the enemy is spotted, they are 200 meters or more away.  That's more that 2 football fields.  Now go out and try to find a rifle range with that kind of distance and see how well you can shoot with iron sights or an Aimpoint.  It's hard and this game duplicates that.  For those of you not familiar with meters, a meter is slightly less than a yard.  Now think about that the next time you are fussing about not being able to see the enemy.  How well could you actually shoot someone laying prone a football field (approx. 100 meters) away with iron sights?  It's a difficult game that tries to give you the feel for real combat, not some 50:1 kill/death ratio fantasy.  Also, as far as the weapons, your loadout is not always your choice.  This game puts you in the boots of a Marine on the ground, not some super elite SEAL, SAS or mercenary that has access to all sorts of customized weapons.  You are a regular soldier in most cases, not Rambo.  You can't join the Marine Corps and as a green soldier get some Knights Armament M4 with all the fancy rails and goodies.  You get the basic issue weapon with whatever attachments are standard issue and whatever your commanders feel you need to complete the mission at hand.

In the end people need to stop comparing this game to other console games.  IT IS NOTHING LIKE YOU HAVE EVER SEEN ON A CONSOLE!!!  The closest I have seen is the release of the original Ghost Recon on the PS2 way back in 2002 and that is now so dated it's not very similar anymore.  You are going to have to work for your fun on this game.  Many will not understand and will be disgusted because hey think they should be getting something other then what they bought.  Those who have played the original OFP or the ARMA games on PC will get it.  Those console players who take the time to understand and get a feel for the game will love it.  Those who truly enjoy this sort of game are heads and shoulders above the rest of the console shooter players because they can take the reality of the game and not the same old prone diving, pop around a corner, spray and pray BS that we are shoveled by other game developers.  Throw down the super elite weapon.  Take off the Paraclete and custom gear.  Jump out of your "best soldier on the planet" dreams.  And get your face down in the mud and actually kill something.

Message 3 of 4 (22 Views)
Fender Bender
4473 posts

Oct 8, 2009

Elwenil wrote:

The longevity of this game will depend on how much multiplayer support (DLC and players) we get and how the network issues are dealt with.  It's important to remember that most of the time the enemy is spotted, they are 200 meters or more away.  That's more that 2 football fields.  Now go out and try to find a rifle range with that kind of distance and see how well you can shoot with iron sights or an Aimpoint.  It's hard and this game duplicates that.  For those of you not familiar with meters, a meter is slightly less than a yard.  Now think about that the next time you are fussing about not being able to see the enemy.  How well could you actually shoot someone laying prone a football field (approx. 100 meters) away with iron sights?  It's a difficult game that tries to give you the feel for real combat, not some 50:1 kill/death ratio fantasy.  Also, as far as the weapons, your loadout is not always your choice.  This game puts you in the boots of a Marine on the ground, not some super elite SEAL, SAS or mercenary that has access to all sorts of customized weapons.  You are a regular soldier in most cases, not Rambo.  You can't join the Marine Corps and as a green soldier get some Knights Armament M4 with all the fancy rails and goodies.  You get the basic issue weapon with whatever attachments are standard issue and whatever your commanders feel you need to complete the mission at hand.

In the end people need to stop comparing this game to other console games.  IT IS NOTHING LIKE YOU HAVE EVER SEEN ON A CONSOLE!!!  The closest I have seen is the release of the original Ghost Recon on the PS2 way back in 2002 and that is now so dated it's not very similar anymore.  You are going to have to work for your fun on this game.  Many will not understand and will be disgusted because hey think they should be getting something other then what they bought.  Those who have played the original OFP or the ARMA games on PC will get it.  Those console players who take the time to understand and get a feel for the game will love it.  Those who truly enjoy this sort of game are heads and shoulders above the rest of the console shooter players because they can take the reality of the game and not the same old prone diving, pop around a corner, spray and pray BS that we are shoveled by other game developers.  Throw down the super elite weapon.  Take off the Paraclete and custom gear.  Jump out of your "best soldier on the planet" dreams.  And get your face down in the mud and actually kill something.

I just wanted to say that I've read a few of your replies to ppl's reviews and I appreciate seeing someone who goes into details and explains things in a way those who haven't played OFP, ARMA or even Ghost Recon can understand.  A lot of people wouldn't take the time to spell it out.  They just say, "go back to CoD!"  Sure, some people will never understand or like Flashpoint's reality gameplay but thanks for at least trying to make them see the good side of it.  
 photo FotoFlexer_PhotoS2popular.jpg
Message 4 of 4 (22 Views)
0 Likes