Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 09 2012
By: Viewtiful_Josh Fender Bender 2918 posts

Continue? (SH Spoilers)

4 replies 295 views Edited Apr 9, 2012

Ok, so I just finished Silent Hill and I have to say I'm not happy with the game. It's not that I got a good/bad ending, or that the environment is creepy as hell, but what I am sad about is that it leaves me with more questions than answers.

Throughout the whole game my quest was one thing: find out what in the world was going on. I didn't really care much about Sheryl. As I kept going more into the game, I only kept getting more questions. "How did the school got this way? Why are there bodies stuck to the walls!? How does entering and exiting the hospital's bathroom change floors? Why is there an alternate Silent Hill?" The list goes on. So like I said before, my quest was for figuring out what was going on along with trying to answer the newly acquired questions. The people I ran into (like the nurse and cop) had no clue either, and some old lady was just gibber gabbin about some demon and crap. Urgh!

What happened at the end? Nothing. I did not find my answer, and speaking of endings, there are other endings too? Personally I don't like games with multiple endings because I feel that the story has no point anyway. It also means that the characters don't pass to the next game.

In conclusion, this game was about scaring the mhm out of you. Which is "OK" I guess, but if the other games are like that too, then I don't see a reason to play it. The reason I played Resident Evil was because there was a plot behind all the horrific environment. There were long-ish cutscenes that guided you through the investigation, written reports of residents of the mansion and workers down at the Umbrella lab. The story was more interesting. Maybe this game was a bit bad in the series, so I'm asking for some advise: should I try the next one, or is the pretty much the same as the first one? Will it answer the questions left in SH? Thanks for reading.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (295 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4520 posts

Re: Continue? (SH Spoilers)

Apr 9, 2012

You look at the game in a very different way than I have.  Yes, the point in playing is to figure out what's going on, but for me that is about the characters and why they are there in this messed up place, not figuring out why the place is messed up in the specific ways that it is.  The details you seem to have focused on don't seem that important to me.  I see them as just being there to make you question it and strengthen the feeling that this isn't normal; they are what make the place weird, unique, and memorable.

I don't usually mind multiple endings in games.  Sometimes it helps, if only for replay value, or if it makes sense based on certain choices you make that will affect the ending.  I don't see that as making the story pointless; the ending is designed based on your playthrough, your story.  The endings don't tend to carry forward since in the Silent Hill games, while the town has its own history that may play a part, each game is basically its own story.  The exception is SH3 which is a sequel to this one; I would suggest playing that next if you do decide to continue, since it may help clear up some things.  I don't really remember in SH1 what the different choices are, but in the newer games (on PS3), the multiple endings were disappointing to me.  There was not much significance in the choices you made, and only 1 or 2 things that actually affected it.  

I have to disagree strongly that the RE series has a more interesting story.  I like the games, but the story is all pretty much the same to me.  It's one of those games I play just for fun, not for the story.  Silent Hill is pretty much the opposite in that way .

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (295 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11162 posts

Apr 10, 2012

I don’t think you are playing the Silent Hill video games for the right reasons. If you are going to play Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 in the same manner as you played Silent Hill and keep asking yourself questions that you will likely never find concrete answers to then I don’t think the Silent Hill series is your cup of tea. Fear is certainly an important element in the Silent Hill series but I don’t think this is the number one reason why someone should approach these video games. It often is the number one reason why people look into these video games and there is nothing wrong with that but oftentimes these individuals are not prepared for the psychological experiences that these video games offer them and they end up walking away from these titles feeling disappointed (primarily because these video games weren't what they had anticipated). One should not go into a Silent Hill video game expecting it to be anything like a Resident Evil video game. The Silent Hill video games are psychological/survival horror video games whereas the older Resident Evil video games were traditional survival horror video games.

The Silent Hill video games don’t exactly guide players through the experiences that they offer them (they don’t hold their hands either). Symbolism often plays an important role in these video games and players are often left to draw their own conclusions about various elements in these video games. This is a very effective approach that can make these video games more meaningful to individuals. In other words, there doesn’t NEED to be a definitive answer for some questions because these answers are often subjective. That is probably the reason why all of the Silent Hill video games have more than one ending (take that for what it’s worth). If you don’t like video games with multiple endings then that is unfortunate.

In my honest opinion, the Silent Hill video games are less about scaring people than they are about putting them into the shoes of a character with a less than perfect history or perhaps a dark past (it depends). The nice thing about these Silent Hill video games is that players get to experience their characters' darkest fears and bring the truth into perspective. The town of Silent Hill will often manifest these fears and make it easier for the characters to face the truth about themselves or past events. Each Silent Hill video game is different but I think this is a suitable description for them all.

With that being said, I have always found the Silent Hill video games to be far more interesting than the Resident Evil video games. There are some exceptions to this (some Resident Evil video games are better than some Silent Hill video games and vice versa) but on average the storylines in Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 4: The Room keep me far more interested than anything the Resident Evil series has to offer.

Should I try the next one?

Not unless you are willing to approach these Silent Hill video games differently.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2918 posts

Apr 10, 2012

Well it is all based on one's own opinion, but thanks for the answers. To be honest it was not interesting to me at all: it primarily felt like I was going into a hunted house at a circus. It's a shame though, I've heard good things about this game, but I guess it's not for me.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4909 posts

Apr 13, 2012

Silent hill is a psychological horror/thriller game so it's pretty much designed to make you say "WTF?" everywhere you go hahaha

If you really want to 'understand' Silent Hill, I recommened you go on google and type "Silent Hill Wikia".

There you will find backstories and (speculated) reasonings to Fog world, Otherworld (the nightmare/hellish enviro), the Monsters.mainfestations, the charcaters and possible tie-ins. But if you don't like researching/reading you may just end up frying your head instead lol

For example, Silent Hill 3 is the only 'sequel' Silent hill game since it actually ties to Silent hill 1.

you know that girl Heather mason in SH3? She is the 'daughter' (well...step/adopted daughter) of Harry Mason (SH1 protagonist) so basically in SH1 the 'Best Ending' is pretty much the canon ending for Silent Hill 1. If you play through SH1 and 3, you can kind of see how they play out.

Silent Hill 2, 4, homecoming are kind of 'Stand-alone' Silent Hill's if you ask me. (I haven't played Downpour, only read about it on the wikia as I mentioned above)

Though Silent Hill 2 has more the psychological element to it than the others in my opinion.

If anything, Silent Hill is more understandable (to me somewhat, doesn't necessarily apply to all) if you have some knowledge of Psychology, but that's just me

but yeah man, silent Hill is a good game, the only frustatrting thing about it really is to 'Understand' it really.

if you want scary, play Fatal frame....which come to think of it...they should add those next in the HD collection

Batman-Why do we fall? WE fall so we can learn to get back up!
Nightwing- No! that's not true, we fall because SOMEONE pushes us. We get up....to Push Back!
N52 Nightwing 30

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (295 Views)
0 Likes