Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 17 2011
By: Sushi_Pirate Fender Bender 4029 posts

Gamescom- Silent Hill Downpour…in 3D!

8 replies 677 views Edited Aug 17, 2011

Gamescom_Day_1_021.jpgMy next stop on the showroom floor was Silent Hill: Downpour, and due to being there early I was able to grab the large screen TV with 3D functionality and really test out the game. 

The controls were along the same lines as previous Silent Hill games so no surprises there, and the inbred sense of isolation was still prevalent.  The only enemy/opponent I came across was something that reminded me of the old film Poltergeist: A big singularity/black hole that chased me for quite a while. My one issue with this is that you are able to throw objects into the path of your assailant/attacker to get away which is a fantastic idea, however how does that slow down a moving singularity/black hole? 

The 3D itself looked quite impressive with the water effects (probably true to its name) being prevalent throughout the demo level which was available.  It seemed the constantly water was trickling down the screen, filing the room, or at one part I went down a giant industrial waterslide, which worked quite well with the 3D option.

There were certainly no sightings of triangle head, and from asking around he isn’t going to be in the game, so that is one question answered!  I’ll see what else I can find out tomorrow!

-S

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (677 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11426 posts

Re: Gamescom- Silent Hill Downpour…in 3D!

Aug 18, 2011

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

My next stop on the showroom floor was Silent Hill: Downpour, and due to being there early I was able to grab the large screen TV with 3D functionality and really test out the game. 

The controls were along the same lines as previous Silent Hill games so no surprises there, and the inbred sense of isolation was still prevalent.  The only enemy/opponent I came across was something that reminded me of the old film Poltergeist: A big singularity/black hole that chased me for quite a while. My one issue with this is that you are able to throw objects into the path of your assailant/attacker to get away which is a fantastic idea, however how does that slow down a moving singularity/black hole? 

The 3D itself looked quite impressive with the water effects (probably true to its name) being prevalent throughout the demo level which was available.  It seemed the constantly water was trickling down the screen, filing the room, or at one part I went down a giant industrial waterslide, which worked quite well with the 3D option.

There were certainly no sightings of triangle head, and from asking around he isn’t going to be in the game, so that is one question answered!  I’ll see what else I can find out tomorrow!

-S

Which Silent Hill video games are you reminded of in terms of "controls" when you play through Silent Hill: Downpour? Not all of the Silent Hill video games “play the same” as I’m sure you know. There have been drastic gameplay alterations to these video games following the release of Silent Hill 3.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (677 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Aug 18, 2011

SweetPoison13 wrote:

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

My next stop on the showroom floor was Silent Hill: Downpour, and due to being there early I was able to grab the large screen TV with 3D functionality and really test out the game. 

-S

Which Silent Hill video games are you reminded of in terms of "controls" when you play through Silent Hill: Downpour? Not all of the Silent Hill video games “play the same” as I’m sure you know. There have been drastic gameplay alterations to these video games following the release of Silent Hill 3.

To be honest I've only played the first three Silent Hill games, so I would have to say the controls are very much along the lines of classic, or the same style as though first few games. 

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (677 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
767 posts

Aug 21, 2011

OooooOOohh, here's a neat lil video:

Enjoy ^_^

- Retro

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (677 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11426 posts

Aug 21, 2011

RockinRetrobilly wrote:

SNIP

Enjoy ^_^

- Retro

Sig credit goes to Chingkwee!

I find that difficult to enjoy considering that I know what Silent Hill 2 is supposed to sound like.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (677 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Aug 22, 2011

SweetPoison13 wrote:

RockinRetrobilly wrote:

SNIP

Enjoy ^_^

- Retro

I find that difficult to enjoy considering that I know what Silent Hill 2 is supposed to sound like.

It sounded quite odd to me as well, especially James' voice from SH 2.  I know it's a silly small thing, and I'm sure the sound quality and depth will be better, but when you grow up listening to one voice actor it's a hard switch.

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (677 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4065 posts

Aug 22, 2011

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

SweetPoison13 wrote:

RockinRetrobilly wrote:

SNIP

Enjoy ^_^

- Retro

It sounded quite odd to me as well, especially James' voice from SH 2.  I know it's a silly small thing, and I'm sure the sound quality and depth will be better, but when you grow up listening to one voice actor it's a hard switch.

-SP

I think the biggest thing for Silent Hill fans with the new voices is, you for the most part having these voices embedded in your head. I know when I played the orignal games. I played them over and over again. So having the voices being change definitely irratates that for me. I can see myself playing it hopefully it still can carry the same vibe it did when I played years ago. I am part of the Hell Decent forums that have a Silent Hill discussion thread. Some people say that voice acting in the originals werent that good. Yet I think that was the charm of them. You ran into these characters that seem to be disconnected from reality. So you as a player were confused and didn't know what was going on!

I think everybody wants everything to make sense to be good? That is a the allure of Silent Hill, you really don't know why things are happening. We will see when it comes out!

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (677 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4065 posts

Aug 22, 2011

I can say I am not too happy with Jame's Voice it sound like soap opera actor!  Seriously one thing to piss me off! I think the original actors were fine! Doing Eddie over again sounds totally different! Dang Konami! Maria doesn't sound that bad but still I like the other voice for her!

I totally loved how Tomm rolled his eyes when he said I know some of us Silent Hill fans are curious about the new voice actors. Well duh I think we have a right to be Curious!

Now I can't wait until he introduces the Korn song for Silent Hill Downpour. His eyes will be popping out of his sockets when he makes that announcement, do you see epic failure there? Sorry I think Korn is and will be the bad choice for Silent Hill. I mean if you said Marilyn Manson, it would be like oh I can see that. Yet Korn just has the big W.T.F FLAG all over it!

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (677 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Aug 25, 2011

FreshRevenge wrote:

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

SweetPoison13 wrote:

RockinRetrobilly wrote:

SNIP

Enjoy ^_^

- Retro

-SP

I think the biggest thing for Silent Hill fans with the new voices is, you for the most part having these voices embedded in your head. I know when I played the orignal games. I played them over and over again. So having the voices being change definitely irratates that for me. I can see myself playing it hopefully it still can carry the same vibe it did when I played years ago. I am part of the Hell Decent forums that have a Silent Hill discussion thread. Some people say that voice acting in the originals werent that good. Yet I think that was the charm of them. You ran into these characters that seem to be disconnected from reality. So you as a player were confused and didn't know what was going on!

I think everybody wants everything to make sense to be good? That is a the allure of Silent Hill, you really don't know why things are happening. We will see when it comes out!

Yep, it's like when they re-did Akira about...wow has it been nearly 10 years ago now...I just dated myself   Anyways I grew up watching Akira with the poorly done dubbing of the late 80's and I just could never sit through the whole movie with the newer dubbing.  I think it's a personal thing, for me I associate voice, tone, inflection very closely with who a person is.  For example if they re-did GoW 1-3 and replaced Kratos' voice actor with...I don't know, Patrick Stewart...while I like Patrick Stewart it just wouldn't work for me. 

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (677 Views)
0 Likes