Aug 17 2013
By: wreckastowe Santa Monica Studios Developer 146 posts

Stability issues (PLEASE READ)

12 replies 625 views Edited Aug 17, 2013

Hey folks.

First off, thank you for continuing to be vocal on this forum with issues you’re experiencing with the game. We read everything and are working very hard to reproduce the issues described here and see what we can do to reduce or eliminate some of these problems.

Here’s a brief summary of our findings so that you are aware in the short term.

In short, our amazing creation community is creating more awesome than we expected! Translation: There are some massive levels with loads of entities and sounds that are taxing the editor and creating some instability leading to some script errors/crashes in some cases and in very severe cases, causing corrupt save files that are non-recoverable.

We believe this is mainly due to heavy use of collectable notes/loops. The game DOES have a limit as to how many sounds (in total size in memory to be more exact) can be loaded into a level at one time. When that limit has been exceeded, the game drops sounds from memory and loads in new sounds. This is what’s happening when you see short hiccups during gameplay. So when there are levels with A LOT of sounds, this is where the game can get unstable, leading to a crash.

We believe the corrupt save issue is an overload crash DURING the save process. The game cannot complete the save successfully, resulting in a corrupt file.

SOLUTION:

We’re looking to add a max collectable note/loop warning (similar to the object limit warning) to inform users that they are over the base limit of sounds in a particular screen or level. This will not be a limiter, but a notification to help creators work within the constraints of the game. You will still be able to add more sounds, but you will at least know where the barrier is so you can plan accordingly.

IN THE MEANTIME:

If you receive a script error/crash, you are likely far over the sound limit and you may experience further stability issues as long as the game session lasts. We’d recommend removing sounds to reduce the size of the level and saving often.

Re-booting the game will reset the memory allocation, so if you’re experiencing ANY instability, we recommend you save what you’re doing and reboot the game.

Thanks for your patience and continued support. We never expected where the community has taken the game since launch. There’s some AMAZING work out there. Very sorry you’re experiencing stability issues. We’ll do everything we can to solve these issues ASAP.

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 13 (625 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Re: Stability issues (PLEASE READ)

Aug 18, 2013

I'm not so sure that "sound" is the ultimate culprit here.  I have had script errors without placing any loop notes at all, just single note sounds. I had one last night, that appeared after I was quiting a level that featured NO loop notes at all.   These script errors happen to people who attempt artistic renderings,  with out having even placed any notes, as well.  And it happens to people who haven't made a single graphical contribution to a level and have only placed notes.  So there isn't enough scientific method employed to come up with "loop notes" as the culprit, in my opinion.  I really think the problem is something else, but I dont know anything about game architecture or memeory restrictions.  

ALSO:  the verbage in the warnings already in place arent nearly explanatory enough.  In the case of there being "too many entities on one screen" we are then left to say to ourselves, "huh?  which screen?"  or   "what does that mean?".  The level becomes completely choked up but there isn't any helpful hints or info ANYWHERE in the game to describe or suggest a way to diagnose or fix.  Its basically just "go figure this out yourself".  I cant tell you how many people have messaged me about this problem and I have had to hold their hand through the solution.  There's just not enough built into to the game as far as explanation for the editor.

Message 2 of 13 (595 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7276 posts

Aug 18, 2013

Yea, sometimes I get that message about too many entities too and it took me a while to understand it but eventually I got it.

My levels have A LOT of loop notes in them because those are the bases of my levels. But I realized, as I got more creative, I got more script errors. I even got script errors playing other peoples levels too(some that have loops and others that don't). And the script errors seem to happen to me in well populated levels or long levels like beej said a while back. But I think that it could be too many objects moving in the level itself? Because the level that made my game corrupt had a bunch of moving creatures, loop notes, populated screens, and moving environments like fire and water.

And could the fact that I had all of my "Create a Level" spaces occupied? Like, could that have also slowed down my game because they are always full and I always get a script error when I play.

And another thing, I have not seen this error on PS3 yet. Only on my vita.

Ill try to pay more attention to when I get a script error so i can report my details.

Message 3 of 13 (580 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 19, 2013
I'm having issues as well. "Too many entities on screen" appears in my editor no matter what I try to do, even if there are no objects on the screen. It also happens when I simply try to move an object. I can't edit, add, or delete anything on the level I'm creating.
Please advise! - PS3 user.
Message 4 of 13 (574 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7276 posts

Aug 20, 2013

LowNote wrote:
I'm having issues as well. "Too many entities on screen" appears in my editor no matter what I try to do, even if there are no objects on the screen. It also happens when I simply try to move an object. I can't edit, add, or delete anything on the level I'm creating.
Please advise! - PS3 user.

Ok so you had this problem too then! I thought it was because I backed up my save file. This happened earlier today when I was editing my #BDay level trying to publish. I would do to edit something and that message would post there for me too and it would make my game flip out. It would also reverse all the things I did and made objects I deleted re appear. I don't know why it was doing this, but soon I just gave up and Published because there was no way around it. Though there where somethings I wanted to change, it just broke more stuff. If I get the chance, I will go back and edit that level, but right now, it is too jumpy and that message ALWAYS pops up on that level.

And this started happening today. It took me an hour just to delete one triangle piece though it would not let me move anything over to fix things. VERY Frustrating. Robot Sad

Message 5 of 13 (555 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Aug 20, 2013

Yuuuup.... Same issues. Things I've deleted in the past started reappearing, and I can't make any changes whatsoever in the editor without the "too many entities..." window popping up. It's a shame, because it's the first level I've tried to create, spending all my free time for the past two weeks trying to get something good and now I think I've lost it all....... I'll end up trying again anyway because I think this is one of the best games out there. Waiting for an update first.....

Glad to hear I'm not alone at here.

Message 6 of 13 (552 Views)
Santa Monica Studios Developer
146 posts

Aug 23, 2013

LowNote - Did you save your game to the cloud? If so, we can likely retreive it and look at what might be causing the problem.

Thanks

Message 7 of 13 (523 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Aug 26, 2013

Yes, as of 08.26.13.

The level is (appropriately) named "CloudCrusher Ver.1"

This is my first attempt at making a level, I wouldn't mind if it could be salvaged or not. I've learned from it and already moved on to making another level. I hope you can find out what the issue is so that future creators can avoid the same problem I had. 

Let me know if you need any additional info, thanks for your help!

Message 8 of 13 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7276 posts

Aug 31, 2013

wreckastowe wrote:

LowNote - Did you save your game to the cloud? If so, we can likely retreive it and look at what might be causing the problem.

Thanks

The funny thing is, that issue didnt happen until i Cloud Saved to the PS+ thing. Because i was afraid of what happened last ime, i cloud saved in the middle of making ym level and then all he things that happened to Lownote started happening to me.

Maybe it is he Cloud Save because like i said, the issues didnt start happening until i cloud saved to Plus.

Message 9 of 13 (455 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2709 posts

Sep 1, 2013

i'm having this problem on the ps3 version. i've been working on a level for the past week. its long enough, currently has around 170 notes, hoping to go a little higher.

but in this level, sometimes when in create mode, the notes will not play for three screens (going to the right) like they are suppose to. they only play in the screen where the coins are. and then nothing.

another problem with this level is when i go into play mode sometimes the "thing" will not stick to some of the "sticking" terrain and just falls right off.

when i notice these i hurry up and save then exit the game and go back in and it works again. notes play for the duration they're suppose to and the "thing" sticks to the "sticking" terrain.

Message 10 of 13 (448 Views)
0 Likes