Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 06 2012
By: chickenbonetom Treasure Hunter 7533 posts

Rumor: Star Wars: Battlefront III in Development at Spark Unlimited, Coming This Year

31 replies 503 views Edited Feb 6, 2012

http://playstationlifestyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/StarWarsBattlefrontIII_feature.jpg

It’s been over six years since the release of the critically acclaimed Star Wars: Battlefront II, but eager gamers still haven’t seen a third game in the series. Luckily, we’ve uncovered new information that points towards the current developer of the game, and when it will release.

Developer Spark Unlimited were previously rumored to be working on Battlefront III – but at the time there was virtually no evidence to back up the assertion. All people had to go on was the fact that the developer’s Twitter wouldn’t deny (or confirm) that it was their project, and the fact that their site said “We are in production on an unannounced high-profile, popular game sequel for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC release.”

Now, however, new info seems to back up the original rumor with a lot more evidence. A job listing states (emphasis added):

Spark is looking for a senior combat designer for a 3rd Person Action/Adventure sequel in a high-profile science fiction franchise currently greenlit for full production development for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC markets.

Of course, the Call of Duty: Finest Hour developer could be working on a different science fiction franchise – not that there are that many that aren’t already signed to a developer. But then there’s the LinkedIn profile for John Lawrie, who used to be Senior Software Engineer for Spark Unlimited, which lists under his work for the developer:

Unannounced third person sword fighting game (well known IP, Xbox 360, PS3)

And what is the most famous sci-fi sword? The lightsaber of course. And before you wonder, another developer’s LinkedIn confirms it is a shooter as well:

I have been working for three years in a AAA third person shooter using Unreal Engine and Kynapse AI middleware.

It’s pretty hard to think of any other high profile sci-fi franchises that have already been games, are third person, and involve shooting and swordplay – so this all suggests BFIII. But there have been some suggestions that Spark Unlimited is working on a Star Wars game that isn’t a sequel – something that seems unlikely when you look at a recent tweet from the developer (emphasis added):

Since we are working on a sequel for a well known sci-fi franchise, all aspects must remain secret.

With all these signs pointing towards Battlefront III, you probably want to know when you can get your hands on the game. According to the current Senior Engineer at Spark Unlimited’s LinkedIn:

• Currently – New unannounced project! (~2012 release)

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
929 posts

Re: Rumor: Star Wars: Battlefront III in Development at Spark Unlimited, Coming This Year

Feb 11, 2012

If this is true, its time to get excited

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7533 posts

Re: Rumor: Star Wars: Battlefront III in Development at Spark Unlimited, Coming This Year

Feb 13, 2012

Sice71 wrote:

If this is true, its time to get excited

I know right finally a good Next-Gen Star Wars game to play.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
929 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Now, we just need more people to come to the forums to get excited.  These forums are dead.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7533 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Sice71 wrote:

Now, we just need more people to come to the forums to get excited.  These forums are dead.

Well that's because the Star Wars Game Series is daed lol. Well perhaps not if Battlefront III iz really coming.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
929 posts

Feb 15, 2012

My kids & I still play Battlefront 2 on occasion when were not playing Uncharted 3

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
929 posts

Feb 18, 2012

WOW, I guess no one cares about it then, thats too bad, I guess it will be just me chickenbone and my kids playing.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7533 posts

Feb 19, 2012

Sice71 wrote:

WOW, I guess no one cares about it then, thats too bad, I guess it will be just me chickenbone and my kids playing.

Na there are ppl who still play Battlefront II. Just not many of them lol. But yes I've seen ppl still play this game.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1881 posts

Feb 19, 2012

Its not that no one really cares or doesn't play Battlefront anymore. Its just that it has the boy that cried world syndrome going for it now. I don't know how many times we've heard that III is being made (or how many different studios were supposedly doing it) or shown tech demos etc etc. I'm not gonna bother gearing up my hype machine until it is sitting on a shelf ready for me to buy.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7533 posts

Feb 20, 2012

DevilishBoredom wrote:

Its not that no one really cares or doesn't play Battlefront anymore. Its just that it has the boy that cried world syndrome going for it now. I don't know how many times we've heard that III is being made (or how many different studios were supposedly doing it) or shown tech demos etc etc. I'm not gonna bother gearing up my hype machine until it is sitting on a shelf ready for me to buy.

I hear ya on that one. This iz like the 5th time they had sum crazy rumor that Battlefront III iz coming out. I really don't grasp why they don't wanna release this game. It's like they don't want our money or sumthin. Well who knos mayb this iz the one Rumor that has truth to it. I would truly luv to see Battlefront III on my PS3 as it would rule on so many levels.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 32 (503 Views)
0 Likes