Apr 24 2013
By: Chedwidden Hekseville Citizen 275 posts

To All Battlefronts 2 fans!! THE SERVERS ARE BACK ONLINE!!!

[ Edited ]
11 replies 617 views Edited Apr 24, 2013

Thank the Force!!  (translation:  $^@k*%g hooyah!!)

Round up all your Jedi and stormtrooper buddies, cuz Battlefronts online is back!!  (well, actually they never left).

The gist is that an almighty screw up with the game servers caused the famous and loved Battlefronts games to go down a left fork in the road…while all the online gamers turned down the right fork and got permanently lost.  Well, not ALL the gamers, because apparently the players operating off their PCs were backtracked and found the correct fork some time ago.  (I can’t give enough THANKS and credit to the gamer(s) who figured this out---they’re the genius!) They just didn’t do so well getting the word out to everybody…

Get the following directions out to as many players as you can!! Sorry this is long, but it’s a process of steps you have to go through.   And READ ALL the steps and advice here. 

SW Battlefronts 2: 

GOOD news is, once they’re online to the right server, BOTH the 60GB fat CECHA and the 80GB fat (CECHE model ONLY) fully work online-multiplayer, and you can even HOST sessions via your PS3, all the hosting options fully functional.  (the mic/headphone function is the only thing I haven’t tested—someone needs to let us know).

BAD news is, most of the PS3 (& vintage-PS2) figured the game doesn’t exist anymore, so the only players still on it are the PC version players (apparently they have custom arena scripting abilities too).  Because they’ve kept playing during the years the rest of us were away from the game and clueless, their skills are incredible.

I got on a SWBF2 last Saturday and got my battledroid butt mowed down by better players who just wanted me to step out their line of fire...

I hosted my own sessions, (but of course no players joined in, cuz the rest of you hadn’t been told the server’s even here.) 

Getting connecting to the SWBF2 server:

“Lord Vader, I’ve reached the RIGHT Server—the Network will be up in moments; you may start your landing”:

You need of course to create a ‘PS2 network configuration’ on your console to play PS2 discs online.  The b/c PS3 models have a built in software app that will “emulate” a version of the PS2 net-config (seems to work the same way on the 60GB and the 80GB unit)…but the only way to get that app to come onscreen is to load one of the PS2 games that come with the old PS2 Network Adapter Startup.  (I used Brothers in Arms or the old SOCOM games).                  

When the onscreen network setup sequence starts, select “auto” in each of the setting options, and let your PS3 set up the configuration for you.  This “auto” network configuration IS NOT going to get you online for the battlefront games!! It will only cause Battlefront to download a Patch to your console. But you’ll need this Auto net-config if you plan to try any of your other PS2 titles online, so you might as well set it up.

You will be creating an ADDITIONAL net-config special for the SWBF games.    

Load the SWBF2 disc, and go to multiplayer, then internet option. 

If they tell you download a Patch and restart the console, relax and just do it---IT WON’T WORK. (the forums are full of various theories about why it doesn't work, or about whether your PS3 secretly accesses the patch in the some unknown way, whatever,  but just download the darned thing.)   

Next, you need to create an ADDITIONAL net-config, special for the SWBF.  And you have to REMOVE the Battlefronts 2 disc to do it (cuz for now, the BF2 game won’t let you get passed the patch download screen.  Open the PS3 net-config app (yep, reload that ole PS2 game with the network startup again). 

Once back on the net-config screen, you need to ADD a new network (with CUSTOM settings this time, not like the first Auto config that you let the PS3 create for you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOhRS1pkI_A  :smileyindifferent:

Follow the steps in THIS youtube link---it shows that you’ll be choosing a ‘manual’ DNS setting and a long string of numbers that you have to type (scroll) for the address.  That’s what gets you out of the Bermuda Triangle, and reaches the correct SWBF2 server!  Give this custom net-config a good title, and exit the app.

Now (and from now on), load the SWBF2 disc and go to the game’s multiplayer/internet.  Battlefronts will ask you which of the two net-configuration settings to use----pick the CUSTOM config you made.  The Force is now with you!

:smileyindifferent:

BE ADVISED, for any other PS2 game this CUSTOM config you created has the WRONG ADDRESS.  No other PS2 game will work online using this config---you have to use the regular ‘Auto’ config for those games.

THIS CUSTOM SWBF2 NET-CONFIG WON’T EVEN WORK for Battlefronts One!!

SWBF1 has a separate different server address, so there’s more work coming up that you need to do…!

Physically WRITE DOWN that long “DNS” number someplace safe--- finding this info on a forum or video again is not a guarantee…

I also back up my console on a USB drive, so I never have to go through this process more than twice. 

:smileysurprised:(yes, I said TWICE… cuz you have to do this all over again separately for SWBF1).

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (617 Views)
Survivor
2452 posts

Re: To All Battlefronts 2 fans!! THE SERVERS ARE BACK ONLINE!!!

Apr 24, 2013
I would love to join you but I have a newer PS3 so no backwards-compatibility for me.
 photo FlashSig_zpsf2c14030.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (612 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: To All Battlefronts 2 fans!! THE SERVERS ARE BACK ONLINE!!!

Apr 24, 2013
Darth, in the words of the famous Charlie Brown kid:

"AARRRuuuuu-uGG!"

Yeah, I'm afraid you're not alone on the lack of accessible hardware...
(Darn those PS3-slims... Hate em. ...I just hate em. They're just, antisocial units.) Hee Hee.

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (609 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Re: THE SERVERS ARE BACK ONLINE!!! Part 2 - SWBF1

May 2, 2013

:robotsurprised:

Yes, I did say you’d have to do this server retargeting process TWICE… cuz you have to do this all over again separately for SWBF1.

After kicking the red dust out of 300 geonosians and destroying the hoth shield generator for the 200th time with SWBF2 online glee… you may get curious about the EARLIER Battlefronts-1 game…

The news is a little rougher for Battlefronts One.

SW Battlefronts 1: 

The GOOD news is, if you have the 60GB (CECHA), all the online-multiplayer capabilities are still there, you can even HOST classic sessions via your PS3 for other players to join in on, all the hosting options fully functional.  (mic/headphone untested).

The BAD news (plural), is that the 80GB b/c model (even the MGS edition I have) does NOT play this game in online mode.  Even after you set up the config with the information I’m about to give ya’ here, you CANNOT get on online multiplayer.  I've repeatedly tried over several weekends, and failed.

In offline SINGLE-player modes my 80GB unit plays SWBF1 no prob, but when I try to select online modes, it calmly “kicks out” and returns me to the PS3 startup XMB screen.  With no explanations….  Anyone who succeeds where I failed, let us know your good news. 

The other bad news is, keep in mind that when SWBF1 first came out its native online mode was VERY limited.  Once BF2 with its classier multiplayer came out, BF1 was almost spat on by comparison, so right now it’s a barren online desert.

No, the server’s not dead,…it is just temporarily forsaken (…cuz none of us knew it still existed and where).  You’ll have to contact some friends for a reunion party in order to kick-start some sessions. 

(Post some dates and I’ll join you in a heartbeat—I love BF1 as much as BF2, regardless of its online limitations.) 

Connecting to the SWBF1 Online Server, “The RIGHT Server is marked, and Locked In!”:

You need to repeat every step you did for SWBF2, … EXCEPT, you’ll be manually typing a different string of numbers in the DNS setting for the SWBF1 address this time (different server from the one for BF2). 

So you HAVE to go through the whole process listed above once more. 

You have to load the SWBF1 disc, pick multiplayer/ internet, pick your Auto config setting (that will prompt the dubious SWBF1 Patch download), save the Patch and exit the game.

You have to repeat the CUSTOM network configuration setup shown in the youtube vid,  and ADD ANOTHER new network configuration. 

This means you will end up with THREE separate optional network settings on your PS3 console:  the “Auto” one for any online PS2 game you want to try except the two SW Battlefront games,… then the first CUSTOM net-config you made special for battlefront 2 online, and now another CUSTOM one that only connects to BF1’s online galaxy. 

The youtube creator did his video for SWBF2, so he doesn’t show the string of numbers for SWBF1 that you have to type in at the DNS address.  That number string is here:

99  :  198  :  122  :  113 

When you’re finished, give this network setting a title so you can tell it apart from the one you use for SWBF2.

Remember now, that THIS setting only works on SWBF1 online mode---IT’S THE WRONG ADDRESS FOR SWBF2 or for ANY OTHER PS2 GAME.  If you forget one day, and try getting some other PS2 game to go online, your PS3 will keep giving you a connection failure message and you’ll think your console is broken---so don’t mix up the three net-configs.  One is for SWBF2 only, the other only for SWBF1, and one is the Auto setting that will connect all the other vintage PS2 games out there (yeah I know, most of those titles really DID shut down their servers years ago…). 

Whew… that’s it.  “I have been waiting a long time ObiWan Kenobi.  The circle is now complete…”

Some last Notes:

• Headphone/Mic in this game?  I have one but never used it.  Let me know if others among you used it much in this game.

• I’ve always liked backseating in a Y-wing or Snowspeeder, so when you folks play these games, REMEMBER TO WAIT a couple of seconds to give somebody a chance to hop in the rear of your ship!!

• About the SWBF1 and BF2 Patches.  I only THINK they are not being used by the PS3 units, but I’m always dumb enough to be wrong.  I’m so glad to have access to the battlefronts games again that I’m too afraid to delete the patches from my console and risk screwing up my server connection.   But if anyone tries deleting or moving the patches from his memory card, let us know the results.

I also copied each patch to a separate memory card…just in case they come in useful somewhere in the future (hey, with Sony consoles, you NEVER know!)  I never bought the Network Adapter for the PS2 I had, so I cannot tell if the patches help in any way when using a PS2 to go online.

• In SWBF2, my player/host name is always “JUKASSA”.
  • In SWBF1, my name is always “YAREAL”.  If you see these two names hosting, you’ll know it’s Chedwidden. 

Hope to “meet” some of you returning to the game, even if just for nostalgia sake. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (582 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7486 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Are the servers still online to this day? I'm bout to pick this game up.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (523 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 16, 2013

:smileywink: Yep, the Servers for both these games (Battlefront 1 and Battlefront 2) NEVER left the net.  They just botched up the communication to players when they did maintenance on the Server and gave out an incorrect address to us. 

Remember, unless you have a back-compatible PS3 you can't get your game disc to connect to the game servers.  Having that backwards-comp console and following the instructions above for entering the RIGHT server address. 

Enjoy!!  And may the Force be......

imagesCA6JYU5R.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (510 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7486 posts

Jul 18, 2013

Chedwidden wrote:

:smileywink: Yep, the Servers for both these games (Battlefront 1 and Battlefront 2) NEVER left the net.  They just botched up the communication to players when they did maintenance on the Server and gave out an incorrect address to us. 

Remember, unless you have a back-compatible PS3 you can't get your game disc to connect to the game servers.  Having that backwards-comp console and following the instructions above for entering the RIGHT server address. 

Enjoy!!  And may the Force be......

imagesCA6JYU5R.jpg

Luckily I do have a Backwards Compatible PS3 so i'm bout to see if this works for me or not.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (506 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Jul 19, 2013

:smileyhappy: Just remember to type EVERY number correctly in the address... ONE wrong digit and you've no chance of connecting.  One address for BF2 server, and a SEPARATE address for BF1.

:smileysad: And don't be surprised if you find BF-1 a barren wasteland.  Although I love that game better than BF-2, it's online just couldn't  keep players interested once BF2 came out.

:smileywink: And most important of all... Once you successfully connect, SPREAD the word and the DNS addresses to as many people as you can!!! 

imagesCA6JYU5R.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (500 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
7486 posts

Jul 20, 2013

Chedwidden wrote:

:smileyhappy: Just remember to type EVERY number correctly in the address... ONE wrong digit and you've no chance of connecting.  One address for BF2 server, and a SEPARATE address for BF1.

:smileysad: And don't be surprised if you find BF-1 a barren wasteland.  Although I love that game better than BF-2, it's online just couldn't  keep players interested once BF2 came out.

:smileywink: And most important of all... Once you successfully connect, SPREAD the word and the DNS addresses to as many people as you can!!! 

imagesCA6JYU5R.jpg

I'll be damned it worked lol I'm playing SWBF2 Online again!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (494 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Jul 22, 2013

:smileywink::smileywink::smileywink:  Welcome back!!  I'll send you my bill later....Force be with you!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (489 Views)
0 Likes