Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 21 2012
By: GOW71 Keyblade Wielder 7464 posts

1.04 SIDEWINDER LOCK-ON DISCUSSION

[ Edited ]
94 replies 494 views Edited Sep 25, 2012

Alright so this topic is scattered all over the place so I thought I'd try and bring it all to one place... no one knows HOW it is going to work yet... just getting my thoughts out there for healthy discussion.

So I was originally not for the SW lock-on, still very iffy about it.  However I have done some thinking and experimenting just riding around. I think the biggest factor as far as the lock on is concerned is going to be over the distance that it is fired and terrain between said rocket and SW.

The MAW rocket is not super manueverable.. the SW is if you time it just right it seems it may be able to cut a corner and shake the rocket.  Just like organic missle scrubbing if you will.

Will we have a lock-on notifier? I certainly hope so... or it'll be like shooting fish in a barrell.  That I don't like.

The easiest map to exploit this new lock-on would be basin... nice and open.  May actually create a real use for walls.... team can put up walls for a SW to navigate back to base through to avoid missle locks?

I like that a SW won't be able to just zip in a base with turret jammer cap a flag and zip off untouched ( I do it. It's easy enough) that SW rider will have to be a tad more careful now.

The more I think of it, the more I think it could really make the game far more interesting.   Like I said... still a little iffy as we are not sure how it works... but starting to become more ok with the idea.

Message 1 of 95 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1351 posts

Re: SIDEWINDER LOCK-ON

Sep 21, 2012
I can see it working just fine as long as the lock-on range isn't ridiculously long and the rocket tracks pretty loosely so its odds of hitting terrain are increased. If you can get a lock from a great distance, God help us all.
Message 2 of 95 (486 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Sep 21, 2012

I don't know. I like the idea very much. Hopefully they maker the SW more durable where it doesn't only take one rocket to destroy it. This way atleast the rider has some time to reconsider if he/she wants to keep zipping around that person.

Message 3 of 95 (476 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

Sep 21, 2012

Im not sure up close if a MAW can track the SW at speed. So CQC with it may remain similar.

Message 4 of 95 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

Sep 21, 2012
I feel like if you lock on, look up a little and jump when you fire it should come in at a downward angle. If it has that spiraling trajectory still, it could be an issue. All in all, I doubt I'll use the SW if the lock on is too ridiculous.
Message 5 of 95 (463 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2622 posts

Sep 21, 2012

i still do not like the idea of the sidewinder lock on... and supposedly you can't scrub it either which makes me not like it even more...

Message 6 of 95 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4677 posts

Sep 21, 2012

I love SideWinder lockon.  I think if you are a homer who runs around enemy base on a SW just to run people over, not only should the lock on kill you.  But it should make every SW you get on for the rest of the map explode.  Because you are a homer.

The only thing that takes precedence to this in my mind is team balancer.

:smileytongue:

Message 7 of 95 (446 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
904 posts

Sep 21, 2012

I've been in favor of it since I heard it was announced.  I was thinking that not having a scrub method would be rough, but most maps have enough cover for you to make dodging not so hard.  Plus, unless you're using quick lock, it's going to be hard to get a lock unless the idiot is driving straight out in the open.  Whenever I grab a flag, I always make sure to drive about erratically, anyhow, because I know some people are pretty good at leading with a MAW as it is.

Message 8 of 95 (440 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Sep 21, 2012

I don't like the sidewinder lock on unless they make the range for  the rocket to sidewinder shorter to lock on because on capture the flag its going be impossible to capture it because you can lock on and I bet people will complain about this I guaranty it LOL. it might be cool but they need to make the rocket less powerfull againts sidewinders i think because of this. but im not to sure maybe ill like it we will see cant wait for the update.

Message 9 of 95 (435 Views)
0 Likes
Pistol Proficinado
590 posts

Sep 21, 2012

^^ The jumping slalom (zigzag) is great at evading maw and tank shots even a close range.

Message 10 of 95 (433 Views)
0 Likes