I Only Post Everything
1023 posts

Re: An introduction and details on Patch 1.03

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2012

LBI_Pete wrote:

Did you also measure the effect this has on zones?  Its already too easy to tag someone trying to take one of your zones with a drop pod.  This is going to have a significant, negative impact on the game mode IMO.

In our testing the faster speed/larger radius has made capturing zones more difficult, but not impossible.  As to enemy towers in your own base our designers are also aware of the potential and it’s something we are looking at specifically during our playtests.  This is also something that is tuneable in an update so we can make corrections if necessary.

Let me save you guys some time, (going just off your description) and say with 100% certainty, that this is going to have a negative impact on zones gameplay, (as you just described with slightly different wording).  Messing with the drop pods across all games modes, to try and fix your base-rapes in TDM and CTF, is a bad idea.  Don't slowly  ruin other aspects of the game (zones is probably your most polished game mode)  just because you guys can't figure out how to stop base-rapes.  Drop pods coming down in an enemy spawn are already a problem since you guys made spawn beacons dirt cheap, with these changes, they'll become weapons. 

With no dedicated servers and the lag monster killing me too often, I already get crushed by drop pods I'm clearly not under and far away from in zones, increasing the splash damage is going to ruin the fun of zones, just to placate (mostly) ground pounder servers.

When you make this change, I will still be able cluster enemy bases, and torpedo them, and then spend every 4 rift I have, planting a spawn beacon in their base.  So my team has a nice free kill if they spawn in. And when I'm spawning in during CTF, and notice a red guy going for my flag, I will home in on him much easier, and take him out, without having to land my pod on him, as exact as before...

It won't ruin the game, and may in fact work great for ground pounder servers, but other game modes will suffer.

On the positive side: New maps are always a good thing Smiley Happy

Message 201 of 1,104 (379 Views)
Lombax Warrior
180 posts

Jul 26, 2012

THE_MANGAAS wrote:

LBI_Pete wrote:

Did you also measure the effect this has on zones?  Its already too easy to tag someone trying to take one of your zones with a drop pod.  This is going to have a significant, negative impact on the game mode IMO.

In our testing the faster speed/larger radius has made capturing zones more difficult, but not impossible.  As to enemy towers in your own base our designers are also aware of the potential and it’s something we are looking at specifically during our playtests.  This is also something that is tuneable in an update so we can make corrections if necessary.

Let me save you guys some time, (going just off your description) and say with 100% certainty, that this is going to have a negative impact on zones gameplay, (as you just described with slightly different wording).  Messing with the drop pods across all games modes, to try and fix your base-rapes in TDM and CTF, is a bad idea.  Don't slowly  ruin other aspects of the game (zones is probably your most polished game mode)  just because you guys can't figure out how to stop base-rapes.  Drop pods coming down in an enemy spawn are already a problem since you guys made spawn beacons dirt cheap, with these changes, they'll become weapons. 

With no dedicated servers and the lag monster killing me too often, I already get crushed by drop pods I'm clearly not under and far away from in zones, increasing the splash damage is going to ruin the fun of zones, just to placate (mostly) ground pounder servers.

When you make this change, I will still be able cluster enemy bases, and torpedo them, and then spend every 4 rift I have, planting a spawn beacon in their base.  So my team has a nice free kill if they spawn in. And when I'm spawning in during CTF, and notice a red guy going for my flag, I will home in on him much easier, and take him out, without having to land my pod on him, as exact as before...

It won't ruin the game, and may in fact work great for ground pounder servers, but other game modes will suffer.

On the positive side: New maps are always a good thing Smiley Happy

You know what MANGAAS?

Well said.

Message 202 of 1,104 (344 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2611 posts

Jul 26, 2012

Here's the map blown up. It's easier to make things out.

http://i.imgur.com/LtulF.jpg

Message 203 of 1,104 (344 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3756 posts

Jul 26, 2012

Kinda looks like Archipelago. 

You guys should do a map remake of Archipelago. Best map ever in the history of MP games Smiley Tongue

Message 204 of 1,104 (337 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation Moderator
5785 posts

Jul 26, 2012
Hi everyone. Just came in to clean up a few off topic post a couple pages back. Excited about the new patch as well!
Message 205 of 1,104 (309 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Jul 26, 2012
Wait in Dylan's post, he mentioned a rage-quit penalty.

Is that going to be in 1.04? If so, what will it be exactly?
Message 206 of 1,104 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
478 posts

Jul 26, 2012
Thanks for the responses Pete. So nice having someone to communicate with.

Much appreciated.
Message 207 of 1,104 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
389 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2012

CALI_K1llA wrote:
Wait in Dylan's post, he mentioned a rage-quit penalty.

Is that going to be in 1.04? If so, what will it be exactly?

Uhhh wow, your right CALI there was no mention of it as far as I know. I think with all the excitement of all the other cool stuff it got swept under the rug.

LBI_Pete can you please go into the full discrepancies of the rage-quit penalty that was mentioned by Dylan?

Message 208 of 1,104 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4677 posts

Jul 26, 2012

SHHHH  I like Rage Quitting,

Message 209 of 1,104 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
389 posts

Jul 26, 2012

IRRES169 wrote:

SHHHH  I like Rage Quitting,

And you like starting Rage-Wars as well, feel lucky you don't get penalized for that!Man TongueMan Very HappyMan LOL

Message 210 of 1,104 (243 Views)
0 Likes