Jul 08 2012
By: Arron_Rift Uncharted Territory 1220 posts

DLC Framework & Custom Loadouts Plan

[ Edited ]
7 replies 325 views Edited Jul 8, 2012

Hi everyone!

I was thinking about how they've said that all maps will be free in Starhawk, but that they plan to sell other types of DLC. I highly approve of small, paid-for DLC (when implemented well), as this provides a profit motive for companies to maintain their games for much longer than otherwise, which benefits everyone. Also, this game's keystone is the diversity of its combat and it's game-changing Build&Battle system. It has been said that "If you want a standard shooter, go elsewhere, but if you're looking for something unique, this is the game for you!"

I think that, once the balancing issues have been worked out, LBI should play to Starhawk's strengths and invest their limited DLC resources into expanding their B&B arsenal. I think this would help to make Starhawk a truly unique, unpredictable beast of a game unlike anything else on the market! Below is how I suggest LBI could go about doing this.

(I realize that this is a pretty long post, so feel free to skip to the header that interests you and just comment on whatever you do read, I won't mind :smileyvery-happy:)

(Customizable B&B Wheel)

Firstly, I think that the slots on the B&B wheel should each be able to hold one item of a certain type, and only one. This will allow players to have a wide assortment of possible B&B loadouts upon respawn, but they will never be able to access everything at once. For example, if you were to spend $3 to buy the ability to spawn sniper-auto-turrets, then you could go into a menu and swap out the normal auto-turret for a sniper-turret on your B&B wheel, similar to the weapon menu used in Ratchet&Clank. You could even have different B&B menu presets, allowing for quick tactic changing between respawns.

(Vehicle Deployment)

Now DLC vehicles would be a little more complicated than structures. I like the idea of how structures, when placed, would benefit everyone on the team, even those without the DLC. I am thinking that the vehicles should somehow work in the same manner.

My first idea was that each new vehicle would come with its own, unique spawner-building that anyone could operate once placed. In this way, this would not be one of those "pay to kill" games, but instead a person with a DLC would become a benefit to their entire team, as their spawner would continue to deal out its respective vehicle for teammates until it was destroyed. This could even be kept fair between teams, as a future balancing system could attempt to keep the total number of DLC content even between both teams. This would also increase the value of defending your structures, as you would want to protect the spawers that you don't have the DLC for, as once they're gone, you won't be able to use their vehicle until you get someone else to call down another spawner for you. However, this system would really tax the build limit, as every vehicle would need its own building, and may lead to people frequently tearing down each other's spawners so that they can build their own. Plus, it would be difficult and confusing to make all of those buildings look unique.

Another way this could work is for all vehicles of the same class to come from the same spawner. For example, if I were to buy an "Iron Condor gunship" DLC, then when I go over to a launch pad, I cannot spawn a hawk but can instead spawn a gunship. This would probably be the simplest solution, however it would increase the discrimination against players without the DLC, which may pi$$ people off. Honestly, I kind of like the idea of vehicles being communal property, and so you are not really having to pay for the right to use a vehicle, just the right to summon your favorite one whenever you'd like!

A hybrid idea, and my personal favorite, is to give players the ability to either build a spawner capable of building their vehicle, or upgrading a spawner of the same class, for a similar or lesser cost, so that it may spawn their vehicle in addition to others. For example, if I were to have a gunship in the "aircraft" slot of my B&B wheel, then I would be able to build a launch pad for 6 rift that spawns only gunships, or I could go over to an existing launchpad that spawns hawks and spend 5 rift energy to upgrade it, allowing for it to spawn both gunships AND hawks. If someone else came along, they would be able to make this launchpad spawn either a hawk or a gunship, both for the standard costs, regardless of what DLC they may or may not have. This may result in the creation of "super spawners", such as garages that have had over 20 rift invested in them, and can now spawn 4 or 5 different vehicles, which will increase the importance of guarding your buildings. However, it may become hard to tell what spawners spawn what, though it may actually be kinda fun to go to a garage and never be sure what's available. Though if this did become a problem, I'm sure LBI could cook up some way of visually representing what a spawner had to offer.

(Vehicles in General)

I'll leave it to you guys to decide which of these methods seems the best. Either way, I think Starhawk could really benefit from more vehicles. I think that none of these vehicles should ever be "better" than any of the others, and everything should be a trade-off. For example, if I choose to use an "Armored Assault Cycle" DLC instead of the standard Sidewinder, I may benefit from its superior defense and its ability to carry a gunner, but I will be giving up the Sidewinder's increased speed and ability to jump.

Plus, this will increase the unpredictability of the game, as the more variables you throw in, the more you will have to always be thinking on your toes, as you can never be quite sure what's around the corner :smileyhappy:. For example, exactly what tactics should a tank use against a APC hexapod?

(As you may be noticing, I already have a whole bunch of ideas for vehicles and structures that could fit into this framework, but I should probably mention those in threads of their own at a later date. Keep an eye on this thread, as I will probably use this as a hub for my other ideas wherever I get around to posting them)

(Custom Loadouts)

I also think that such a DLC framework would be very symbiotic to a system that would allow players to create custom loadouts upon server creation. My idea is to create a "custom" loadout (similar to "groundpounder" and "beta") that would allow server creators to "ban" certain vehicles and structures from their game using a checklist system. When you join a game labled "custom", you could simply glance at a checklist at the bottom of the server listing and easily see what is allowed. When in such a match, any banned item on your B&B wheel would be grayed out and you wouldn't be able to use it.

(Benefits to Players)

I think this would have many benefits, as it would essentially allow for the players to balance the game themselves. If you hate auto-turrets, just ban them from your server! You want bikes to be the only vehicle, go right ahead! If you want more infantry combat, just ban everything but bunkers, walls, towers, and outposts. The possibilities are endless!

Also, they could even allow for you to save and share your custom loadouts, allowing you to quickly set up your favorite loadouts and for particularly enjoyable ones to circulate among the community, with modes like "HottLixx86's ultimate gunplay loadout" potentially becoming a popular choice for official clan matches.

(Benefits to DLC)

This would also benefit the production of DLC, as it would allow LBI to pump out the goods without the fear of ruining the game balance. If people think the "Siege Engine" in the new DLC is overpowered, they can just ban it from their server, no harm no foul.

(Benefits to LBI)

Also, LBI's development team could really benefit from implementing a system to monitor what percent of servers are banning certain items, which would probably be a great indicator of what people like and what they want more of. Numbers talk, and this would provide LBI with a factual insight into their players' minds, instead of just listening to random people whining about this and that on the message boards. If they really wanted to go the extra mile, they could even post the percentage on the DLC purchase page, providing customers with an accurate idea of how many severs will let them use a certain item before they buy.

But what do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions?

Also, you may want to see one of my other suggestions

"Warhawk Ruins” Map Concept

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------

----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (325 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1220 posts

Re: DLC Framework & Custom Loadouts Plan

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2012

As I said in the above, I may be using this thread as a hub for other threads, so I'm just reserving this first comment as overflow in case I ever hit some word limit :smileyvery-happy:

Continue commenting :smileyhappy:

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------

----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1220 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2012

And another just for good messure :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1220 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2012

realizing that 3 reserved posts are excessive, but I thought I could delete it later.

Turns out I can't :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (323 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
46746 posts

Aug 7, 2012

Arron_Rift wrote:

And another just for good messure :smileyhappy:

That was a good read by the way :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1220 posts

Aug 8, 2012
Oh thanks dude :smileyhappy:

And here I was thinking that nobody ever finished reading it LOL!:smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (211 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1026 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2012

Arron_Rift wrote:

As I said in the above, I may be using this thread as a hub for other threads, so I'm just reserving this first comment as overflow in case I ever hit some word limit :smileyvery-happy:

Continue commenting :smileyhappy:

The Mining game mode!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Starhawk-General/Suggestion-Mining-Mode/m-p/37464811/highligh...

I'm a possum. I'm usually a nice possum, but if you show up just to spite the game, boast, or try to get the game catered to you, be warned: I bite. Have a nice day!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (191 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1062 posts

Aug 8, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (183 Views)
0 Likes