Aug 15 2011
By: Sharp_Dagger Sackboy 568 posts

Dagger Interviews Leukoplast on Matchmaking

27 replies 41 views Edited Aug 15, 2011

http://starhawkradio.com/blogs/2011/08/15/interview-with-a-concerned-but-hopeful-warhead-pt-1

PS Community Forums' very own leukoplast joins Sharp_Dagger for an interview...enjoy and share your thoughts.

Cool Site: http://starhawkradio.com/blogs/
Message 1 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3370 posts

Re: Dagger Interviews Leukoplast on Matchmaking

Aug 15, 2011

Sharp_Dagger wrote:

http://starhawkradio.com/blogs/2011/08/15/interview-with-a-concerned-but-hopeful-warhead-pt-1

PS Community Forums' very own leukoplast joins Sharp_Dagger for an interview...enjoy and share your thoughts.

Can you copy and paste it hear, so I do not have to go to another site? It make life easier on me if I can just read it from here.

Message 2 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Aug 17, 2011

1. Deleted all the off topic stuff.  This thread was to discuss the interview with one of your members.  Link is clickable.

2. SuperGay, Pay attention:

"Firstly if a blogger doesn’t include a Creative Commons license it means every thing that is written on their blog or website is automatically copyright.  Direct copying  of large sections or their complete article is only allowed with permission from that blogger." Sue Waters Edublogger.

Actually I'm not going to waste my time here.  If you want to debate it by PM, message me but bring your A game.  We will discuss journalism class and etiquette.

3. Back on topic

Message 3 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1192 posts

Aug 17, 2011

Can you copy and paste it here, so I do not have to go to another site? It will make life easier on me if I can just read it from here.

Message 4 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Aug 17, 2011

When you posted it, it looked like it deleted the pictures and looked all shabby?  That would be my main issue. I like it to be presented as I have imagined.  I put a lot of work into deciding pics, order etc.  For example, at the end of the article, there is an animated picture where Emmett smiles.  I did see a site paste an interview with pics and it at least looked nice.(the guy also asked me)  People do like readers to visit their site, enjoy other content and become readers and interact.  Sure. There is nothing wrong with that.  But that is not my main motivation for posting. 

Honestly I feel a clickable link should be good.  It requires just putting the cursor on it and boom...you are ot the original work presented as intended.  In the old days people used to have to cut sand paste URLs...terrible.  Now with the clickable links, I can't imagine it being any easier. 

I don't want to take this topic too far off discussion because I was hoping you guys/gals would share thoughts on the leuk interview so if you want to discuss this more, feel free to PM me.  I have decided that since some of you guys feel it is some sort of advertising for financial gain (couldn't be further from the truth), I will only post unique interview links to this site.  If that becomes a problem too, I will post nothing to this site.  I really AM only looking out for you all.  It is all about the community for me.  If it is unappreciated, it really ruins the fun of doing the work.

I defintely would not want our entire site recreated on this site. 

Cheers.

Message 5 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Aug 18, 2011

I would like to add:

In defense of PR Servers - right now many of the officials are either intolerably laggy, or not even recording stats.  By being able to set up a PR Server, we can at least play ranked that way.

In defense of kicking:  Yes, stripping the ability to kick or ban is like taking a gun away from a cop.  Kicking for pwnage is wrong, yes it gets abused, yet for those of us wanting to host a legitmate server - kicking for going under the map, abusive language, targeting and other douchery is a necessity, and in these instances its necessary to be able to kick  without having to get 'votes', before major damage is done and you start to lose legitimate players.

Can't tell you how frustrating it is to play in the official servers and some moron is under the AA map, hosing people down with WH MG fire... and there's no. way. to get rid of him and there's no host to message.

Message 6 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Aug 18, 2011

I agree bate 100%.  When you talk to those who say host kicking is not important, often you find out that they have never hosted.  LOL  They don't realize all the things that a good host protects you from.

It even takes a while to become a good host.  When you start you are so naive.  Then when you get good the word gets out that it is not worth messing around in your server or you'll be kicked so those guys look for other more vulnerable targets. 

Imagine how bad the noob host is.  Well Sony server is worse than that.  LOL  When I think of what a good server is and a good host, it isn't merely that I don't get kicked.  It's that the host is "active" in regulating the environment and not allowing any shadiness or harassment of players.  Some hosts even greet you when they see you've joined.  That's fun!

There are such trouble makers that even just seeing their name pop up in your server (after having given them many chances in the past) you might even kick.  It's a game and your fun time and the fun of your players is key. 

Message 7 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1192 posts

Aug 18, 2011

I don't think it is likely but it would be fun to have host-kicking disabled from the start and then enabled for a select group of frequent hosts that have demonstrated impartiality. Of course, the whole thing would cost human hours in the review and complaint processing, thus the unlikely part

Message 8 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Aug 18, 2011

I can say this: Hosting can be exhausting if you do it right.  I've given up so many 50pt ribbons just to help out the other side, verbally warn people for going under the map, etc.

I even get hate mail for kicking people trying to stack the deck just to be on the side that has the air - even if that side is still losing.

It'd be hard to do your suggestion SGP... I would think... simply because if kick is disabled in the first place, it would be hard to know who's impartial and who isn't - because they've not had an opportunity to prove if they are or not.

I've seen it suggested that we should have PR servers, but have a rating system.  That's a cool idea too, but like eBay feedback, if you get some tool that's just mad, they can really screw things up for your rating.

I just hate to see the honest people/hosts punished for the bad deeds of the cheaters out there.  And like LKP said in the article, cheaters gonna cheat.  Its like the argument against taking away the right to bear arms - criminals won't care that its against the law... because they're criminals and will find a way to get a gun.  Likewise, someone with a disposition toward cheating will find a way to do so, and its the honest people that will lose out in the end.

Sorry to go off on a tangent about PR Servers, I know this was more about MM, but I'm a fierce defender of them and the right to ban a-holes immediately and without question, a committee, or second opinion.  A Host should continue to remain judge, jury, and executioner in their own server. 

As for those who abuse the right to kick or pad in their own servers?  As a complete n 00 b, with no guidance from clan or anyone else, it didn't take but a few times to learn which servers were worth playing in, and which ones to steer clear of.  If new players can't suss this out on their own, they're in a world of hurt.

Message 9 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Aug 19, 2011

Good post Bate.  I agree.  It's OK to talk about PR.  That was part of the interview.

It's tough to be a good host. 

Once thing I respect but don't do is switch to help an undermanned or losing team.  Now I'll admit each server has their own culture and the players who played on my server knew I wasn't switching.  LOL  I would sit out sometimes if I thought it was bad and tell my team not to baserape but instead try to go after the flag and end it as soon as possible (after 10 min LOL).  The good thing was my server was popular enough that a team would only stay undermanned for a short period before new people would join.  They knew it was on random so that was that.  The reason I never switched or asked anybody to switch is i think it is fun bonding with your team.  I often felt like the CPU screwed me so if it happened to go in my favor, I wasn't giving that up.  LOL  But i respect the philosophy of those who do switch. 

I think SGP should host! Then he will have fun.  In the new system, anybody will be able to host up to 32.  Sony will supply the bandwith.

Message 10 of 28 (41 Views)
0 Likes