Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Re: Dagger Interviews Leukoplast on Matchmaking

Aug 19, 2011

I have given a stand down order before.   I guess I just try too hard to avoid the stigma of seeming like a base rape server.

But. After my last two or three server runs, I've about decided if I start switching, it'll just be an ongoing thing. 

Message 11 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Aug 19, 2011

Yeah...I agree bit.  Losers quit too much.  I want the guys to have fun but I don't want them to take away my fun and bonus points.  To me it is fair because I never complain at intermission that people should have switched to my side.

I always thought it was funny when new visitors would claim they loss because they were undermanned and I would say "No you were undermanned because you were losing".  It is clear the winning came first THEN people on the losing side quit.  Some people think it erases their stats.  Some don't know the server is on random.  SH needs to come up with a way to prevent quitters. Quitting wasn't a problem in COD, MAG etc.  The reason is:

1. The losing team gets a bonus too (just less)...so people want to wait around for that 

2. You lose all XP for the match if you quit early.

3. They make it clear that your stats till count (so you can't scrub poor stats by quitting)

4. They give you an "Are you sure" pop up explaining these things so people can make an informed decision.

If SH does these things, quitting and being forced to balance teams will be a thing of the past. 

I should bring this up on FB.

Sorry for going off topic a bit.

Cool Site: http://starhawkradio.com/blogs/
Message 12 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2277 posts

Aug 19, 2011

Sharp_Dagger wrote:

I have decided that since some of you guys feel it is some sort of advertising for financial gain (couldn't be further from the truth), I will only post unique interview links to this site.

Seeing as how SHR is not a commercial site, my vote is you post every article link to the forums (or every link you feel like posting). It saves me the time of going to the site. When a link comes up that interests me, I go.

Or does SHR have a subscription and it can send me an email with a link and a synopsis every time something new is posted?

Or if people are complaining, just have 1 thread on here, the SHR thread, post article links only there. People who aren't interested will ignore that thread. If people want to discuss the article ideas here, some will do it in that thread, others will make new threads of their topic.  Which, as SH gets more fan sites and blogs, a "one thread" approach may be important to keep things from getting overcrowded.

The Warhawk wiki is here
Message 13 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Aug 20, 2011

Breaking News:smileysad:on topic)

BF3 to offer browsable ranked Server Lists.  So they are the first of the upcoming console games to commit.  I hope Starhawk follows.  if SH chooses not to offer it, at least there will be one game where you will be able to form a community.

Message 14 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Aug 20, 2011

jason_ac wrote:

Sharp_Dagger wrote:

I have decided that since some of you guys feel it is some sort of advertising for financial gain (couldn't be further from the truth), I will only post unique interview links to this site.

Seeing as how SHR is not a commercial site, my vote is you post every article link to the forums (or every link you feel like posting). It saves me the time of going to the site. When a link comes up that interests me, I go.

Or does SHR have a subscription and it can send me an email with a link and a synopsis every time something new is posted?

Or if people are complaining, just have 1 thread on here, the SHR thread, post article links only there. People who aren't interested will ignore that thread. If people want to discuss the article ideas here, some will do it in that thread, others will make new threads of their topic.  Which, as SH gets more fan sites and blogs, a "one thread" approach may be important to keep things from getting overcrowded.

For Warhawk documentation & gameplay tips visit the Warhawk Wiki

Is Warhawk out of date? No, it's the HawkJunkie's training ground for Starhawk! Pwn Starhawk newbies from day 1! :smileywink:

Off topic tangent...feel free to skip:

Thanks Jason.  IDK.  I get 19 thank yous to every 1 complaint so IDK.  The complaints are not really strong complaint but more hints or something.  LOL  Thanks for your support.  My heart is definitely in the right place on the project and whenever I think to post I'm thinking "the diehards will really want to know this" or "get people discussing this important topic" or "this is something the fans will find cool".

Those ideas you suggested are good ideas.  There was an app that I was updating with every single article and somehow it got erased and I was too distraught to start over.  When I have some time I may consider it.  Right now your best bet is to browse facebook and click on the ones you like,subscribe to us on Twitter, bookmark us and check the front page or if you frequent StarhawkPS3.net, they show our RSS feed so you can catch the list of the latest Articles.  I'm sure there is a way to subscribe to RSS yourself but I would need to look into it.

In all honesty, we really don't get too much traffic from this site.  Most come from facebook, twitter, people that have us bookmarked etc.  I don't know if this site just has a low volume of true members or that most diehards will catch us first on official FB, our FB or twitter.  That's why I'm quick to comply with any complaints...LOL  It is just more work...and if the very few that it reaches don't appreciate the links, great! 

I'll do it for big interviews though...the next one should be out within a few days! 

Message 15 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Aug 21, 2011

jason_ac wrote:

Sharp_Dagger wrote:

For Warhawk documentation & gameplay tips visit the Warhawk Wiki

Is Warhawk out of date? No, it's the HawkJunkie's training ground for Starhawk! Pwn Starhawk newbies from day 1! :smileywink:

Off Topic

So Jason...a simple thing to do if you have an RSS reader is just to subscribe to our RSS feed.  They have all types of RSS converters that can send information to you email, FB, twitter, you name it.

Cheers.

Message 16 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Aug 22, 2011

Sharp_Dagger wrote:

I agree bate 100%.  When you talk to those who say host kicking is not important, often you find out that they have never hosted.  LOL  They don't realize all the things that a good host protects you from.

I have to admit this is the category I fell into, as at the time I did not have the netspeed to host matches.  But after reading the replies in this thread and at SHR, the positives of host kicking abilities sounds like it is extremely important, and the points people made towards keeping host-kick abilities I definitely agree with. 

With that said I am back, the past week I had been on vacation in Seattle, so that is why my comments here (especially relating to this SHR interview) have been absent.  But I am back and am looking forward to getting into SH again and keeping up with the latest news on the game.

BTW, great looking article Sharp!  I like the mixture of pictures in there, and I feel the whole interview went over very well.  I was reading the replies to the interview at SHR and noticed some people mention that when DJ says "unofficial" for server lists they were assuming that PR would fall into this category.  While this may be the case, the fact that LB is trying to lower the stat-padders/cheaters with MM on official ranked, probably means they wouldn't have server lists for unofficial ranked because people could just as easily stat-pad on those.   It wouldn't make any sense to adhere MM on official ranked for purposes of stat-padding prevention when people could simply move over to unofficial ranked server lists to do their stat padding.

LB makes MM out to be if the 'protection' in place for ranked games to prevent stat-padders, so it stands to reason they wouldn't have MM on official and server lists for PR, unless they were intending for PR to be some kind of really big loop-hole to the stat-padding prevention of MM on official servers.

EDIT: Oh and that is VERY interesting about BF3 having server lists for ranked games, I am utterly blown away with that announcement. Who would have known that a third-party game would actually choose server lists over matchmaking.  BF3 just jumped WAY up on my games to buy list.   I just hope there is no pay-to-play going on with BF3 (there probably is, sadly).

Message 17 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3370 posts

Aug 22, 2011

I think I would not mind if matchmaking would have some choices. Like if I could just play with my friends in my region. You can have 2 choices world wide, were everyone gets matched up or regional , were I can play with only people in my region and lock it out so only people in the region can play.

But, that is not going to happen. You have a friends list that anyone in the world can be on it and it would not be fair to them to not be able to play with their friends because it is region locked. That is why I want server list. I like the choice of playing in my region and not having to worry that someone else has the lag advantage over my team, and your friends can join in at any time there is room.

LB is not going to slow down the stat padding or even stop it. It is going to happen. As long as I can group up with my friends or join their game, there is going to be stat padding. A good example of stat padding is, when MAG was still in the last phase of their beta, they had a tournament for the most points in a week, wins. This dude had one buddy on his team and two or three buddies on the other team with low powered sniper riffles. They would shoot his buddy and he would heal him and that got him tons of points per game. The average player would do about 800 points per game. He would do 2000 to 3000 per game. If you did not know this, MAG has matchmaking only and they still stat pad.

I really do not want Starhawk to punish the good players that do not stat pad, just to try to stop the bad ones. I really, really hope the are server list in Starhawk. I do not want to see them fail too. I know I am not going to buy another game with matchmaking only. So I hope you realize it and hope you do put both in it for all game modes.

PS. I do not like EA games and BF3 does not interest me at all. I do not care that BF3 has server list or not.

Message 18 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Aug 22, 2011

Sharp_Dagger wrote:

Yeah...I agree bit.  Losers quit too much.  I want the guys to have fun but I don't want them to take away my fun and bonus points.  To me it is fair because I never complain at intermission that people should have switched to my side.

I always thought it was funny when new visitors would claim they loss because they were undermanned and I would say "No you were undermanned because you were losing".  It is clear the winning came first THEN people on the losing side quit.  Some people think it erases their stats.  Some don't know the server is on random.  SH needs to come up with a way to prevent quitters. Quitting wasn't a problem in COD, MAG etc.  The reason is:

1. The losing team gets a bonus too (just less)...so people want to wait around for that 

2. You lose all XP for the match if you quit early.

3. They make it clear that your stats till count (so you can't scrub poor stats by quitting)

4. They give you an "Are you sure" pop up explaining these things so people can make an informed decision.

If SH does these things, quitting and being forced to balance teams will be a thing of the past. 

I should bring this up on FB.

Sorry for going off topic a bit.

Very good points.  I haven't ran ranked the past few days - inevitably my husband wants to play too when I settle in to set up a server, so I have to go Unranked - but I have been reevaluating my stand on switching.  Will probably still switch in unranked, but no longer in ranked. 

And on my own tangent (feel free to skip), something I've started noticing when the other team is getting beaten badly, but they have equal numbers, or only down by one or two, is that they all usually have a lot of mid-high to high rank players, which would suggest a fair amount of experience, and thus they should be able to hold their own.

I have my own thoughts about that and the causes of the other team just not seeming to be able to get it together, but ultimately, I'm starting to get to the Too Bad, So Sad stage when it comes to sympathy in ranked servers.

Now back to your regular programming.

Message 19 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Aug 22, 2011

MYSTAIN wrote:

LB is not going to slow down the stat padding or even stop it. It is going to happen. As long as I can group up with my friends or join their game, there is going to be stat padding. A good example of stat padding is, when MAG was still in the last phase of their beta, they had a tournament for the most points in a week, wins. This dude had one buddy on his team and two or three buddies on the other team with low powered sniper riffles. They would shoot his buddy and he would heal him and that got him tons of points per game. The average player would do about 800 points per game. He would do 2000 to 3000 per game. If you did not know this, MAG has matchmaking only and they still stat pad.

Exactly, plus since SH will have perks/skills and real advantageous stuff for ranking up and getting points, people are going to be stat padding like there is no tomorrow.  People did it in WH and it was only for rank/points, just imagine how eager they are going to be to pad when they actually get something useful out of it.

As I mentioned in the interview, the best solution is to have a grief reporting system that actually works and active moderation who are on top of those reports.

Message 20 of 28 (20 Views)
0 Likes