Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 20 2012
By: Samokoske Fender Bender 3293 posts

Gaming mechanics in Starhawk: A look at mechanics in games and their place in SH.

28 replies 435 views Edited Dec 20, 2012
I usually write these topical threads in inspiration from another conversation. Most recently I had a discussion with Buttered_Scones about a game mechanic I find I love about games, and this even found that others had some opinions on their views of mechanic vs. gimmick, and what makes SH 'flawed.'

I am from a different spectrum of this way of thinking, as if I could make money observing Videogames, I would. But in most cases no degree =/= no critic job. Maybe I should start a blog.....

ANYWAYS, sorry for going off tangent but instead of blogging about it, I'd love to discuss it with ya'll sommore.

The first order of business is addressing 'what is what is starhawk?'

A third person shooter?
A real time strategy?
A flight simulator?
A big ol' playground?

I am of the opinion, that it may be an RTS before a 3rd person shooter. I really like the idea that if I have a well coordinated group of 16 people, all of us have a vital role to play in all out in game wars. This is a fantasy of mine that one day, I have commanded a clan of 16v16 to conquer a game of TDM on narrows on the ground and in the air.

Within seconds the open virgin landscapes will be littered with our tools and weapons of massive destruction to absolutely decimate enemy tanks and hawks and sabotage bases, and hopefully, another evenly matched team of 16 may make the challenge so intense, that we may need more training to get the upper hand.

I admit that I haven't bothered to study maps or battlefields because I don't have that team to lead, but the idea is a cool one. 3 hawks in the air calling hawk formations and changing it up because freaky is that good, would be incredibly awesome.

Tactics like that are a pure expression from skill though, and that is the second meta I love about the discovery and depth to Starhawk. When I learn how to play Esper Control in Magic the Gathering, I will need to prepare for every possible situation. Especially for even match or underdog matches.

The first meta, most recently mentioned in that convo with Scones is the thought of 'counter play.' The broader subject is also 'perfect imbalance,' but the way the theory goes is that for every tactic, or skill, or building structure there is an opposite counter tactic, or counter skill. Even the ones that seem really horrible at first may have a place in the way this is structured.

With the right combinations, horrible skills could be your lock and key. And the way how this game could really use a team of people to kick **bleep**, the revenge skill may have a personal place in your arsenal. Lol, at least it's good to kill mrdurant!

Perfect Imbalance in all games give people the opportunity to learn the game and feel empowered. 'Noobification' and the introduction of auto turrets and beam turrets to a game 'like warhawk' (sue me) is a great way for a noob to get to thinking they may have an actual shot at winning games. Every game that has these 'imbalances' (really at one point it evens out) is a real hook for people like me.

Auto turrets have a hard counter in turret jammer. It's my reason to get the skill. But then there's the incentive to 'get good' and deal with them auto turrets. A skilled player in Magic the Gathering doesn't use a bad card because their biggest fear is an opponent's ace in the hole. Instead a better player is rewarded by finding ways around and dealing with it.

This is where I find Starhawk most rewarding. I do not fear auto turrets. I do not need turret jammer to progress through a turret field. Instead I use stealthy, and take on them turrets unimpeded, and now I am Legend!!!

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 29 (435 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1319 posts

Re: Gaming mechanics in Starhawk: A look at mechanics in games and their place in SH.

Dec 20, 2012

I read the 1st sentance and the last parigraph.....'now I am Legend" cool story bro :catvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 29 (433 Views)
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Re: Gaming mechanics in Starhawk: A look at mechanics in games and their place in SH.

Dec 20, 2012
Lol. I was going to write more about actual mechanis and how it applies to gameplay, but that seemed like a good place to end it.

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 29 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1319 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Samokoske wrote:
Lol. I was going to write more about actual mechanis and how it applies to gameplay, but that seemed like a good place to end it.

good choice, LOL I`m jk

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 29 (419 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1202 posts

Dec 21, 2012
White Zombie made a song called "I am Legend" it is bad a$s..
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 29 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1202 posts

Dec 21, 2012
P.S. sorry I didn't read the whole OP.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 29 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Dec 21, 2012
Now trending. lol. its ok.

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 29 (398 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
865 posts

Dec 21, 2012
Agree, I wish was actually a little more rts, but I've specified that in a previous thread. The idea of having a well trained, tactical, bnb killing machine team sounds great--but yeah, we're somewhere in the middle.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 29 (389 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Dec 21, 2012
One thing I noticed that was recently pointed out to me, cronos, is that walls were given a "space barrier" so that you were more limited in the places to build. It is interesting, how my opinions skew both ways. I would have liked it with no barriers as to give more freedom of placement, but then there'd have to be a higher build limit and more variety in the BnB wheel to compensate for the rampant opoortunities.

On the other hand, both limits promote economy. The horrible estate of pubs will obliviously build willy nilly, and I'll be alright with that, because they are pubs. How're they going to learn the basic tactics otherwise?

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 29 (369 Views)
Gaming Beast
1991 posts

Dec 21, 2012
I read pubs as pubes.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 29 (357 Views)