Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 24 2013
By: HeadMonk First Son 6 posts

Ground Control

4 replies 331 views Edited Jan 24, 2013

Hi. Just registered on this forum. So just thought I'd say hello to everyone. Although I have been casually viewing threads for months. I'm based in the UK but more than often play in the early hours against USA players (who do seem to be more fun to play against - no offence UK players!). Been playing Starhawk since the summer. Absolutly love it. Clocked up 400+ hours play. I guess over time I have settled on prefering ground based CTF warfare. I just find you can generally get more balanced play without a bunch of hawks spinning and torpedoing at will.

Have managed to get over 2300 flag caps. And was recently invited to the Global Threat (GT*) Clan. Some great players in that clan. My personal focus is 1) capture the flag 2) kill enemy flag carriers in the middle of the map and 3) destroy enemy outposts in my home base. And 4) never give up trying!

I guess one big problem is when you are playing groundpoubder CTF (with or against) players who are just there for KDR. With no interest in the capturing of the flag. They will often sit in tanks (on top of flags if need be). They could be 4-0 down but don't change tactics. I guess this leads to base raping - which has to be the worst thing about Starhawk. A simple new rule of only one outpost in the enemy base at any one time would solve that issue. Find it strange this was never introduced. I lay an outpust (we all have done) but more for distraction than anything else. And sometimes if playing with a bunch of noobs it is the only help I get in capturing a flag.

Its been great since Christmas on the online servers (since new people got hold of the game). Nice to see a mix of experienced and new players. If anyone wants to add me or invite me to games then my username is HeadMonk. I'm online often and like a good challenge.

Message 1 of 5 (331 Views)
Survivor
2787 posts

Re: Ground Control

Jan 24, 2013

Welcome, Headmonk, to the Playstation Community Forums! Hope you enjoy your stay. Also, feel free to check out the EU forums, as well.

I love the mix of new players as well! I'll send you a friend request on PSN.

Message 2 of 5 (321 Views)
PlayStation MVP
49220 posts

Jan 24, 2013

HeadMonk wrote:

Hi. Just registered on this forum. So just thought I'd say hello to everyone. Although I have been casually viewing threads for months. I'm based in the UK but more than often play in the early hours against USA players (who do seem to be more fun to play against - no offence UK players!). Been playing Starhawk since the summer. Absolutly love it. Clocked up 400+ hours play. I guess over time I have settled on prefering ground based CTF warfare. I just find you can generally get more balanced play without a bunch of hawks spinning and torpedoing at will.

Have managed to get over 2300 flag caps. And was recently invited to the Global Threat (GT*) Clan. Some great players in that clan. My personal focus is 1) capture the flag 2) kill enemy flag carriers in the middle of the map and 3) destroy enemy outposts in my home base. And 4) never give up trying!

I guess one big problem is when you are playing groundpoubder CTF (with or against) players who are just there for KDR. With no interest in the capturing of the flag. They will often sit in tanks (on top of flags if need be). They could be 4-0 down but don't change tactics. I guess this leads to base raping - which has to be the worst thing about Starhawk. A simple new rule of only one outpost in the enemy base at any one time would solve that issue. Find it strange this was never introduced. I lay an outpust (we all have done) but more for distraction than anything else. And sometimes if playing with a bunch of noobs it is the only help I get in capturing a flag.

Its been great since Christmas on the online servers (since new people got hold of the game). Nice to see a mix of experienced and new players. If anyone wants to add me or invite me to games then my username is HeadMonk. I'm online often and like a good challenge.

Welcome to the Starhawk forums man!  

What you said in your post about tanks is why I usually pick lightweight over groundpounder for CTF, it just works better with the pod launchers and sidewinders and all that.

I too love the new players coming in since christmas.  

If you are ever up @ 2-3 am and gaming on a wednesday night (well it would be thursday morning for you in the UK) hop on in the server called PSForums and you might find a few of us still playing in there from earlier in our night. 

Message 3 of 5 (306 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Cheers for that. Yes I am often online 2-3am. And beyond. I do like Lightweight a lot but done right Groundpounder can be more exciting from my experience, rather than just make it a grizzly affair across the map. Cos the same issue with tanks in groundpounder, can occur with grizzly's in Lightweight. But I take your point.

How many different maps/loadouts do you have in the PSFORUMS server. Just 3-4 on rotation - or more? That starts at 9pm ET right? I'll certainly try to make it next week.

Message 4 of 5 (290 Views)
PlayStation MVP
49220 posts

Jan 24, 2013

HeadMonk wrote:

Cheers for that. Yes I am often online 2-3am. And beyond. I do like Lightweight a lot but done right Groundpounder can be more exciting from my experience, rather than just make it a grizzly affair across the map. Cos the same issue with tanks in groundpounder, can occur with grizzly's in Lightweight. But I take your point.

How many different maps/loadouts do you have in the PSFORUMS server. Just 3-4 on rotation - or more? That starts at 9pm ET right? I'll certainly try to make it next week.

True the grizzlies do get annoying in lightweight!

The server usually has the maximum amount of maps/modes/loadouts!  At the minimum its 10 different ones.   And yeah 9pm eastern....i'll put you on the signup sheet in case you make it....we do a "weekly challenge" and if you complete the challenge (i'm leaning toward most XP on your team for a specific round for next week, giving out one reward to the top player on each team) you can pick a special color forum name and get to have it for about a month.  See Phoenixarcher128, makuta1213, shawn_Z, and now RandmJOSH for examples! :smileyhappy:    

(A few others like arron_rift and gremlinklown also have special color names from other sony rewards contests on the forums)

Message 5 of 5 (274 Views)
0 Likes