May 16 2013
By: EarthLunacy Hekseville Citizen 310 posts

Hawks among other...Stuff.

14 replies 512 views Edited May 16, 2013

Hectic game last night (Wednesday 5/16/2013) and every other Weekly challenge. Good game for all who enjoyed it. Good, good.

BUT, I have an itsy bitsy little teenie whiny problem>>>>>> HAWKS!

Sure, I love using the Hawks...AGAINST A.I. Cause against you guys, it's just get tiring getting targeted and killed so easily. It gets to the point where it's not even fun or funny anymore. Seriously: I can lock on target a thousand times with the normal missile and the homing missiles and it's like I didn't do anything, you dodge or evade it as if it were going 1mph, but I soon as I get locked in, rain of missiles seek my heat. I'm not saying I can't dodge cause I've saved my behind many times, but yet it feels like nothing at all. I can even see when one of you or another person apart from the forum, REALLY targets me cause of the mini map. He locks in, I dodge, and I see him/her spinning 360 in less than a sec and right behind me again. OVER and OVER till I'm dead. Even on none Dog Figths. And I can say I'm not the only one, cause even my friend (RagingThunder87) and me were discussing last nights game and he said exactly the same! We were both shocked on how the freaking hell we couldn't do anything against another hawk. I even play in Adavance Mode.

I know you guys have been playing since the beta and of course you have time and skills way ahead of me/us but it gets to the point where it really seems impossible to actually fight back and frustrating all together. I know bus-driver offered me a hawk training and I think I'll have to schedule one cause it's just too much. Warhawk wasn't like this.

I respect you guys for actually having super abnormal skills but against a noob in Starhawk like me, well, you should understand the feeling when you start playing a new game with a bunch of pros. I'm thinking about making my own matches noob friendly cause that way it'll balance things out. To actually have a fair match and F.U.N. which is the idea of this all.

Among other stuff, well, if it weren't cause I got the spawn with grinder skill before the deathmatch I wouldn't have made it to the top 10. Seriously, those skills are over powered. =\  And there was this little sniper in the assault who was just getting into my Rage Mode and my friend all together. Impossible shots done with ease. If you're out there, I have my eyes and third eye on you. O_O

A pic of what I'm doing against hawks and a music video on how I feel. Cool.

RUN!

Message 1 of 15 (512 Views)
Wastelander
590 posts

Re: Hawks among other...Stuff.

[ Edited ]
May 16, 2013

You pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to air combat: once a pilot figures out how to properly srub lock-ons and do it consistently, it's nearly pointless to try and shoot them down unless you have flak (and if he uses the shield or the cloak you shouldn't even bother). You might have a chance of hitting them if they are flying in a straight line, and you shoot your hommer a little in front of them so that they will fly straight into it just as it activates, but even then it's not that reliable. It's the reason I never go after the ball carrier in GK when good pilots have it and pretty much play it like a DF TDM (which should have been in the game anyways).

The most fun I've had playing A2A was when I was of a more intermediate level against other players of intermediate level. At that point, a homer lock-ons was something that was I had to work really hard to scrub and even then I was not sure I would do it successfully. Now, unless there is lag or I am caught off guard flying straight while trying to get a lock on, it rarely hits.

A funny story about A2A: I watched the livestream for the MLG tournament finals and Dylan Jobe was is the chat. One TDM match was in the Narrows (or the other echo map), and almost everyone went up into a Hawk at the beginning of the match. About close to 10 minutes later of A2A, there was less then 10 kills total for both teams. At that point Dylan commented in that chat that he was surprised that there were so little kills after that much time. However, most of the other players commenting weren't for the exact same reason: the lack of efficient A2A weapons.

My guess is that in wanting to make flight easier and less brutal for noobs, they made experienced pilots almost immortal.

Message 2 of 15 (501 Views)
Survivor
2508 posts

[ Edited ]
May 16, 2013

EarthLunacy wrote:

Hectic game last night (Wednesday 5/16/2013) and every other Weekly challenge. Good game for all who enjoyed it. Good, good.

BUT, I have an itsy bitsy little teenie whiny problem>>>>>> HAWKS!

Sure, I love using the Hawks...AGAINST A.I. Cause against you guys, it's just get tiring getting targeted and killed so easily. It gets to the point where it's not even fun or funny anymore. Seriously: I can lock on target a thousand times with the normal missile and the homing missiles and it's like I didn't do anything, you dodge or evade it as if it were going 1mph, but I soon as I get locked in, rain of missiles seek my heat. I'm not saying I can't dodge cause I've saved my behind many times, but yet it feels like nothing at all. I can even see when one of you or another person apart from the forum, REALLY targets me cause of the mini map. He locks in, I dodge, and I see him/her spinning 360 in less than a sec and right behind me again. OVER and OVER till I'm dead. Even on none Dog Figths. And I can say I'm not the only one, cause even my friend (RagingThunder87) and me were discussing last nights game and he said exactly the same! We were both shocked on how the freaking hell we couldn't do anything against another hawk. I even play in Adavance Mode.

I know you guys have been playing since the beta and of course you have time and skills way ahead of me/us but it gets to the point where it really seems impossible to actually fight back and frustrating all together. I know bus-driver offered me a hawk training and I think I'll have to schedule one cause it's just too much. Warhawk wasn't like this.

I respect you guys for actually having super abnormal skills but against a noob in Starhawk like me, well, you should understand the feeling when you start playing a new game with a bunch of pros. I'm thinking about making my own matches noob friendly cause that way it'll balance things out. To actually have a fair match and F.U.N. which is the idea of this all.

Among other stuff, well, if it weren't cause I got the spawn with grinder skill before the deathmatch I wouldn't have made it to the top 10. Seriously, those skills are over powered. =\  And there was this little sniper in the assault who was just getting into my Rage Mode and my friend all together. Impossible shots done with ease. If you're out there, I have my eyes and third eye on you. O_O

That would have been me. :smileyhappy: I always have fun sniping when there isn't a tank avalible. I had to leave halfwaythrough though. :smileysad: You did knife me once even though I was in the air. :smileytongue:

Message 3 of 15 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1991 posts

May 16, 2013
I will help you in the hawk if you want. This weekend doesn't look good since I am taking the family to six flags over Georgia but send me a FR and we will work it out.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 15 (490 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1043 posts

May 16, 2013

It was the same for me Earth, and I think for most people who start out. I would stay far, far away from hawks for the longest time until I just sucked it up and practiced. It def takes time.

Bus can help also, he helped me out and it helped a lot.

Message 5 of 15 (482 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
50183 posts

May 16, 2013

Earth that was kinda my bad last night.  I let some of the more elite players who did not sign up for the event stay in the server.  Its just hard for those guys to find a server where the host doesn't repeatedly kick them out and I feel bad for them and like to be able to give them a place to enjoy SH without hosts booting them out for being really good.

Maybe if they read this (you know who you are guys) they can try going a little less "tryhard" against the people in a community night server that is supposed to be fun for everyone and not just for padding your A2G kdr :smileywink:.  Or, if not, we could always password up the server again and make it unranked and remove those who find their way in without signing up.   However, I don't really feel doing so is good for the game or the community event overall, its more negative for it.  That being said it is not more negative to the event as is people from clans or groups of friends switching teams to stack it up and make it unfair for the other team. 

I'm here for any feedback on that.

Message 6 of 15 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2548 posts

May 16, 2013

Orpheus_Fool wrote:

A funny story about A2A: I watched the livestream for the MLG tournament finals and Dylan Jobe was is the chat. One TDM match was in the Narrows (or the other echo map), and almost everyone went up into a Hawk at the beginning of the match. About close to 10 minutes later of A2A, there was less then 10 kills total for both teams. At that point Dylan commented in that chat that he was surprised that there were so little kills after that much time. However, most of the other players commenting weren't for the exact same reason: the lack of efficient A2A weapons.

I've played games where it will take + 15 minutes to get an A2A kil the people are so insane. I managed to keep up for a bit  :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 15 (471 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
928 posts

May 16, 2013

ya the a2a combat sucks overall. I really don't like playing in the air unless its for cbs or gatekeeper servers as everyone rides the shield and runs away when being attacked 

Also i know what you mean there is a way to lock on homers while dodging at the same time in caf. I can even side lock people way below me while dodging at the same time. 

I recommend you switch to caf if you really are having a tough time with AF. if you and bus do a practice server maybe i'll stop by and give some tips.

Message 8 of 15 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

May 17, 2013
Well, thanks guys. I'm not giving up though. Just taking my little hiatus for a little while. Another one of my people ordered the game so I'll be having more friends playing now. I already added bus-driver68 and I know we will schedule some night for training. Next time, be gentle. :3

Message 9 of 15 (431 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

May 17, 2013

Myself and Cali_Killa in a 1v1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzP78pc2uTI

Myself and Rocamber doing a homing missile duel and a bit of a 1v1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2emzNHQ1Pc

In the latter  we were just tying to kill each other with homing missiles before I started recording while the other person dodged. Maybe 1 every 25-30 landed (I fly AF, he uses CAF); meaning that yes, you will never be able to rely on missiles UNLESS you are both actively trying to kill each other. 

If you're flying AF and your screen  doesn't look like as hectic as mine, you are fresh meat easy kills as far as clan pilots are concerned, especially CON. 

Message 10 of 15 (415 Views)