Jan 22 2013
By: Darkuser999 Splicer 53 posts

If Sony and LBI waited until after Christmas....

[ Edited ]
17 replies 375 views Edited Jan 22, 2013

...would they have still gone the layoff route? Now I know even now this game is nowhere near successful, but still, it's online activity and sales now seem to match some other downloadable titles and these titles are not left hanging.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6405 posts

Re: If Sony and LBI wait until after Christmas....

Jan 22, 2013
Sony would have still laid off LBI. Sony is in big trouble, and they need MONNEEYYYYYY!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7256 posts

Re: If Sony and LBI waited until after Christmas....

Jan 22, 2013
If LBI released DLC sooner, cash would have rolled in.

Like i said, all i wanted were tanks.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (362 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6405 posts

Jan 22, 2013
The main mistake was the story mode. They could have released the dlc sooner if there was no story.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (358 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7256 posts

Jan 22, 2013
I surprisingly, am happy the story is there. If it wasnt, we could have NEWBIE NOOBS that didnt hardly know what to do.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (338 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1138 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

thesupertman wrote:
The main mistake was the story mode. They could have released the dlc sooner if there was no story.

superT, you keep saying this and I hate to be in constant disagreement with your opinion(s) lately but the story mode is not the sole or main cause for Starhawk's problems.

Not being given time to finish the game as a whole before it's release played far more a role.

Had the time been given, or had LBI met the time line given to them by Sony, to deliver the game in a more complete state, things likely would have been much different for the game. That, and a much more aggressive marketing campaign.

I argue that many of the "new" modes and units like the Grizzly could have been in the finished game had there been a longer beta.

I'm sure Sony would have liked to have sold 750,000 more $60 disc copies than just DLC to some of the 175,000+ that bought the full retail game.

Sony has some cash issues and poorly selling games (even if self-inflicted in my opinion) means they must cut their losses and for all of us here that meant LBI.

DLC should be something truly added to a game that makes it even better, not just something you didn't get the time to finish before you released it.

Had the beta been longer, I believe we would have got more maps like Cypress from the start because even during the beta the players (me included) asked for more cover to fight from. Same goes with smaller, troop focused maps.

Time was against LBI more than anything. The inclusion of a single player mode may have been a requirement BY Sony for a "spiritual successor" to Warhawk to justify a $60 price point.

I say LBI did an okay job with the single player, it's playable and works to teach "Build and Battle" to the player. It met the minimum requirement they were likely given by Sony and tried to give the Starhawk universe some background.

Did it sap resources and time away from the real reason for the game (multiplayer)? Yes, but that was the cards LBI could have been dealt. You could say the same thing about the game's co-op since creating AI for both the single player and co-op would have not been needed in a standard multiplayer only game.

Had Starhawk just been a $20 multiplayer only PSN game right from the start I believe LBI would still be with us creating new DLC for the game on a regular basis.

Sony, Santa Monica Studio and LBI instead went bigger and it didn't sell well for a host of reasons. One mode or the other can't be singled out as the only cause.

Since we may never get the full Starhawk story and the truth around the events that led to LBI being cut loose for a few years, it is anyone's guess really.

Time and tightening budgets played a bigger role in my opinion. That my best guess. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (334 Views)
Sackboy
514 posts

Re: If Sony and LBI wait until after Christmas....

Jan 23, 2013

thesupertman wrote:
Sony would have still laid off LBI. Sony is in big trouble, and they need MONNEEYYYYYY!

dude, starhawk made sony tons and tons of money! 

068 Pictures, Images and Photos
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6405 posts

Jan 23, 2013
It did?
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
747 posts

Jan 24, 2013

thesupertman wrote:
It did?

Lol'd.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6405 posts

Jan 24, 2013
I think starhawk just added more preasure to Sony's financial problem.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes