Uncharted Territory
1167 posts

Re: Is The Razorback just bad?

Jan 13, 2013

The Razorback is easily the most dangerous vehicle in the game... If you know how to use it.

Message 11 of 40 (165 Views)
Splicer
52 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 13, 2013

The razorback is in three loadouts. Ground Pounder, Classic, and Lightweight. (hope I haven't missed one lol). 

In lightweight it is completely redundant due to it being thoroughly slaughtered by grizzlies, no matter how good the driver and gunner are. 

In classic it is excellent on smaller maps for an initial rush (take out enemies standing around waiting around for a hawk pad, and then take down the hawk pad when it comes up, or cap a flag etc), but is slaughtered by hawks (flak and clusters say hello) so you need competent teammates to back you up in the later stages of the game. In a public game you are far more useful getting in the air yourself, generally. 

Ground pounder is where it shines. 

The main thing you need to realise about the razorback is that all skills (bar turret jammer), stack. Personally, I always drive the razorback because I'm the control-freaky tactician kinda guy (I have the tendency to get very frustrated when the driver goes somewhere completely uselesss, drives headlong into a tank etc), which also gives me control over skills. Gunners always, always use field mechanic. Simple. Never change. Then the driver just changes according to the situation. Point is, a razorback without field mechanic (assuming you intend to actually use the razorback, rather than use it as a getaway vehicle or whetever) is completely neutered due to it's large-ish size and low health. 

So, being the driver, I usually use low profile. The razorback is now immune to mines, giving an unbelievable amount of free kills when sidewinder noobs try to proxy you, or you stroll (well, roll) into an enemy encampment and watch their mines sit there fruitlessly while you kill everyone. Nice. 

My secondary skill is engine mods, which I use when the enemy is very tank heavy, seem uninterested in proxy-sidewindering you, or it is on a large map (engine modded razorback outruns a sidewinder trying to proxy you). With engine mods the razorback is a major pain in the arse to tanks. 

On that note, don't be afraid of tanks, but do be smart. You win a long-range contest probably 70% of the time due to the finicky nature of the tank's default rounds (if they're using mortars/artillery it's a free kill to you, no chance in hell will they hit you if you're drifting and weaving properly). A tank has to hit you twice, square on, in the same round, before you duck into cover and repair. Not so easy. In the mean time you pepper him with turret rounds and prevent his field mechanic kicking in. It takes around one overheat of the turret to kill a tank (ie fire just to the point of overheating, cool, then fire maybe 5-6 more rounds). 

I have 2 friends on PSN who do this exclusively with me as the driver... super fun and we rarely die so long as the game is fairly young (beam turret farms pose a real problem for the razorback, but you can deal with a casual few by hopping out with the grinder).

Did I mention that ground troops get utterly raped by it? While I'm roadkilling the chaps on the ground my gunner shoots down the people that spawn on high ground. If you get hit by a MAW or grenade just drive away, heal, and come back for MAW (see what I did there?). 

Did I also mention that it's basically free and you can get it at the start of the round and nobody bothers destroying the dispensers unlike the tank?

Did I also mention that you have to fairly retarded to get drop killed using it (unlike the tank), and that you don't get insta-killed by one dude with a MAW (unlike the sidewinder)?!

Message 12 of 40 (163 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6552 posts

Jan 13, 2013
There was this one time I was in the RB on one of thr cypress maps. some noob made a outpost outside my teams base. I ran him over. Then he respawned. So I ran him over again. I had the repair tool with me, so I would get out and repair it. Then I would get back in the RB and run him over some more. he didn't give up, and kept respawning.

I got 20 kills out of him.
Message 13 of 40 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1167 posts

Jan 13, 2013

thesupertman wrote:
There was this one time I was in the RB on one of thr cypress maps. some noob made a outpost outside my teams base. I ran him over. Then he respawned. So I ran him over again. I had the repair tool with me, so I would get out and repair it. Then I would get back in the RB and run him over some more. he didn't give up, and kept respawning.

I got 20 kills out of him.

Talk about daft. No offense to the player.

Message 14 of 40 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
536 posts

Jan 14, 2013

thesupertman wrote:
@dark

I'm shocked that your least favorite vehicle is the grizzly!

I am terrible in combat with a grizzly, i call it the deathtrap. I can't seem to hit anything with the gun. I use it to get around and to rush into a flag capture situation, but I def avoid using it for offense.

Even being my least fav I still like it. It looks cool and it can move around the battlefield pretty good

Message 15 of 40 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
536 posts

Jan 14, 2013

Triazic wrote:. If you get hit by a MAW or grenade just drive away, heal, and come back for MAW (see what I did there?). 

I see what you did there.

BTW, thanks for the great RB info

Message 16 of 40 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6552 posts

Jan 14, 2013
I think a lot of people fail to realize how powerful the grizzly is, especially when you have good teammates.

The grizzly is amazing in ctf. One time I was in a match where the enemy base had spammed turrets and beam turrets all over the place. They were winning. I ran into their base and used the grizzly's shock ability(or watever it's called). I turned off the shield and a few turrets. I died, but my teammates rushed in with tanks and destroyed the enemy base and took the flag.
Message 17 of 40 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
536 posts

Jan 14, 2013

I really enjoy jumping stuff in the RB. The other night I got one to do a "cart-wheel"coming off a cliff jump and it didn't even miss a beat, it just kept trucking. I love these 4x4's, I actually need down time between playing starhawk and getting into my Subaru.

As far as fun factor goes the RB is tops

Message 18 of 40 (112 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1202 posts

Jan 14, 2013
I usually use the RB only when I'm bored and our team is completely slaughtering the opposition, turret jammer with a wrench is my favorite combo, there is nothing quite like blaring the horn as you splatter the enemy all over the winshield, just watch gremlins "starhawk bowling" video, that's just too fun
Message 19 of 40 (98 Views)
PlayStation MVP
49846 posts

Jan 14, 2013

firemarshall23 wrote:

Since launch I've been trying to have the Razorback be my main ground vehicle. But as time has gone on, people don't want to climb in and be gunner or passenger. The turret dosen't seem to do that much damage, it can't turn up far enough to be a threat to Hawks, and it gets blown up with only one prox mine. Am I just using it wrong, or is the Razorback just not on par with other vehicles? :smileyindifferent:

It works well if you can stack skills in it, a field mechanic helps when combined with engine mods :smileytongue:

Message 20 of 40 (87 Views)
0 Likes