Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Re: Matchmaking for official servers. Big mistake!

Jun 11, 2011

bucket415 wrote:

Choosing your own game from a server list is very necessary for Warhawk & Starhawk.  Like it was said above, without hundreds of thousands of users on at all times, it won't work.  We'll be stuck in foreign servers all the time.  Hell, I can't avoid lag on CoD and they have the most players playing of any game. 

The ability to see the server type, server name and your ping to the server was huge.  I also firmly believe that it was key to creating the community we have.  We played in the same servers and eventually everyone got to know everyone (for the most part).  With match making it won't be the same.  The only time matchmaking should be involved in Starhawk is for large parties, so that they can be paired with other large parties, to avoid whole clans vs all randoms.

Also, if I see a friend or 2 or 10 playing in CTF Lg2 (for example), I can see the server on the list and join them.  With matchmaking, I won't be able to do that.  I'll have to get everyone to quit / backout and create a party.  Very inconvenient.  It will also create a lot of lopsided games as parties will back out mid-game to pick up other friends, leaving one team short players.

Photobucket

Well said Bucket, lets just hope LBI understands the importance of server lists VS inferior matchmaking. 

In LBI's dev diary's they claim to be a developer that "isn't a factory game studio, but rather a studio made of gamers", but if they implement matchmaking they will become the factory game studio that is all too common nowadays *cough* COD/Activision *cough*.  And they will have officially lost touch with the real gamers.

Is this what you really want Lightbox?  To be a soulless/faceless developer who is just trying to fit in with the most common shooter games of this generation?

If you care at all about your fanbase Lightbox, you will scrap this matchmaking junk and give us what we had In Warhawk, SERVER LISTS!!   Choosing matchmaking just proves you are a conformist developer who has lost touch with their fans and is a developer who is comprised of gamers who have become blinded.

Message 21 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Jun 13, 2011

They are probably going this route because of all the stat padders in the past that made Player Ranked Servers and tossed flags all day. Im not a fan of this because I love UCRR which is what made Warhawk into the great community that we have today. I think they need to find a better way to moniter and prevent people from cheating rather than taking the easy way out with only Ranked Official Servers. Plus the matchmaking will be like any other game LightBox needs to stay original and build off of what made Warhawk great.

Message 22 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2277 posts

Jun 14, 2011

Matchmaking sucks. Server lists are the way to go for finding the game you want, the people you want, or getting to know a new crew of people.

As for user-created ranked-rooms...what about splitting-out the score on the leaderboard, with various ways to sort it? You could see standings by total score, by score earned only in official servers, and by score earned only in user-created servers. A cheating host could be #1 by some standings, but you could still see who were guaranteed good players. And really, who cares about score anyway? You can still enjoy the game, be good, and have respect, even if some cheating dirtbag is above you on the leaderboards.

The Warhawk wiki is here
Message 23 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Jul 27, 2011

We need to keep this thread alive, matchmaking (along with the newly announced skill/perk system) will ruin Starhawk, we need to speak up in hopes that the devs haven't completely lost it yet.

Message 24 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2277 posts

Jul 28, 2011

Well, they did say there would be Official ranked server lists too, so adding MM I don't think will ruin SH.

All they need to do then is add back in PR server lists, to keep the community orientation WH had.

And, if people really care about "pure" leaderboards, perhaps your standing on the leaderboards is only counted based on your points in Official servers. You can have 3,000,000 PR points, be rated at skill 100, and have every horrible perk there is...but if you never played in Officials, your leaderboard rank would be 0.

The Warhawk wiki is here
Message 25 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Jul 28, 2011

leukoplast wrote:

We need to keep this thread alive, matchmaking (along with the newly announced skill/perk system) will ruin Starhawk, we need to speak up in hopes that the devs haven't completely lost it yet.

Totally agree with you.  I want no part of the CoD series and games like it, and what makes WH great is the level playing field - everyone gets the same load out, everyone has access to the same weapons.  What makes a player great, or not, ultimately, is their own skill or lack thereof.

As for the MM - as I've said before, if its OPTIONAL to use to get into official servers, that's fine.  But if I am left with no choice as to who I play with in the officials, or I'm forced to wait 20 minutes in a lobby while a spot opens for my 'skill and rank' I'm just not interested.

Message 26 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Starhawk Community Manager
284 posts

Jul 28, 2011

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know that all of your concerns have been brought to Lightbox's attention, and the developers are working very hard to give you guys a balanced Starhawk experience that will best serve all players and be really awesome. We keep track of threads like this whenever we work on fleshing out the multiplayer design.

Thanks for your suggestions! Please keep conversations like this coming because we are listening. 

Message 27 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
560 posts

Jul 28, 2011

I thought we will have both server lists and Matchmaking? having both would actually be pretty good. but the Perk system? really cmon that would take the fun away from the game

photo Stpaddyssignature_zps53e145b9.png
Message 28 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1012 posts

Jul 28, 2011

HawkStarJay wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions! Please keep conversations like this coming because we are listening. 

I hate the idea of perks in Starhawk.  One of the things that makes Warhawk a great multi player game is

the level playing field. It's hard enough for new players w/out adding advantages to seasoned players.

Message 29 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2277 posts

Jul 28, 2011

wrappy wrote:

It's hard enough for new players w/out adding advantages to seasoned players.

In theory, Starhawk's "SkillScores" should "ensure" that whether Official server list, or MM, the unskilled won't be facing the skilled (unless by choice). I still dislike perks because whether I win or lose, I want to know it was due to skill (that I may need to develop), rather than because the other guy may have chosen different perks than me.

The Warhawk wiki is here
Message 30 of 50 (22 Views)
0 Likes