Nov 16 2012
By: Phillyblunz Treasure Hunter 7992 posts

Modern WallFare

[ Edited ]
112 replies 706 views Edited Apr 12, 2013

Ok time to get the knowledge out to the people, I am Prometheus, take my fire.

In this game of high explosives and ultra fast vehicles of death a simple structure such as a wall may seem to have quite limited uses, to the point of almost being completely useless.

Lets get the bad out of the way:

-Walls are stationary, if you need more cover you would just need more walls = PITA.

-Walls dont have much for HP, a few tank shells or 2 seconds of Grinder fire and they are down.

-Walls can keep friendlies out too, and if you make a gate not only does it have half as much HP it can also be unintentionally triggered to open by team mates unaware of your intentions.

-Walls do not keep out most of the games vehicles, at least for long.

So why would anyone waste their time with a wall?

Well it starts with the good:

-Walls are super cheap.

-You can usually build them faster then anyone one can destroy them.(Except clusters and Torps)

-Once on top of a wall you are immune to being run over by most vehicles. (Even protected from Hawk stomps if they land on top of the wall with you and stomp right on your head, as I found out last night!  This makes no sense but it is what happened)

-Once on top you have the advantage of fighting from the high ground, this means more headshots and harder for enemies to find cover.

-Walls are unidirectional.  They allow troop traffic in only one direction and this is where much of the tactics of their use comes into play.

-Once on the wall simply ducking will provide highly effective cover from most ground based attacks.

-The wall can be a lonely troops best friend in any number of situations.  The survival rate of a lone troop in an enemy zone easily doubles when they place a single wall in a strategic location, especially when outnumbered.

-A single wall can render an entire array of auto-turrets completely useless for the purposes of taking an enemy defended location.  Especially in zones where simply taking the area will destroy all enemy structures.

When confronted by an enemy hawk, walls can help in several ways:

-For one the hawk will be wary to stomp until the wall has landed as they do not wish to get caught beneath it.

-Sometimes they get careless and do get caught under it and explode.

-As the hawk tries to go for the default stomp you can circle the wall and anticipate their location with gun fire and grenades.

-As mentioned above once on the wall it seems you become immune to direct stomps on the noggin.

-Once on the wall you have an eye to eye elevation with the driver of the hawk, allowing you to more easily pick him off.

-Simply moving to the opposite side of a wall and not firing your weapon will make you dissapear from the hawk vision, allowing you several addittional options many times.  Such as flanking them while they still think you are behind the wall, or luring them around the corner where you have 3 grenades waiting for them, etc.

-While taking a location its wise to build a wall or two as close as possible to yourself to at least partially protect you from dive bombing cluster bombs or flack.  This also leaves limited locations the hawks can land at so you can more easily be ready for them when you hear that all too familiar transforming sound.

-In a base rape several walls scattered randomly around  fairly close together allow you to more easily traverse open areas and escape the view of many potential spawn killers.

-A hawk will see your walls and be provided a false sense of security, they intend to land and stomp, stomp, stomp then fly away leaving a trail of corpses in their wake.  This is your chance for a surprise attack with well located mines on the inside portion of the walls.  Even if only a single mines goes off half your work is done a grenade and some KR fire should finish the job quickly.

When confornted by a tank we have several of the options listed above for hawks, but also a few new chances to turn the tables:

-Tankers live to destroy, some can not help but fire at any and all enemy structures they see.  This is their weakness.

Confront a tanker, then while taking a bit of cover build a wall which would seem to reinforce your current defensive positioning.  They will think "Bah, a wall I will make short work of, then you will have no where to hide"  Meanwhile you have already moved around to the side or back of the tank and can assault with any available weapons on hand, preferably Grinder, MAW(Combined with grenades), or Mines.

-A similar tactic I been using against tankers is to attack them head on using walls to progressively get closer and c loser.

Build a wall, run up to it, build another wall closer to the tank, all the while they are furiously pumping round after round into the second last wall you built.  Eventually you will make it to grenade range from the tank and the battle has turned in your favor.  This is usually when they retreat or you destroy them.  At very least its an effective way to prevent/slow them entering your base.

Capture the Flag, walls and you:

-Normally a troop has several options for getting over a wall easily.  These options are severely reduced once that troop has got a hold of the flag. They can still climb ladders but can not fly, this is the reason the backwards wall was invented.

The idea here is to place all your walls anywhere on the map with the intention of allowing ladder access to your base, but never extending the same courtesy for exiting the base.  This seems counter intuitive to most at first as anyone can freely get to your flag, but once you have caught a few enemies sporting the green halo you have a new appreiciation.

-When encasing your flag with backwards walls you want to pay attention to the details.  Such as:

-Can someone access an elevated area within the wall trap and easily jump out?  

-Did ya leave too much free space in the wall trap so the enemy can build a grizzly/auto-turet and jump out?                        

-Will your our team members be able to leave the trap once they have scored?  How?

The first answer many have for friendly access to wall traps is a gate, this is the wrong answer almost every time.

As stated above gates are much easier to destroy then walls and a team mate will many times allow the enemy to escape by opening the gate unintentionally.

A better answer in my opinion is simply to use up any free space within the wall trap by placing a JP dispenser.  any team mate who scores will have enough rift, and any team mate trapped will aquire enough rift soon enough for this.

When JP is not in the loadout you can build some auto-turrets within the wall trap right near the walls and jump on them to get over.  The problem here is enemies with turret jammer on may also escape this way.

If you notice a team mate trapped, build a gate, once he is out reclaim it and put the wall back.  This is a good solution though requires a constant baby sitter of the flag, though a baby sitter would be the best strategy for taking out any flag runners your trap has caught anyway, they can repair or replace damaged walls to keep busy when the action subsides.

Finally Zones/Assault:

-You can place a wall much closer to the capture portion of a zone then say an enemy could place their bunker, by knowing this it is easy to counter act the effectiveness of a bunker placed right in front of a zone.  Simply place a wall between the capture point and the zone and now the enemy has to come to you, while you wait the zone degrades.  If you have a couple mines you can set a trap on either side of the wall and that should take care of the first one or two enemies who try to stop you.(Place the mines out of enemy approach line of sight to be most effectiive) Before you know it the zone is severely reduced or even captured for your team, possibly allowing some other friendly zone to increase in size and lock this area to a minimal possible enemy zone even if you die.

Besides that I would just say remember to respect your teams build limit, if you build a wall for a situation, and that situation passes reclaim the wall and allow your team mates the same opportunity to survive.  Nothing worse then grabbing an enemy flag and going to build a depot just in time to see the icons in the B&B wheel fade away as someone decided to use the 32nd structure on a wall which serves a purpose much less important then capping the flag.

Sorry for the wall of text, I may come back to it in a bit and try to make it easier to read.

Thanks Starhawk community for your time and careful consideration of the lowly wall, a little object with big potential.

Cheers.

P.S. Tips:

When confronted by an enemy wall which blocks your path its easy enough to grab a grinder and take it down entirely, this allows passage for you but is extremely fast and easy for the enemy to correct.

The better option much of the time is to grinder the connections between the wall segments, and leave the walls in tact.

This way the enemy must actually destroy his own walls before he can rebuild them.  This is precious time they would be using to watch and attack you.

Besides leaving the walls in place gives you cover when entering or exiting an enemy area.

When you notice your team badly base ravaging the enemy team, be a sport and build a bunch of walls in the enemy base.

This will let them move around a bit without being instantly clustered by your team.

Then make them a bunker and maybe a couple vehicle depots.(Hawk depots the best as they provide ariel cover and can not be destroyed by your team.)

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 113 (706 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4677 posts

Re: Modern WallFare

Nov 16, 2012

Phillyblunz wrote:

Ok time to get the knowlage out to the people

:robothappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 113 (704 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7992 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 16, 2012

IRRES169 wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

Ok time to get the knowlage out to the people

:robothappy:

Ha, Ha, very funny.  Nice catch but I did this in like 10 minutes while at work so have mercy.

This is usually why I reserve the first 2 posts after the OP, so my noobyness of engrish is not immediately pointed out.

GG's last night.  (OP edited for the likes of Irres....LOL.)

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 113 (698 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Nov 16, 2012

Phillyblunz wrote:

Finally Zones/Assault:

-You can place a wall much closer to the capture portion of a zone then say an enemy could place their bunker, by knowing this it is easy to counter act the effectiveness of a bunker placed right in front of a zone.  Simply place a wall between the capture point and the zone and now the enemy has to come to you, while you wait the zone degrades.  If you have a couple mines you can set a trap on either side of the wall and that should take care of the first one or two enemies who try to stop you.(Place the mines out of enemy approach line of sight to be most effectiive) Before you know it the zone is severely reduced or even captured for your team, possibly allowing some other friendly zone to increase in size and lock this area to a minimal possible enemy zone even if you die.

As a player that regularly plays assualt, a wall will NOT help if your trying to capture a base, you've got 16 enemy players all around you, if you stay still for 1 second your dead meat.

This is my signature, FEAR IT!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 113 (688 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7992 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 16, 2012

Undead-MonkeyGuy wrote:

As a player that regularly plays assualt, a wall will NOT help if your trying to capture a base, you've got 16 enemy players all around you, if you stay still for 1 second your dead meat.

Unless, you take cover in the capture zone tower(The tower the capture zone protrudes from on one side.)

Run in there and you have bought yourself enough time for a quick wall if space permits.  

There is almost always time for one, but usually on assault the area is so cluttered with turrets and what-not there is not enough room for a wall.

But point takin, and why i didnt make a specific assault portion in this thread.  In theory it should still work if room permits but in reality I cant recall any assault game where I have effectively used a wall for that purpose(expect the times where you get to the enemy area before them then its still viable but not very usefull unless they already have turrets or something set up there to provide cover from.)

Still good for helping you live longer, or providing cover while you get your screen color back for a quick sec, etc.

Hawkfan267 wrote:

dulun18 wrote:
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 113 (682 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1158 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 17, 2012

Thanks Phillyblunz for such a thought out post.

I was beginning to think this forum had lost any importance since the dust had settled over LBI's departure.

Really, this forum has turned into a sad place to visit. More like a wake lately than anything else.

You have players talking about "the old days" and saying their "goodbyes", than "not really's". Even the fight for improvements and fixes has gone out since we all know now we'll be lucky to see even another patch.

I've been busy playing NFS: Most Wanted and LBP: Karting but have got a few Starhawk games in but it's mostly late comers and some from the forums still playing.

If Sony/Santa Monica Studios is just willing to let this game die a slow death by no longer working on DLC and fixes then I see no need to visit and/or play the game much anymore. :smileysad:

Back on topic. Phillyblunz, thanks for putting in the effort to teach the new players some good tactics on use of walls. From what I'm still seeing in games lately, they need all the help they can get.

Kudos

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 113 (636 Views)
0 Likes
PistoI Proficianado
1120 posts

Nov 17, 2012

Lots of great points!

One thing I've done before is stuck Walls down one after another to reach a shielded forward base that favors Beam Turrets or Auto Turrets to much.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 113 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7272 posts

Nov 17, 2012
You should do all structures!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 113 (605 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6405 posts

Nov 17, 2012
In black ops 2, you can shoot through the walls.

I might not be back for a while.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 113 (597 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Nov 17, 2012

thesupertman wrote:
In black ops 2, you can shoot through the walls.

I might not be back for a while.

We all know in the gazillion threads you've posted in. Please..........stop posting this rubbish.

This is my signature, FEAR IT!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 113 (581 Views)