PlayStation MVP
1159 posts

Re: Modern WallFare

Nov 23, 2012

Just to clarify I wasn't trying to take anything away from Philly's original points but my first comment was in responses to Catrina_ about why the team called them a "bob the builder".

All new players of the game rely too heavily on walls (and auto turrets) "keeping the enemy out" and I was letting them know how hopeless that kind of thinking is since nothing you build is going to last long enough keep the other team from that.

Plus most loadouts AND maps don't favor any kind of "fort" for keeping the enemy out or in.

Sure if the loadout is more ground based and there is room near the flag to build a proper "mouse trap" then it can help but then you just have players that build a bunch of spawn beacons close enough to just drop in and steal the flag anyway.

I strongly suggest to anyone that will listen that forts don't win games. Having good "live" defenders and some well placed mines, not just on the flag platform, but near the exits of your home base is a much wiser strategy.

Not that the whole team needs to camp the home base. But staying watchful of the flag grabbers and making sure they don't make it far once they do grab your flag.

Because unless you're up against a team of campers and flyers that never make a run for your flag, they will take you flag, walls or not, sometime during a game.

And to repeat this yet again, there is too few building slots for fancy forts. If you are on a team with more than six walls built, you are likely on the losing team.

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 113 (210 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7997 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Just a reminder that walls can be useful.

Cheers.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 113 (191 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1159 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 2, 2012

Before this topic gets too many pages back I wanted to add one thing.

Like Philly said, "Walls can be useful".

If new players wants to see how and when to use walls I would highly recommend watching some live feeds of Starhawk's game play on UgentFury (mostly the clan battles).

Most of what I have seen in the clan battles show when and how walls should be used.

On some maps, forts work great and others the clans never really bother with walls and it is wise to know why they do this.

I guess my biggest "pooh pooh" on the heavy dependency on walls comes from seeing new players spending all their time and the teams building slots on building forts and still going 0-5 in CTF because the don't know any better.

Know your loadouts and know how, and more importantly, "when" to build walls. Watch your teams available building slots before you build anything. Leave some open for your team's flag carriers. Clean up your base when you have more than one or two of something. Reclaim your teams "in the middle of nowhere" stuff like garages that are not near an Outpost.

Watch how the successful clans are using walls, repair arms and turrets and you will help your team, not hurt them, and defend the flag and your base better.

Again, thanks Philly for trying to teach that walls can be useful.

I just want the "Bob the builder" on my team to have a proper building permit. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 113 (183 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1012 posts

Dec 1, 2012

RubiconAlpha wrote:

And to repeat this yet again, there is too few building slots for fancy forts. If you are on a team with more than six walls built, you are likely on the losing team.

this is funny, 'cause it's true :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 113 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1202 posts

Dec 1, 2012
I don't have a problem with building a wall to defend yourself but try to tear it down as soon as your done with it, walls out in the middle of nowhere on a map are a pain in the arse to your teams build limit, same goes for vehicles, build it, use it, then get rid of it if its out in Timbuktu somewhere, or if you see something abandoned and useless tear it down to help your team
Also when I protect the flag I constantly keep an eye on our build limit and keep at least 2-3 slots open for our flag runners, people just need to remember common sense xD
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 113 (154 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1020 posts

Dec 1, 2012

I use walls as a building deterrent.  On orbital, I'll use them to take up space on the floating platform on the side of the enemies spawn.  I pepper them around the enemy spawn to stop them from building.

I do the same thing on outlands, I build them on those plateaus around the enemy spawn.  If people want to camp under a bubble shield, they have to take out my walls first.

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 113 (146 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7997 posts

Dec 3, 2012

Sometimes I build walls just so the "Bob the builders" dont waste all the building slots, then if I need anything I can take down a few walls and free up some space.

This seems counter intuitive but when your team mates want to use every single slot on turrets you dont have much choice sometimes.  (Also dont build turrets so close together!!! they block each other and make some of them useless anyways!!!!!)

Then if I notice my team mate grab a flag I go destroy a wall with a turret on it so they are guaranteed a free space to build a vehicle.

In the meanwhile that wall with a turret on it is like a motion detector for me.

Theres lots of more tactics to using walls and it all depends on the current situation.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 113 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Dec 15, 2012

Wow phillyblunz this is pretty useful stuff!

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 113 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7997 posts

Jan 7, 2013

Lord_Voldermort1 wrote:

Wow phillyblunz this is pretty useful stuff!

Thanks but now with all the new Christmas players I felt a need to bump this back to the front.

I hear on the headsets these new guys all like "that noob is putting the walls up backwards, can someone go fix that or kick him out"

Its just like when the game launched all over again, lots of people need to learn the way of the wall.

Anyone who skipped the OP and reads this I say "Build walls backwards almost always!!!!"

Hawkfan267 wrote:

dulun18 wrote:
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 113 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4677 posts

Jan 7, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

Anyone who skipped the OP and reads this I say "Build walls backwards almost always!!!!"

Awful advice.

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 113 (101 Views)
0 Likes