Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gaming Beast
2054 posts

Re: No female figures...so how about female-ish customizations?

Aug 2, 2011

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Man Political Correctness has really ruined things.  Seriously just make it 2 female faces and 2 male faces and then let the accessories (outfits) be custom colorized.

Its so simple and wont use up more memory than what they are doing now.

Want to join BHD in MAG?  Just click this link or this link --> www.betterhideordie.com

http://community.us.playstation.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-36178561-13684/450-135/c094c436b39e__1285772257000+%281%29.jpg

Plymco is absolutely right... just keep it simple and add an option for a female face.  With most military styles outfits, it's pretty easy to make armour that is unisex in appearance.

Message 21 of 158 (149 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Aug 3, 2011

Personaly, I don't really care one way or the other. Would it be nice? Sure it would.

There's a few big reasons I keep hearing about why many devs don't have female models in MP games (especially shooters) that actually make some sense:

1) Female models aren't the same size as males. This is where the memory 'excuse' comes in. For the low-memory-using option, to take a femal skin over a male model and put it side-to-side with a male skin/male model now would look horrible; no matter how good-looking both are. Face it, we're not built the same, and because of the focus on graphics and realism now (and just the better tech and what that brings) it just can't be done that way. In the past, sure; I've seen great games with one female-skin-type-characters and it really didn't look out-of-place. But that was with models that aren't all that detailed (and many people would cringe at if we had them today, especially with the nice HD sets everyone seems to have to have...). But now? It just won't work. Can you imagine the hate devs would get if their female characters aren't *perfect* in the MP, especially in a third-person game where guys would make these characters just to stare at them as they play?

Also, because of the size and proportion differences, you could have two different hitboxes for the sexes; you can imagine what would happen then, and the nightmare it would be to balance this, if it could be balanced...

2) Harassment. Yeah, believe it or not, this would happen a lot more then it would without the models. Being able to quickly identify a woman (or a possible woman for those men who like to play as a female in all their games...) just makes them targets. I'm sure everyone has heard the tales in WoW of males just giving all sorts of stuff to female characters they meet (whether or not they really are a woman), and even more if they prove they have a female voice (stories often say that the impersonator grabs his GF or mom or sister to say a few lines as 'proof')

Just me saying something on my mic gets me a lot of negative reactions, no matter how I am playing, or even what game or where in-game. Sometimes I get guys who react in a 'good' way, but those are not nearly as common as the bad. I hate hearing all the "wait...there's a GIRL in here?!?" type comments, and the constant questions about it. Its completely uncalled for. I mean, should I start being surprised when a guy gets on their mic and start questioning them and doing stuff like that to them? No (it would also just not work whatsoever). As a result, I don't have my mic on much if I'm not with my friends and clanmates. I don't even want to think about the reactions if I had a female character in-game when I refuse to turn my mic on (normally when  playing solo). 

And for those that read this line, I sometimes enjoy playing the Devil's Advocate...

Do I think more MP games should have female models to use? Yeah, it would be nice. I wouldn't mind having a skin just for this in customization. I don't really care about graphics unless they give me a headache (which does happen occasionally). I really wouldn't mind the suggestion of having on set of cloths/armor/whatever that is female-like. It would be nice actually.

Neither of these points are actually that important to me; however, I know they are many other people (I'm sure devs are more keen on point #2...) who are concerned with one or both.

It is what it is; maybe they'll add something down the line...

I know, great debut post on this forum...am looking forward to the game, though...trying to at least get to "decent" in Warhawk before this comes out...

Message 22 of 158 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2277 posts

Aug 3, 2011

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:

Just me saying something on my mic gets me a lot of negative reactions, no matter how I am playing

trying to at least get to "decent" in Warhawk before this comes out...

PA128's Youtube Page MAG's Grenade Launcher Queen Need a Clan? Click me!

MAG Forum Sig

You know the PS3 has a menu option to change the pitch of your voice? Set it to lower your voice, then when you go on mic you'll sound more male.

How many hours have you put in on WH?

The Warhawk wiki is here
Message 23 of 158 (149 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
49220 posts

Aug 3, 2011

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:

Personaly, I don't really care one way or the other. Would it be nice? Sure it would.

There's a few big reasons I keep hearing about why many devs don't have female models in MP games (especially shooters) that actually make some sense:

1) Female models aren't the same size as males. This is where the memory 'excuse' comes in. For the low-memory-using option, to take a femal skin over a male model and put it side-to-side with a male skin/male model now would look horrible; no matter how good-looking both are. Face it, we're not built the same, and because of the focus on graphics and realism now (and just the better tech and what that brings) it just can't be done that way. In the past, sure; I've seen great games with one female-skin-type-characters and it really didn't look out-of-place. But that was with models that aren't all that detailed (and many people would cringe at if we had them today, especially with the nice HD sets everyone seems to have to have...). But now? It just won't work. Can you imagine the hate devs would get if their female characters aren't *perfect* in the MP, especially in a third-person game where guys would make these characters just to stare at them as they play?

Also, because of the size and proportion differences, you could have two different hitboxes for the sexes; you can imagine what would happen then, and the nightmare it would be to balance this, if it could be balanced...

2) Harassment. Yeah, believe it or not, this would happen a lot more then it would without the models. Being able to quickly identify a woman (or a possible woman for those men who like to play as a female in all their games...) just makes them targets. I'm sure everyone has heard the tales in WoW of males just giving all sorts of stuff to female characters they meet (whether or not they really are a woman), and even more if they prove they have a female voice (stories often say that the impersonator grabs his GF or mom or sister to say a few lines as 'proof')

Just me saying something on my mic gets me a lot of negative reactions, no matter how I am playing, or even what game or where in-game. Sometimes I get guys who react in a 'good' way, but those are not nearly as common as the bad. I hate hearing all the "wait...there's a GIRL in here?!?" type comments, and the constant questions about it. Its completely uncalled for. I mean, should I start being surprised when a guy gets on their mic and start questioning them and doing stuff like that to them? No (it would also just not work whatsoever). As a result, I don't have my mic on much if I'm not with my friends and clanmates. I don't even want to think about the reactions if I had a female character in-game when I refuse to turn my mic on (normally when  playing solo). 

And for those that read this line, I sometimes enjoy playing the Devil's Advocate...

Do I think more MP games should have female models to use? Yeah, it would be nice. I wouldn't mind having a skin just for this in customization. I don't really care about graphics unless they give me a headache (which does happen occasionally). I really wouldn't mind the suggestion of having on set of cloths/armor/whatever that is female-like. It would be nice actually.

Neither of these points are actually that important to me; however, I know they are many other people (I'm sure devs are more keen on point #2...) who are concerned with one or both.

It is what it is; maybe they'll add something down the line...

I know, great debut post on this forum...am looking forward to the game, though...trying to at least get to "decent" in Warhawk before this comes out...

MAG Forum Sig

Excellent post phoenix with a lot of good points and insight!

Your going to change my mind if you keep it up...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr  

Message 24 of 158 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Aug 3, 2011

Women love very much WarhawK more than other boring war game.. (who says FPS!??!?)

soo.. Starhawk need female figures and customization!!! (like Motorstorm)

Message 25 of 158 (149 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Aug 3, 2011

jason_ac wrote:

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:

Just me saying something on my mic gets me a lot of negative reactions, no matter how I am playing

trying to at least get to "decent" in Warhawk before this comes out...

MAG Forum Sig

You know the PS3 has a menu option to change the pitch of your voice? Set it to lower your voice, then when you go on mic you'll sound more male.

How many hours have you put in on WH?

For Warhawk documentation & gameplay tips visit the Warhawk Wiki

Is Warhawk out of date? No, it's the HawkJunkie's training ground for Starhawk! Pwn Starhawk newbies from day 1! :smileywink:

Um...Zero ranked, probably <10 unranked (have no clue really, but not a lot). Haven't played any TPSs really either...

And the voice changer doesn't help; gives another set of problems, actually...

Message 26 of 158 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
95 posts

Please Put Female Characters In Starhawk Multiplayer!!

Aug 24, 2011

Ok so I was reading today's Playstation blog post by Harvard Bonin and someone asked if she would be able to select a female avatar in multiplayer. Unfortunately, Harvard Bonin, Senior producer at Santa Monica Studios, responded:

+ poisonedsodapop on  August 24th, 2011  at 10:29 am said:

I want some Starhawk swag! I’m not going to Pax though. I asked before but got no response (probably won’t get one again) but are there any plans to include female characters in the multiplayer? I’ve been following this game since it’s announce and have seen no news related to this.

+ Harvard Bonin on  August 24th, 2011  at 12:02 pm said:

sorry, nope, not in multiplayer

I know alot of people, not just girls, want to see female characters in Starhawk. We need to let the guys at Santa Monica Studios and Lightbox Interactive know that we want female avatars in the game!!

The Starhawk team is known to interact a great deal with the fans so I encourage everyone who reads this to make tell them you want girl characters in Starhawk by posting on todays blog post right here:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/24/starhawk-space-battles-at-pax-mlg-and-more/

But don't stop there! Tweet @DylanJobe He's the president of Lightbox Interactive and tell him why we should have female characters in Starhawk MP

At the very least respond to this thread or make your own requesting for female avatars.

Thanks and I hope you agree that the awesomenessness of this game would be greatly increased and even more greatly appreciated if girls could choose female character models in Starhawk's multiplayer. Thanks again!

Message 27 of 158 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Re: Please Put Female Characters In Starhawk Multiplayer!!

Aug 24, 2011

Meh.

There's a ton of other things I'd rather see time invested in than female characters.

Message 28 of 158 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
813 posts

Aug 24, 2011

I agree with bate.  Why does it matter if your video game character has an inny or an outty?  I'd rather they focus on making starhawk a decent game rather than adding tits to a character.

Photobucket
Message 29 of 158 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2277 posts

Aug 26, 2011

They claim they cannot, because they can't spare the RAM for a new model & all the animations.

Though the male will have many customizations, and they could quickly and easily make some that camouflage & feminize the male-ness of that model.

The Warhawk wiki is here
Message 30 of 158 (322 Views)
0 Likes