Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
47908 posts

Re: No female figures...so how about female-ish customizations?

Aug 21, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 81 of 158 (105 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
47908 posts

Re: Female Character Skins

Aug 21, 2012

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:

Personaly, I don't really care one way or the other. Would it be nice? Sure it would.

There's a few big reasons I keep hearing about why many devs don't have female models in MP games (especially shooters) that actually make some sense:

1) Female models aren't the same size as males. This is where the memory 'excuse' comes in. For the low-memory-using option, to take a femal skin over a male model and put it side-to-side with a male skin/male model now would look horrible; no matter how good-looking both are. Face it, we're not built the same, and because of the focus on graphics and realism now (and just the better tech and what that brings) it just can't be done that way. In the past, sure; I've seen great games with one female-skin-type-characters and it really didn't look out-of-place. But that was with models that aren't all that detailed (and many people would cringe at if we had them today, especially with the nice HD sets everyone seems to have to have...). But now? It just won't work. Can you imagine the hate devs would get if their female characters aren't *perfect* in the MP, especially in a third-person game where guys would make these characters just to stare at them as they play?

Also, because of the size and proportion differences, you could have two different hitboxes for the sexes; you can imagine what would happen then, and the nightmare it would be to balance this, if it could be balanced...

2) Harassment. Yeah, believe it or not, this would happen a lot more then it would without the models. Being able to quickly identify a woman (or a possible woman for those men who like to play as a female in all their games...) just makes them targets. I'm sure everyone has heard the tales in WoW of males just giving all sorts of stuff to female characters they meet (whether or not they really are a woman), and even more if they prove they have a female voice (stories often say that the impersonator grabs his GF or mom or sister  to say a few lines as 'proof')

Just me saying something on my mic gets me a lot of negative reactions, no matter how I am playing, or even what game or where in-game. Sometimes I get guys who react in a 'good' way, but those are not nearly as common as the bad. I hate hearing all the "wait...there's a GIRL in here?!?" type comments, and the constant questions about it. Its completely uncalled for. I mean, should I start being surprised when a guy gets on their mic and start questioning them and doing stuff like that to them? No (it would also just not work whatsoever). As a result, I don't have my mic on much if I'm not with my friends and clanmates. I don't even want to think about the reactions if I had a female character in-game when I refuse to turn my mic on (normally when  playing solo). 

And for those that read this line,s enjoy playing the Devil's Advocate...

Do I think more MP games should have female models to use? Yeah, it would be nice. I wouldn't mind having a skin just for this in customization. I don't really care about graphics unless they give me a headache (which does happen occasionally). I really wouldn't mind the suggestion of having on set of cloths/armor/whatever that is female-like. It would be nice actually.

Neither of these points are actually that important to me; however, I know they are many other people (I'm sure devs  are more keen on point #2...) who are concerned with one or both.

It is what it is; maybe they'll add something down the line...

I know, great debut post on this forum...am looking forward to the game, though...trying to at least get to "decent" in Warhawk before this comes out...

Please use plain text.
Message 82 of 158 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1365 posts

Aug 21, 2012
Where did you find this Pilgrim? I think it's a little ridiculous that if you post something about having female skins the community immediately jumps on you for being a perv. All those messages were a little annoying. Believe it or not guys, gals play games too.. and some would prefer to play as a girl. They already have the model in the story. And the female skins could just be butch rifter type ladies. Think Rosie O'donell or Rose Anne.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 83 of 158 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2176 posts

Aug 21, 2012

Guys wanting female character skins,LMAO.. What's wrong here!!

Dark-Wallpaper-Gothic-Background_zps160a06ac-1_zps1cd2b98f photo Dark-Wallpaper-Gothic-Background_zps160a06ac-1_zps1cd2b98f-1_zps1e55fc20.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wii bowling : dream 4 Arvada 2 GG Arvada

Wii tennis : dream 3 Stash 1 GG that last shot rite on the line.
Please use plain text.
Message 84 of 158 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4677 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 21, 2012

I like to use female character because when guys herass me, it make them Gai.  :smileylol:

Please use plain text.
Message 85 of 158 (169 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
47908 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 21, 2012

EzraMajor wrote:
Where did you find this Pilgrim? I think it's a little ridiculous that if you post something about having female skins the community immediately jumps on you for being a perv. All those messages were a little annoying. Believe it or not guys, gals play games too.. and some would prefer to play as a girl. They already have the model in the story. And the female skins could just be butch rifter type ladies. Think Rosie O'donell or Rose Anne.

And old beta thread where we discussed female skins, its a good thread and a few other ladies from warhawk/starhawk beta commented in it, I'll bump it for you and post a link :smileyhappy:   http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Starhawk-General/No-female-figures-so-how-about-female-ish-cu...

I didn't comment at all other than to quote phoenix from the other thread :smileytongue:.    I don't think you want to be a perve, from what i've seen of your posts I think you were just trying to be thoughtful of the lady gamers so if people were saying that about you don't let it bother you.  Those who think that don't know, and those who know don't think that :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 86 of 158 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1351 posts

Aug 21, 2012

Slowpoke

Please use plain text.
Message 87 of 158 (165 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 21, 2012

This tired old topic again?

I'm like Phoenix. It'd be nice, but so what if it doesn't happen?

SO many other problems with this game that have yet to be resolved, and somone is wanting to play dress up with their avvie?  IDC if its a male or female, asking for 'dress up' stuff when the sound still cuts out and people are getting kicked back to the XMB is just plain silly.

I'd much rather LBi spend their time on more important things.

Please use plain text.
Message 88 of 158 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4677 posts

Aug 21, 2012

Wakeboarder56 wrote:

Slowpoke

Finally!!!  :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 89 of 158 (161 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4677 posts

Re: No female figures...so how about female-ish customizations?

Aug 21, 2012

why do people bump old threads.

Please use plain text.
Message 90 of 158 (98 Views)