Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 01 2012
By: Fangs_of_Komodo First Son 5 posts

Opinions regarding 1.2.6 - Pre-built problems arise

7 replies 7 views Edited Feb 1, 2012

So after getting all giddy about the Twisted Metal demo, but running into constant matchmaking errors (which they are working on getting fixed) I decided I might as well play Starhawk in the mean time. Long and behold, there's an update greeting me and I see they added pre-built structures to complaints about speeding up the games, so, naturally I get excited.

However, after a couple of matches of TDM, I was left in a "WTF" kinda of moment. I'm not sure what Lightbox thought when adding these pre-built structures to the game, but it totally ruined the experience for me. Not only do people get access to pretty much everything from the start, but they push up and corner a team that has bad players on the team. When I heard they were adding pre-built structures I thought they were adding some walls, a vehicle station, and maybe a few turrets around here or there, but having freaking HAWKS and a supply station, where ANYBODY can get rocket for FREE is just beyond stupid, especially in team deathmatch. This is even more damaging to new UC3 beta players and anyone new in general who is playing for the first time and is probably trying to adjust to the mechanics and controls, only to get stomped by a hawk or ran over by a jeep.

I'm fairly certain that TDM did NOT need pre-built structures. What needed a speed up was CTF since everybody just built crap for the entire round. That needed pre-built structures to get the game going so people would try to capture the flag, NOT TDM. TDM is now stupidly fast, and with a team that doesn't know what they're doing the game can be over right from the get go. I'm not a bad player in any shape of form, so it's not me who this really effects, it effects the team mostly, and punishes new players.

So IMO most of the pre-built things need to go. Hawk stations and Supply stations MUST BE REMOVED, they are way to powerful and fast to have right from the get go with no walls, turrets, or beams to stop them. Jetpack stations are alright, but with the supply stations you already have a guy who can fly, is hard to hit, and has a rocket launcher within 5 seconds of the round, so I imagine they could stay if supply stations are removed. The vehicle station is ok since you could build one from the start of the match before this new update happened.  Before it was steady paced, more lax, but things got intense the more the match dragged on and people had more time to sway the battle in their favor. Now it's too fast for a 25 kill limit match, along with the other problems I stated. I'm strictly speaking about TDM, keep pre-built structures in CTF as that mode actually needs a speed up. This is my opinion about the new update regarding pre-built structures, I like the idea, but I think it needs tweaking and it definitely needs some removal. How do you guys feel about the new update??

On a bright note, I'm glad they patched the knife

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1643 posts

Re: Opinions regarding 1.2.6 - Pre-built problems arise

Feb 1, 2012

Well  I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions

This forum never ceases to amaze me

Hava happy day

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Feb 1, 2012

I don't see how this is so unfair OP.... each team has access to the same stuff in the first second of the game, right?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
209 posts

Feb 1, 2012

I love the speed the pre-built buildings add.  No more wasting my time saving up for what weapons I prefer to use during a match.  Now when I get into a match I can do what I want to do instead of what I have to do.

MAAN [Married And Always Nagged] Clan is recruiting, period. Also I NEED friends for Ghost Recon Coop/Guerilla/MP for trophies, will help you with trophies in return! Send me a friend invite with "Ghost Recon" in it.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8333 posts

Feb 1, 2012

I dont like the prebuilt structures or their placement really much at all.

I had a nice method of getting a hawk or jetpack within the first minute of the match on either map.  Now that technique is actually slowing me down quite a bit compared to everyone else that just jumps in a hawk and goes.

And the hawk pad on Acid sea is placed so razorbacks can drive across it, this makes securing you base with walls more difficult.

I think they should have the bunker at game start, and maybe a razorback but no hawk pad or JP dispenser.

My fav dynamic before this was rushing the team at level start while they setting up and catching them off guard.

Now I sit at home base knowing a hawk will be there soon to steal my flag.

I wait, kill two or three attempts at my flag and then proceed out to capture theirs.

So whats the point of rift barrels anymore?  Just to make the JP dispenser/BT/SG??  This is silly.

I get it though, LBI is just trying out one of the server options that will be in the full game.

And I have adapted so what-ever, I just miss those precious 60 seconds before where you were virtual assurred no hawks would be up yet.

Thats the funny thing here, before hawks go up the action is frantic, anything can happen, people are rushing around like crazy.

As soon as hawks get in the sky you see a total slowing of the game pace.  Everyone is scared of Death from Above and start camping/sniping/hiding/etc.

The only other time it gets as crazy is usually sudden death where people feel safer as they believe most of the enemy will be at their base, so they can steal theirs in safety.  Plus they panic.

It will be interesting to see how much action a game with no hawks at all would have and sustain for the entire round.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Feb 1, 2012

Phillyblunz wrote:

I dont like the prebuilt structures or their placement really much at all.

I had a nice method of getting a hawk or jetpack within the first minute of the match on either map.  Now that technique is actually slowing me down quite a bit compared to everyone else that just jumps in a hawk and goes.

And the hawk pad on Acid sea is placed so razorbacks can drive across it, this makes securing you base with walls more difficult.

I think they should have the bunker at game start, and maybe a razorback but no hawk pad or JP dispenser.

My fav dynamic before this was rushing the team at level start while they setting up and catching them off guard.

Now I sit at home base knowing a hawk will be there soon to steal my flag.

I wait, kill two or three attempts at my flag and then proceed out to capture theirs.

So whats the point of rift barrels anymore?  Just to make the JP dispenser/BT/SG??  This is silly.

I get it though, LBI is just trying out one of the server options that will be in the full game.

And I have adapted so what-ever, I just miss those precious 60 seconds before where you were virtual assurred no hawks would be up yet.

Thats the funny thing here, before hawks go up the action is frantic, anything can happen, people are rushing around like crazy.

As soon as hawks get in the sky you see a total slowing of the game pace.  Everyone is scared of Death from Above and start camping/sniping/hiding/etc.

The only other time it gets as crazy is usually sudden death where people feel safer as they believe most of the enemy will be at their base, so they can steal theirs in safety.  Plus they panic.

It will be interesting to see how much action a game with no hawks at all would have and sustain for the entire round.

I call B.S. here, Philly.

If the Hawks could still hover, I might agree with you.  I'm going to call it coincidence and noobs in equal measure.

From what I saw before my PS3 crashed last night, game play was fast, right at the word go, and while it had some lull time as all games do, not having to build the hawk pad and bunker saved not only time, but freed up rift for other things...

Like a forward base in an advantageous, elevated location.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8333 posts

Feb 1, 2012

Most and I mean like 8/10 CTF games I play the game is won or lost in the first moments of the game.

Who-ever can grab that flag before the hawks get up will usually win the game.  Thats what I see every day.

This is because people rush and dont have to watch the skies, thats what i see all the time.

I'm not talking everyone, as i use the hawks frequently to get that flag during the entire match, but my team is nowhere to be found, all sitting at home base building or at the maps center playing TDM near the safety of the pipes.

Now parts of the game are faster, such as first flag grab within the first 2-3seconds of the match, but I think people are scared of hawks, and in general dont venture much if they have a presence.

TDM it doesnt really matter to me.

And where is the prebuilt JP dispenser?  I consider that another nerf of the JP, wouldnt you?

They should not have hawk pads and JP dispensers at match start is my opinion.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Feb 1, 2012

Phillyblunz wrote:

Most and I mean like 8/10 CTF games I play the game is won or lost in the first moments of the game.

Who-ever can grab that flag before the hawks get up will usually win the game.  Thats what I see every day.

This is because people rush and dont have to watch the skies, thats what i see all the time.

I'm not talking everyone, as i use the hawks frequently to get that flag during the entire match, but my team is nowhere to be found, all sitting at home base building or at the maps center playing TDM near the safety of the pipes.

Now parts of the game are faster, such as first flag grab within the first 2-3seconds of the match, but I think people are scared of hawks, and in general dont venture much if they have a presence.

TDM it doesnt really matter to me.

And where is the prebuilt JP dispenser?  I consider that another nerf of the JP, wouldnt you?

They should not have hawk pads and JP dispensers at match start is my opinion.

You do admit these are conflicting statements, yes?  Or did I misunderstand the point you're trying to make? 

The rest of this post is directed in a general sense, btw.  Not specifically at you, Philly:

As for the early flag snaggers? This is also true in WH - often the team that snags the flag before the other team has a chance to get organized or get sufficient air support up and running is ultimately the team that wins.  Not only have they struck before the other team is ready to defend or has any bases to utilize for stopping the carrier, it also suggests a heightened amount of aggression on the behalf of the team that was ballsy enough to grab the flag first.... that aggressive offensive gameplay is what wins games, not standing around, waiting on blue stuff to fill your pockets.

Also, I'm not buying the fast RB Flag Grab (someone else may have mentioned that as a problem with the prebuilts and it may not have been in this thread, honestly.) is a problem NOW.  You could always buy a RB immediately upon spawning.

As it stands right now, each team in SH has access to the exact same starting assets and thus the exact same opportunity to rush the flag or stop the carriers.  If you're seeing people hiding from Hawks and camping because of them?  WELCOME TO (fill in the blank)HAWK!   I see it in every round of Warhawk - and its not game mechanics to blame, IMO, but I won't digress into Warhawk problems.

Frankly, people hide and camp whether Hawks are up or not... at the end of the day, that's my biggest gripe about SH and its not something LB can fix - people not being willing to play offensively, build forward bases, and use them or defend them.  Right now, SH caters way too much to the folks wanting to play castle defense, and most rounds, they let the flag walk right out without opposition, time after time, and tend to act like any request to stop the flag runner is a nuisance and interfering with their sandcastle building.

I don't think Hawks have anything to do with this at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (7 Views)
0 Likes