Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
2548 posts

Re: Snap Aim = Skill

Apr 17, 2013

Having said that the shotgun auto aim is cheap but I like the Rifle aim.

@Velvet :smileylol: I was looking for a maniacal one I think this is the closest.

Message 21 of 157 (165 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48845 posts

Apr 17, 2013

StubbornPuppet wrote:

Aim assist is part of almost all console shooters.  With the sloppiness of trying to be really precise with a thumbstick, it's practically a necessity. If you want to prevent silly moments where two perfectly capable and seasoned players spend three clips of ammo shooting back and forth to finally get a kill, because they happen to both just be barely missing each other due to minor sloppiness.

What's the alternative?

If they take out the aim assist, players scream, "OMG, the controls in this game are so sloppy you can't hit a thing!"

If they broaden the hit box around the player so that close shots still count, players scream "BULLS#!T".

I'd prefer people who can't move the controller precicely with hand to eye coordination to be on a lower playing field than those with better hand to eye coordination and reaction times.   I hate that a game's coding helps someone aim putting them on the same level as a person who would normally be way better than them.  

Then again I'm one of those people that like to keep score when kids play sports and all that :smileywink:.   "No Billy, everyone can't be a winner."

Message 22 of 157 (164 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

Apr 17, 2013
Oh now that stuff is funny!
Message 23 of 157 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1094 posts

Apr 17, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

StubbornPuppet wrote:

Aim assist is part of almost all console shooters.  With the sloppiness of trying to be really precise with a thumbstick, it's practically a necessity. If you want to prevent silly moments where two perfectly capable and seasoned players spend three clips of ammo shooting back and forth to finally get a kill, because they happen to both just be barely missing each other due to minor sloppiness.

What's the alternative?

If they take out the aim assist, players scream, "OMG, the controls in this game are so sloppy you can't hit a thing!"

If they broaden the hit box around the player so that close shots still count, players scream "BULLS#!T".

I'd prefer people who can't move the controller precicely with hand to eye coordination to be on a lower playing field than those with better hand to eye coordination and reaction times.   I hate that a game's coding helps someone aim putting them on the same level as a person who would normally be way better than them.  

Then again I'm one of those people that like to keep score when kids play sports and all that :smileywink:.   "No Billy, everyone can't be a winner."

Well, I agree with you almost completely... especially about your last sentence.

In most other games, you can turn the aim assist / snap aim off completely.  I've tried that before in those other games and it didn't take long at all to realize what a huge, huge difference it was, even in the ones where the assist is very subtle and brief.  While, yes, some players just have better thumb dexterity (I believe that finger length has something to do with it - I have very long fingers and thumbs), there is no denying that those sticks just aren't all that precise for aiming.

I don't want to bring the argument up (please forgive me), but the sticks don't even come close to a mouse for accuracy.

In a shooter game with the pointing controllers (like on Wii, not on PS3 Move (those suck)), there is no aim assist, because you are actually aiming for real and then you are on that field where it's about aiming skill and not how capable your thumb is of making micro-adjustments to a floppy stick.  I do pretty darn well at those games.

So, while the snap aim for the Kinetic Rifle on Starhawk is probably a bit much, the fact that it's still very brief and that good players know how to do it even faster and know how to wiggle and jump around to confuse it... I think that it's still fair enough. 

Hey, us "people who can't move the controller precicely with hand to eye coordination" (don't think I missed that personal jab there :smileywink: ) already get destroyed enough in this game, give us the few breaks we have.  Besides, it's not all about hand:eye coordination in this case,  it's about one controller that is one size and shape - not all of us have the same size and shape of hands.  Also, some of us are getting old and our reflexes aren't what they used to be :smileyembarrassed:  show us some mercy.

I guess I keep rattling on because thumbsticks are my personal weakness.  I can do everything else in most games really well and I have pretty fast reflexes for a 43yr old.  Heck, I can beat almost anyone at Wipeout HD - and that's one of the fastest paced games in existence.

photo StubbornPuppetSig2011-1.gif
Message 24 of 157 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Apr 17, 2013
Y u noobs type entire essays is beyond me.
Message 25 of 157 (145 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Apr 17, 2013
Arvadar sucks
Message 26 of 157 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1282 posts

Apr 17, 2013

highlydangerous9 wrote:

Having said that the shotgun auto aim is cheap but I like the Rifle aim.

@Velvet :smileylol: I was looking for a maniacal one I think this is the closest.

If you just google "emoticon html the sherv.net thing is a great site. Just copy and paste the code to the html tab on this boxy thing you type in.

Sweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet Kitty

Emmett kitty is hungry.
Message 27 of 157 (133 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1282 posts

Apr 17, 2013

CALI_K1llA wrote:
Arvadar sucks

And ArVaDa- Doesn't suck. Try DFing him.

You also spelled his name wrong.

Sweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet Kitty

Emmett kitty is hungry.
Message 28 of 157 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
561 posts

Apr 18, 2013
Cali and Arvada (noobs) are both in CON together, so I would assume he's joking velvet. Unless i missed something.
Message 29 of 157 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Apr 18, 2013
No u spelled his name wrong. Its ARVADAR_
Message 30 of 157 (123 Views)