Nov 29 2012
By: Phillyblunz Keyblade Wielder 10137 posts

So Starhawk and SMS, yes/no?

[ Edited ]
35 replies 320 views Edited Nov 29, 2012

http://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/268510846508998656

#Starhawk fans, thank u 4 your patience, our team & LBI are continuing a support update plan, we'll communicate this as soon as we can

What does this really mean?  Lets break it down a bit:

They state "continuing a support update plan"

This isnt saying much as plans can change cant they, I'm sure the "Plan" was to sell more then 200,000 copies of the game and well so far that plan has not played out very well.

Then they state "we'll communincate this as soon as we can"

This is more interesting to me.  As soon as they can. This seems to imply something they have been told to not speak about.  It would be wonderful if this was true and combined with Dylan Jobes comments that another update was in the works and possibly sent to Sony before the layoffs. 

I'm wary to get too gidy but a very real possiblity exists that an update not unlike the last lies in wait for us.

Seeings how the last brought a welcome companion(The grizzly) I would be more then willing to invite another woodland creature into our little family here, perhaps the fabled Starhawk spider or horse(Though I would prefer a reindeer, moose or unicorn).

The other way to see the "as soon as we can" statement is that their update plan is too stop supporting Starhawk all together and were told not to say anything by Sony until after the christmas rush just in case a few more copies of the game could be sold.

Here's what we know for sure:

-When LBI was in charge they would get really hush hush when a patch was first conceived (as anything could change still)  And when a patch was very near release they would get very hush hush as they claimed they were too busy making the patch great to read general comments, as at that point the patches were set in stone and no post would change that anyway, any other balance issues would also need to be retested after the patch so no real point in them being here except to amp us up.

-When LBI was in charge we would usually get release notes a week or so before the patch actually came out.

-Sony Santa Monica hasnt said anything here on the forums officially.

The only problem I have with the patch in the works theory is that its been a long time since we heard anything, the more time passes the less likely a finished patch was sent in to Sony before the layoffs.

The good news is maybe it wasnt finished, maybe they are trying to learn the backwoods programming techniques of LBI and then trying to finish the patch themselves.

I hope for some future surprises in this game, but we cant expect too much more money to get dumped in if the game hasnt made any money.

1.What do you guys think?

2.Have you heard anything else from SMS?

3.If a patch comes, what items of concern do you hope will be adressed?

4.If a patch comes what additional content would you like to see.

Here is some addittional reading if anyone is interested concerning this topic:

http://gamerant.com/starhawk-lightbox-interactive-layoffs/

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/some-updates-from-lightbox-on-studios-future/4423/

Starhawk developer LightBox Interactive hit a major roadbump this week, with the company’s relationship with Sony coming to a close. The studio was then forced to lay off 24 employees.

There were 32 employees at LightBox, but the layoffs will bring that number down to a “core team” of eight, according to LightBox president Dylan Jobe.

Jobe announced the studio would be focusing on iOS development going forward, but would not elaborate on the game itself.

“I could, but I think that'd be inappropriate,” said Jobe in an email. “Right now I'm focusing on making sure the team members I'm laying-off are as prepared as possible to find good jobs. There will be a time for PR on our iOS game--but now is not that time.”

The 24 impacted employees, whose last day is today, have all been offered severance packages.

As Starhawk is an active multiplayer-focused game, players of Starhawk might be hoping LightBox would be contracted to continue support for it, but that’s not the case. Jobe has a solution for the nearterm, though.

“There are some updates that I still want to deploy for our fans around the world so I'll just be ‘eating’ that cost,” he said.

Giant Bomb

Pretty classy dude. The Hawk games never did much for me but I'll be keeping my eye on their Ios efforts as I'd be glad to support a studio that operates like this.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 1 of 36 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Re: So Starhawk and SMS, yes/no?

[ Edited ]
Apr 3, 2013

Update  April 3, 2013

@Me_Phillyblunz We hear you, we're focused on maintaining Starhawk servers, a lot of great players keeping the Rift Energy flowing

Uh Oh, looks like the update plan is just to extinguish the servers when they catch fire.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 2 of 36 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Nov 29, 2012

re-ser-ved!

Hawkfan267 wrote:

dulun18 wrote:
Message 3 of 36 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5809 posts

Nov 29, 2012

I'm sorry... did you say something?  I couldn't hear you for SMS being orgasmic about God of War.....

Message 4 of 36 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Nov 30, 2012

So DJ Haole said there will be an update, but gave no further information on content or time frame.

Who is this Haole and how is he intertwined with LBI/SMS?

Do we really know who he is?  Could he possibly be an imposter?

I think we need to do an extensive back ground check on this guy and see what makes him tick, can he really be trusted?

Our hearts have been broken too many times to leave them on our sleeves.

I am in the process of pulling up his criminal record, bank statements, dental records, grade school report cards and drivers abstract, can one of you tail him for a few days and see who he is in cahoots with, may have to catch this fish and put the squeeze on to get some answers, we have ways to make you talk, if any of you get caught I will deny any involvement.

Hawkfan267 wrote:

dulun18 wrote:
Message 5 of 36 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2068 posts

Nov 30, 2012

So the update they told us about this week is another update on the update, which is basically the same as the last update on the update? Theres no point in giving us updates (SMS), not you, if they're going to be the same as the last but worded differently.

Message 6 of 36 (244 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4677 posts

Nov 30, 2012

I have an Update:

Smash Burger is fricking awesome.

Message 7 of 36 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6552 posts

Nov 30, 2012
Check out the poster thread page 14! My poster was awesome!
Message 8 of 36 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Nov 30, 2012

armyluke wrote:

So the update they told us about this week is another update on the update, which is basically the same as the last update on the update? Theres no point in giving us updates (SMS), not you, if they're going to be the same as the last but worded differently.

Yeah, but I made this thread hoping someone would be able to find an actual update on the update.

At least that DL haole said it is real, but can we trust him?

Hawkfan267 wrote:

dulun18 wrote:
Message 9 of 36 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Nov 30, 2012
Yes. . As far as I am concerned about any updates, I am updating right now.

on PSASBR

this is me helping
Message 10 of 36 (213 Views)