Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 20 2013
By: Phillyblunz Treasure Hunter 8106 posts

Sony Feb 20th, Announcements! Starhawk Patch??

[ Edited ]
30 replies 287 views Edited Feb 20, 2013

So Sony is doing some big announcement tonight at 7pm Eastern.

Many expect this announcment will be a new console, I am not too pumped baout this yet.

I would be happliy surprised to hear some Starhawk news though.  GoW must be getting pretty near done by now so maybe SMS has some free time to give us some Starhawky love.

If they do announce a new console I hope they have some titles to go along with it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Warstar, its like Warhawk and Starhawk but with no hawks and more RTS elements.

Perhaps Warstar could be made by the PixelJunk studio?  Pixel Junk Starhawk(Or Warstar) monsters would be too awesome.

Also hoping for SWBF3 coming to a console near you.

What do you forumers expect to see at the show?

What would you love to see at the show?

Links:

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/306666-Sony-February-20-event-livestream-urls

http://blog.games.com/2013/02/20/sony-ps4-live-stream/

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=100573

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sony+feb+20th+livestream&oq=sony+feb+20th+livestream&aqs=chrome.0.57j...

This one has some music to tide you over for an hour, lol.

http://new.livestream.com/cnet/playstationevent

Event has begun, they are doing the commentating right now(#:30pm), expect the actual show to begin in about 30mins and counting.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 31 (287 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8106 posts

Re: Sony Feb 20th, Announcements! Starhawk Patch??

[ Edited ]
Feb 22, 2013

So now that we have all seen the announcement, let us consider what it all means.

For me I have a few glaring issues that will be hard to get past.

I was burned by Sony on the PS3 when they made promises on launch and then swiftly swept them under the rug, examples:

1 - I bought a PS3 in large part because I had a huge investment already in PS1 and PS2.  My library of games ensured I would be playing on my new PS3 regardless of the games which would come out/be out when I bought it.  The upscaled resolutions was a nice touch, and an all in one device only made sense, why would I want 2-3 game consoles under my tv when one would do it better?

2 - I loved the PS3 because it took the controller to a new and exciting place by adding sixaxis ensuring a truely next generation experience.  We all know how well/often that was actually supported in any games.  I only know of about 6-7 games which actually used it in a way that was of any benefit to the gameplay experience.  The tech is good, the support was non-existant.

3 - I bought a PSP because the PS3 was said to support remote play.  The thought of playing all my old PS2 games on the go was irresistable.  This never happened, only PS1 games were remote playable.  Actually only one PS3 game ever supported remote play, and it was awesome but I missed the sixaxis control of the DS3.

4 - I continued to enjoy the PS3 for years due to its straight forward UI and PS Store configuration.  I would always make a point of pointing this out to my loyal xbox friends when we would be comparing the benefits of each machine.  The recent PS Store update has completely ruined this for me, I can not find anything in the new store, even specific searches using exact wording do not get you to the results you are looking for.  Go and try to find a video today, where will you look?  Games? Movies? TV shows?  No, its a video I want, such as the Sony PS4 announcement, game developer interviews, etc.  What games and DLC are free?  These used to be immediately available when you entered the store, plus it used to be ten times faster accessing the store.  Along with the superflous Playstation store icons on the XMB and addittional sections I never intend to use, have created a mess where simplicity of use/function used to occupy.

5 - I also continued to support the PS3 for offering free online.  I already pay for my internet and games, why would I pay again to keep playing my games I paid for on the internet I continue paying for?  That is pure rubbish.  I only usually buy 1-2 games per year, paying for online would almost double the cost to my family of my past time and this is not acceptable IMO. 

6 - Downloaded content available on up to 5 systems!!  What a way to usher in the digital age.  I can buy once and play the same game on 5 consoles at the same time!!  Online only games then became full screen local mutliplayer games, I loved this for 4 player coop like the heist, or resistance 2 online coop, etc.  Sony then decided to go back on this promise and remove 3 of my 5 activations!!!  With BS lies that old content would still be playable on 5 consoles.  Uh how can you do this when the store will not let you download anything if you are not on one of the only two activated consoles?  From a person with tons of downloaded content I can tell you it is a huge PITA to try to get around this crap.

So now for PS4 what promises do we hear?  Seems really familiar somehow doesnt it?

Basically we have been told all the lies about the PS3 will become the truths of the PS4.  Fool me once, fool me twice, I think not.

1 - Removing the incentive to stay with Sony for the PS4 due to our existing investments.  I specifically held off on the XBOX 360 as I did not want to have to completely replace my existing game library.  So now maybe it is time for me to hold off on the PS4 and see what microsoft has in store for us.  Seems Sony wants us to completely replace our games, rebuying them as digital copies at some future date TBD, and now even to replace all our controllers barring the Move.  The last remaining factor to keep us loyal is the exclusive games, many of which have been lost to Xbox this generation, so we are holding hope on new IP's we have never played or seen for the most part and as we have seen this gen game develpoers are changing and with them their IP's change as well, some to a point where they are no longer recognizable.  Just look at the Resistance series, some would say Hawk series, Infamous, Motorstorm, etc.  I see this extending to PS4 so our beloved characters are so alien and deformed we no longer feel they are who we remember, just look at the new infamous on PS4.  Might as well make new ties with IP's on PC, Nextbox, or what-ever.

2 - Sixaxis was hardly supported in PS3, though those who knew how to implement it allowed gaming experiences far beyond what was possible before.  The immersion was incredible in games like Motorstorm, or Warhawk, and experiences like First person guided projectiles have never felt so good.  Alas it was basically a promise almost no one ever kept, notice how the sequel to Warhawk(One of the best games to ever use Sixaxis) does not even have this support, and all the work for it was already done!!  It would have been a simple touch, but they abandoned yet another promise.

I hold no delusions this time that things will be different, I would not be surprised if they scraped sixaxis altogether in the new controllers and just went back to last generation controls found in the PS2 and xbox360.

3 - Hey Ps4 will support remote play for all PS4 games!!!  I believed them last time, never again.  HEy you can play all your PS1,PS2,PS3 games via remote play!!!!(At some point far into the future, if you are willing rebuy your entire library of games for the 3rd time now)  Yeah not buying it.  I guess I should just call their bluff and wait for this fabled support to materialize at some far off future point, till then maybe I'll be playing nextbox?   If Sony thinks I will run out and buy a Vita then sit and wait for 12 years for something that will never come they are fools, only trumped in this regard by those who believe them.

4 - The PS4 UI glimpes we have seen to me look like a mangled mess, very similar to the older 360 UI, and to a lesser extent the current 360 UI.  What is wrong with having a straight forward highly functional UI??  Why do we need 3 advertisements for every 2 useful icons?  If I want video, I should simply look under video, games under games, etc.  What is so wrong with having this so streamlined and efficient?  The current PS Store is pure garbage, I could not find the wet spot on a flour coated cherib in that mess.   Its slow, laggy, convoluted, confusing, the search does not work, its a maze where you dont even know what the cheese looks like.  I hate the new PS Store with a deadly passion.  Did I mention that 2 outta 3 of my PS3 can not even access the store since the update?  They used to give some message I cant recall, but now say the store is under maintainence everytime I try to access.  And seeings how Sony took away two of my three activations I have to deactivate a consoles, connect another consoles, go to the store, try to find something, then download it, then deactivate that console and reconnect the primary PS3, go to download list and then i can get the content I want!

Its total garbage and I hate that they changed this without giving me the option to stay with what worked well.

5 - We have heard nothing about PS4 being free to play online.  With all the investments Sony has made with GaiKai, and what-not I can only presume we have lost this most coveted fewature of the PSN we know and love today.  I may be worng on this so time will tell.  Its just as likely that the nextbox will be free to play online so this point does not provide an advantage at this point to either machine.

6 - We have heard about Sony's idea to ban all used games for fear of lost profits, fear of loss is a path to the dark side.

To me it seems if I have 3 PS4's I will be required to buy a copy of each game for each console!!  Forget the 5 activations we used to have or even the two we have now.  It will be "F_ck you pay me".  This is not the Sony I fell in love with, its not the Sony I want to support either.

Lastly I just wanted to say that as an older gamer I feel I may be getting left behind this time, perhaps the world of games and care free fun are at an end for me.  I dont want to pay to play, I def do not want to pay to win, I do not want my friends and family to see how much gaming I do via facebook or Twitter, I do not want my real name and face to appear on the interwebs for dirty old men to spank to or track me down in real life, I do not want to have to be online 24/7 to have a little fun here and there, and for **bleep** sure i don not want my kids putting their real information out their for any **bleep** pervert or hacker to mess around with.

I game for the escape from reality, to do things I never will in life, I want a new persona, a new way to feel things and experience things.  Bringing in actual truths of my own reality ruins this idea for me, and scares me for what it means for my children.  I'm sick of being lied to at every turn, by corporations to get my money then swiftly turn the tables around in yet another attempt to get my money.  Where is the honor, I thought the Japanese were known for this historically?

Sony said it best in the Feb 20th announcement, the PS4 is a console by developers, for developers.  (I'm not a developer so I think I will pass at least for a few years)

Cheers!!

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 31 (283 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1790 posts

Feb 20, 2013

I don't know what to expect but i can't wait for the massive games to play on Ps4 like Planetside 2, Dust 514 would be at its greatest and im sure SWBF3 would be epic on Ps4.

rndmjosh.png
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (272 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8106 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Maybe Parappa the rappa on PS4?

Could be like 4am where you can rap for anyone in the world to hear, and there could be guest rappers like Eminem where you get a chance once a week to rap with them live on the interent, maybe even rap battle them???

Sweet.

Hawkfan267 wrote:

dulun18 wrote:
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 31 (262 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2540 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

Maybe Parappa the rappa on PS4?

Could be like 4am where you can rap for anyone in the world to hear, and there could be guest rappers like Eminem where you get a chance once a week to rap with them live on the interent, maybe even rap battle them???

Sweet.

what?? lol!!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 31 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1225 posts

Feb 20, 2013
I'd be seriously surprised if Starhawk gets anything new...ever. Though I didn't see the December update coming, so who know!

My main hope regarding starhawk is that there will be a "spiritual successor" or maybe even a remake in the next generation or two. Remember the Warhawk was actually a remake of a PS1 game (skipped the ps2 entirely), so just keep believin!
--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------

----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 31 (246 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Feb 20, 2013

Hit it and quit it
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 31 (236 Views)
Fender Bender
3079 posts

Feb 20, 2013

I would kill for battlefront 3

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 31 (210 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
343 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 20, 2013

I clicked the link thinking there was an actual Starhawk update anouncement.  Now I have a sad.

But yea....They wouldn't create any sort of hype for the lowly game that is Starhawk. I feel we are just a bunch of rats playing in the sewer to them.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 31 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8106 posts

Feb 20, 2013

http://blog.games.com/2013/02/20/sony-ps4-live-stream/

This says it will be the livestream, I'll update the OP.

Its 3pm Mountain, that equals 6pm Eastern I think.  T minus 1hr?

Here are some more options

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=100573

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/306666-Sony-February-20-event-livestream-urls

Hawkfan267 wrote:

dulun18 wrote:
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 31 (203 Views)
0 Likes