Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 10 2012
By: ballsmakinze Fender Bender 2611 posts

Starhawk 101. New to Starhawk start here!

[ Edited ]
148 replies 3246 views Edited Oct 10, 2012

I've noticed there wasn't a thread for new people here so I thought since I've recently seen a LOT of noobies lately I'd make a place for them to learn a few things before starting their Starhawk journey.

Starting off- SP (single player) is a great place to start. Through single player you will get a feel for some of the weapons and vehicles. Pay close attention to how the weapons work and how much damage is done. This will be very important in MP (multiplayer). After you complete the sp I'd suggest moving to co-op/prospector mode.

Co-op/prospector mode-
Co-op is another great mode for learning. Players spawn onto the map and are first tasked with building a Rig on the Rift well located on the map. Once the Rig is built, players are tasked with protecting the Rig from six waves of increasingly difficult Outcast. I'd suggest starting on the easiest difficulty. Use co-op to practice up on your weapons!!!
Now that you have practiced up on your weapons your ready for MP.

MP modes and loadouts-

The Loadout affects what structures will be available on the Structure Ring for Build & Battle, how much Rift Energy you start with, and what (if anything) is pre-built at the Home Base when the game starts. Loadouts can be changed when creating a game.

Types of Loadouts

Loadouts are available in 2 "flavors":
•"Regular" (formerly called Strategic): Regular Loadouts start with blank maps, and three cells of Rift. Gameplay tends to unfold more slowly as people build up the map, like in an RTS. Be aware of rush attacks at the start of matches, as you have minimal offensive/defensive abilities.
•"Blitz": Blitz Loadouts start with pre-placed structures, and players spawn with six cells of Rift. Blitz games are intended to be fast and furious.

List of Loadouts

The following table is a list of loadouts and the structures they contain. These five loadouts are only available in Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch, and Zones.

There is a special Loadout only for Deathmatch, called Dogfight. You spawn in Hawks, you cannot land, and there's no bnb.

Garage = Razorback

Coral= Sidewinder 

Classic Beta.
•Wall (upgrades to Gate)
•Garage
•Auto Turret
•Watchtower
•Outpost
•Supply Bunker
•Vulture Station
•Launch Pad
•Beam Turret
•Shield Generator

Ground Pounder.
•Wall (upgrades to Gate)
•Corral
•Garage
•Auto Turret
•Watchtower
•Outpost
•Supply Bunker
•A.R.M.
•Beam Turret
•Depot
•Shield Generator

Availability on Maps

Ground Pounder is available on all maps except Orbital and Apogee.

Air Superiority.
•Supply Bunker
•A.R.M.
•Vulture Station
•Launch Pad
•Flak Turret (upgrades to Beam Turret)
•Shield Generator

Availability on Maps

Air Superiority is available on all maps

Lone Wolf.
•Corral
•Watchtower
•Outpost
•Supply Bunker
•A.R.M.
•Vulture Station
•Launch Pad

Availability on Maps

Lone Wolf is available on all maps.

Heavyweight.
•Wall (upgrades to Gate)
•Grizzly
•Auto Turret
•Watchtower
•Outpost
•Supply Bunker
•A.R.M.
•Launch Pad
•Beam Turret (upgrades to Flak Turret)
•Depot
•Shield Generator

Availability on Maps

Heavyweight is available on all maps except Orbital and Apogee.

Trooper

-Wall

-Grizzly

-Turret

-Sniper Tower

-Bunker

-Outpost

-Jet Pack

-Pod Shooter

-Shield

Light-Weight

-Wall

-Grizzly

-Turret

-Sniper Tower

-Bunker

-Outpost

-Jet Pack

-Pod Shooter

-Shield

-Corral

-Garage

Speeder

-Hawk

-Sniper Tower

-Bunker

-Outpost

-Corral

-Garage

-Wall

-Arm

-Turret

Modes-
CTF- Its pretty basic. The goal is to acquire the set amount, 1-5, of flags before either your enemy does or the time runs out. Tips below.

Team deathmatch- In TDM the goal is to reach the set amount of kills as a team before the time runs out. In some cases its based on the time alone I.e kills set to 1000. Tips below.

Zones- In zones the team who acquires the most zones in the set time will win. If a team acquires all zones acquire then it's called All word victory. Tips below.

Assualt- 

In this territory control mode the teams are split up into attacker and defender.  The attacking team starts at one end of the map with a single drop zone and must capture each of the defending teams control points in order.  At the end of the first round the teams switch and the defenders become the attackers.  When both rounds are complete the team with the most points wins!  Assault is available on all of the original maps, Origin and Collider.

Gatekeeper:
This is our second hawk-only gameplay mode and adds a bit of order to the chaos of Dogfight.  Playing like a sports game in space or in the sky players will pick up a ball and attempt to fly it through several rings.  Each ring the ball carrier flies through increases his potential score by one.  Once he has flown through all of the rings he must then fly through the central gate to score the points, all while the opposing team is trying to shoot him down.  Gatekeeper is available on all of the original maps, Origin, Collider, and the new Dogfight/Gatekeeper maps Breaker and Flotilla.

Deathmatch Arena:
Many in the community called for Deathmatch on foot and this new mode is a direct answer to them.  Arena matches are fast paced free for all battles where the gear is dropped in from above automatically so all you have to worry about is killing the other players.  Since the respawn and drop pod speeds have been significantly increased there is little downtime when you die. This, combined with the generally smaller maps and unpredictable placement of buildings makes for a frantic gameplay experience!  Deathmatch Arena is available on Glade, Origin, Relay, Orbital, Junction, Conduit, Outlands, Basin, and Narrows.

MP tips-
You're going to find yourself aggravated at times from different aspects of MP. Allow me to help you with a few things so you'll have a leg up.

Base ravaging-
Base ravaging happens when the enemy team has pinned you in your base and won't allow you to progress forward. There are many different types of modes (see above) this will happen in and many different ways to handle it. First off though you need to realize that you won't always be able to get out of it. In some situations you will be better off to just leave and find another server. But if you choose to stay find the mines and an enemy's bunker. A great strategy is to do what I call a reverse br. Place a mine on the top of the ladder of the enemy's bunker and in the door and proceed to destroy everything they have with the MAW (rocket launcher). You may not kill a lot of people but it's better than the alternative and you're racking up points.

CTF -
Capture the flag is a quick paced mode. If you're not careful you'll find yourself behind before you know it. There are 2 types of players needed in CTF. A flag runner and a defender. Once the match starts quickly determine which player you are. If everyone runs to the flag you will lose. I like to pause for a second before spawning to see where my teammates are spawning. If your teammates are all spawning way out then congratulations you are the defender. Drop a bunker, grab the MAW and get ready to defend. Your best bet is placing the bunker close to the flag, crouch on top and wait. If at any point you can get the mines then place 2 on the flag, keeping one so that you can refill them as needed in the bunker. As your rift fills up start placing beam turrets as needed. Its best to place one on either side of the flag. Then connect with walls in between.

More CTF tips from insidious1- http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Starhawk-General/Tips-For-A-Protected-Base-In-CTF/m-p/3719188...

TDM-
There are many strategy's in TDM but finding your own is key. I find that there, again, are 2 type of players. The all out kill or be killed player and the sit back and come to me player. Each if played right can be successful. Remember this is TDM. The goal is to have more kills than the opposing team. Main thing is to be ready at all times. When the match starts you'll have a barrage of sidewinders and razorbacks flooding into your base. Ready the MAW and/or mines and that will quickly end that. Remember bunker= protection.
Small tip: mines on sidewinders transfer over to a passing sidewinder, razorback or tank and BOOM.

Zones-The 2 player type theme carries on here. Think of it like CTF but your zone is your flag. Placing a bunker down and defending a zone is important if there's enough people. If not throw down a few mine and turrets and proceed to the next zone. ARMs will not help you keep or destroy a zone any faster! Don't fall for this myth. Keep a eye on your mini-map. When you see one of your zones blinking white proceed to that zone asap. I like to drop a turret in the troubled zone as I drive by in my sidewinder as a backup to help me destroy the enemy. If it's a hawk in your zone mine up your sidewinder, it takes 2, and run into him. Zone safe.

Deathmatch-
If you're new then it's best to practice deathmatches in small servers only! This will allow you to practice the ins and outs of the Hawk and get you used to the weapons! The Hawk is by far the hardest thing to master in the game so take your time. If you need help there are plenty of great pilots here willing to help. Look up Bus_driver68. 

More interesting tactics and strategies by CRO-

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Starhawk-General/Interesting-amp-Efficient-Tactics/m-p/374948...

Future patches-
As of right now the next patch 1.04 will be out soon. No date has been given but stay tuned for the details in a future thread. We do know at some point skins are coming as well. New mini maps will also be in 1.04 and ALL future maps will be free.

Remember noob have fun!

Join us for community night every Wednesday night- http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Starhawk-General/Starhawk-Wednesdays-Sign-Ups-09-12-12/td-p/3...

Video walkthroughs and help from TheGremlinKlown- http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGremlinKlown/videos

Full skill list and details by PhoenixArcher128/Plymco_Pilgrim- http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Starhawk-General/Skill-List/m-p/37340048/highlight/true#M4148... < Focus on unlocking Turret Jammer, engine mods and low profile first. IMO these are VERY important skills to start out with.

Funny but informative videos- 

-------------------------••-------------------------------
I know there are a few things I might be missing but the good thing about this community is that there are a lot of good people here who will help you in anyway they can. PLEASE feel free to post your noob questions here and these good people will walk you through your problems, if possible. Also remember to use the search function so you don't spam a previous post.
I'll also update this thread with anything that's needed as time goes on.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 149 (3,246 Views)
Fender Bender
2611 posts

Re: Noobs start here

Sep 10, 2012
.....and I'll fix the grammar and spelling errors tomorrow when I'm not mobile lol.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 149 (3,243 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1701 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2012

Starhawk - Maps - Troop & Hawk Weapon Spawns

photo TGKSHBG2013_zpsa906bc94.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 149 (3,236 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1012 posts

Sep 10, 2012

great post balls. nice to see new people getting the game and coming to the forums. another good thread, for newer players, is cro's thread on tactics, found here;

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Starhawk-General/Interesting-amp-Efficient-Tactics/m-p/374948...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 149 (3,221 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

Sep 10, 2012

Great thread! I've been noticing the new guys on too more frequently and the one's who have questions I've been inviting into private game rooms to get them accustomed to the MP and maps.  

I am by NO means an authority on how to play this game but any new players that aren't comfortable jumping into the fray FR me and we'll set something up.  

My rooms are usually called (gamemode here) PRACTICE. And are set to start at 32 players only so it's public practice. Or I set a password room.  So new guys... look me up (see my slogan).

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 149 (3,208 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2611 posts

Sep 10, 2012
Updated. Thanks guys!
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 149 (3,192 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4677 posts

Sep 10, 2012

What is youtube?  :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 149 (3,179 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
788 posts

Sep 10, 2012

There is a large thread called "starhawk information center" that I once saw stickied...i know because I read it for help when I was new.

This is a good thread too.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 149 (3,164 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
904 posts

Sep 10, 2012

Nicely done.  I just can't help but point out it's TURRET, not TURRENT, though.  This is still a wealth of knowledge anyone new to the game should read.  I would also add in the structure list that Garages spawn Razorbacks (jeep) and Corrals spawn Sidewinders (jetbikes), et cetera.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 149 (3,161 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1094 posts

Sep 10, 2012

You might want to name it something other than "Noobs, start here."  Not very friendly.  Nobody wants to be called a noob, even if they are new to the game.

How about "Getting Started with Starhawk - What You Need to Know."

photo StubbornPuppetSig2011-1.gif
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 149 (3,152 Views)
0 Likes