Jan 04 2013
By: velvet_123_cat Uncharted Territory 1281 posts

The skiil aquisition grind- is there a pattern?

[ Edited ]
26 replies 211 views Edited Jan 23, 2013

EDIT:

Ok, as I've become more experienced, I've noticed something odd about the way players of certain level groups play. Here is what I have gathered.

• Levels 1-5 : these guys just started. They tend to use the hawk more, because it is fun, even though they can't compete with other players.
  • Levels 5-15 : by now, they've realised that they can't fly a hawk, and have mived on to ground vehicles, where they feel safe. They don't go big in their play style yet. They mostly drive around and build your teams base wrong, but they occasionally get a kill
  • Levels 15-25 : now these noobs are starting toget the hang of the game. They make some strategies and start to figure out the way to FLY a hawk. Their base construction gets more organised.
  • Levels 25-35 : finally, the new players are starting to get some skills, and are more well rounded. They can usually do the suicide mine trick without dying. They are trying hawk combat again after their first epic fail
  • Levels 35-50 : now they are almos to the level of mediocrity. Their K/D is slowly starting to rise, although with difficulty. They use a hawk with skill
  • Level 50+ anyone who cares enough to go this far is either going to be good or starting to become good. Unfortunately, a couple of noobs who just spawn buildings to get some XP will get here, or just people who cant't play for real. (SW mine spam [I mean every round, the entire game, not just occasionally])

So to sum that up, the order is ( for vehicles)  Hawk, Razorback/Grasshopper, Tank, Hawk

Sweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet KittySweet Kitty

Emmett kitty is hungry.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6405 posts

Re: The skiil aquisition grind- is there a pattern?

Jan 4, 2013
I'm level 40 and I still don't know how to fly a hawk'
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
64 posts

Jan 4, 2013

I would make one change to your observations (pretty good ones by the way)  velvet:  You reach level 50 and still not have a full grasp of all the aspects or how to play the game.  I myself am just starting to get the hang of zones by playing in the forum room.   The forum games can seem overwhelming to the unprepared but you get a chance to see what can be accomplished in terms of skill and gameplay in just a few hours.     

I would point out that KDR is not always a direct indication of skill.  There are a lot of d-bags playing that have huge KDRs but play to maintain their stats not the objective of the game.  

Experience means you will recognize a game where the other team has a plan and is slowly starting to overwhelm and accomplish the objective (if they do it without spamming your base with outposts pay close attention and learn).   The best part is when you come to recognize how a few small things you do will help turn the tide.  Before the advent of the grizzly one or two people with grinders and prox mines could set the other team back on their heals.  Now you have to be much more creative.

Balanced or nearly balanced games which provide a lot of back and forth games are the reason (in my opinion) most of us enjoy SH.  

I waited until November to start to learn how to fly (a big mistake on my part).  I will never be a beast in the air but with some help from some very patient forum members it isn't a quick loop of spawn,fly/die anymore.  

Alright...I'm flying now but I'm still really scared of heights.......and now flak!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Jan 4, 2013
You mention the op spam, but once you get the grinder skill it is irrelevant. I'll be hosting a noob room over the weekend so that skills can unlock easier.

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (186 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6896 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Samokoske wrote:
You mention the op spam, but once you get the grinder skill it is irrelevant. I'll be hosting a noob room over the weekend so that skills can unlock easier.

A noob room would only help if there were actually a way to limit the level of players that can join it.

Of course, what constitutes a noob can also be considered a debatable point.  I'm roughly 400XP short of level 30, but still feel like a noob when I hit a busy server.  I definitely feel like my skills are finally coming around, though.  I was playing Maw of Despair solo last night on medium difficulty and managed to make it to the final round before being overwhelmed by the 20+ Apex Warriors that show up for the finale.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (169 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13617 posts

Jan 4, 2013
Everyone is different. Most people will try out everything before lv 20 or so, I feel. But to get good with anything...at least lv40. And that's just "good". To really be "skilled" with something...its an hours thing, not a level thing. If you do things that get a lot of XP, you'll level faster, but won't necessarily be as skilled as someone who focuses on learning things that earn less XP.

There's also playing a gamemode right; a good player will be going for objectives and/or defending their own; bad players will be going after easy kills or spamming things with no regard for their team. I've seen plenty of "good" players running around (or flying over) an enemy base in CTF killing people over and over but refusing to grab the flag or help a flag carrier; that's not helping your team, that's kill-farming, no matter how you spin it.

But really, its hours invested in one weapon/vehicle that gives skill, not level or XP earned. And some people are just better at some things than other people.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (165 Views)
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Jan 4, 2013
^^^ what she said. Individual skill is good for gaining skills though.

A server tailored for noobs to gain skills would be casual, long games in big rooms with maps that give easy accessihility to harder to find things. Apogee is a great layout that offers easy access to the grinder, so you can get your 10 kills in hour long 1000 kill TDMs.

Same with shotgun, and if you so desire, sniper kills. Another good loadout/layout to get some decent skill unlocks are long classic basin TDMs.

All you need is a good host moderating the server, and giving good pointers to noobs. Also, the server will continue to sprinkle zones, ctf, gatekeeper, assault, and DMs to encourage flexibility of players. I'll post the server and announcement here explaining it later today. But one thing I won't do is personal time or clan recruitment. Anybody speak to philly lately?

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
64 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 4, 2013

Samo,

I agree the grinder skill is a relevent skill for base protection and I have yet to unlock it.   I tend not to spend much time at the home base unless I am trying to push back a BR.  When I play defence I use weapon mods.   A quick double shot with the MAW is handy when protecting a zone, flag or when you have those pesky hawks dropping in with stealth trying to stomp the kids 

This is more of an open question to the forum.  Is it possible to unlock the grinder skill in the Prospector maps?  

(I took out 8-9 fully loaded razorbacks the other night on the Ballard Crossing map.....nada....nothing...what the fudge?)

Phoenix makes a very good point about getting better.  It will take hours to hone small tactics into a cat like reflex.  

Complicated things like homer missle dodging while dog fighting take much longer.

Alright...I'm flying now but I'm still really scared of heights.......and now flak!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (147 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13617 posts

Jan 4, 2013
I can't remember if you can earn the Weapon skills in Prospector. You'll just have to try it out for yourself. You can earn some skills in Prospector, but not all, and I can't remember which ones you can and which you can't.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Jan 4, 2013
I got the shishkabob skill in prospector, also the repairman skill there too.

this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (139 Views)
0 Likes