Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/21/2007
Online
46584 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2013

chemicalgroom wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:
I tried to answer you but wanted to know what you specifically did not understand about the people who already told you "I still play because I enjoy the game and the community".  Hence my asking for further clarification of what part of that you do not comprehend.


Out of an abundance of caution, I actually just re-read the whole thread (twice!) and you actually never said that. However, you have said it now so I consider it no prejudicial error on your part.

 

Your answer has two parts, as does GOW's. You guys (GOW is a guy, no? I have never played with him/her, and GOW is a unisexual screen name -- I'll assume GOW is a dude for the time being because when I hear GOW I think of that white and red guy).

 

"I enjoy the game': why? Again, you loved MAG - and Starhawk seems to have zero in common with MAG. It's not FPS, the servers are pretty small, there are few if any inherent benefits to team-oriented behavior (as compared to the scoring system in MAG), etc. As I said before, MAG (to me) is much more like BF3. I suppose the only caveat might be that IF someone were to play MAG as SVER and win nearly every round (as seemed to be the case when I was playing MAG -- SVER won someting like 80% of its matches) and someone were to play Starhawk and enjoy similar success, that might be an incentive to stick with SH rather than play a new game. I would think that a competent SH player who gets on line to play with the same group regularly probably DOES have a relatively high winning percentage.

 

"I enjoy the community": that I get, but I think you mean "the BHD community" (for the most part). A pretty healthy percentage of the posts here are BHD. It sounds (correct me if I am wrong) like you play a fair amount in community servers that are often populated by BHD folks. Nothing wrong with that - the same can be said of me in BF3, although my "regular" group is a mish-mosh of clan affiliations who are either former Warhawkers (including SUGA folks, but extending to NNN, CCX, etc.) or other gaming clans that we've gotten to know through the Batlefield franchise. My preference is to have as large a community as I can because I never know when I'll be online; I can't count on playing the same 1-2 hour slot all the time or on showing up for any sort of scheduled event.


Anyhoo, those are my 15 cents. 


You have a penchant for setting up straw men, this is the 2nd time now in this thread.  The first sentance, I never said what you claim I said.  I said "The people who already told you that"  I did not say "I already told you that".

Moving on.

 

I enjoy the game because the gameplay is fun for me and the community is also fun to play with in game.  My WLR is no where near what it was in MAG, nor is my KDR, I did way better at mag than I do at starhawk.  My enjoyment has zero to do with stats and has to due with, as I stated, the gameplay.

 

BHD may make up ~35% of the posters here at the current time.  In the community nights we typically are between 15 and 30 percent of the total players in a server.  There are several clans that have multiple members in our wednesday event every week, BOW2, CXX, MBB, G.S., NeGX, BHD, and a few others too.   I hope I've been able to correct your misconceptions on these issues. 

 

 

 

 

Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 114 (175 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/08/2008
Offline
7992 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

Feb 14, 2013

chemicalgroom wrote:

 

@Philly: I also appreciate your point of view -- you are looking for a challenge, and for sure Warhawk/Starhawk are challenging games. Please don't misconstrue what I said, however. I was not talking about myself (which is why I said "If you..." in my hypothetical).  I like to know I have a chance to win and that I can at least do "OK" in game. That's where I was in Warhawk at my best (which wasn't very good compared to, say, Manly), and that was enough for me.

 

1. My preference for BF3 over Starhawk is based, among other things, on the factors I recited about my own BF3 experience; larger community playing it, more folks on my FL playing it; more balanced games. I'll add: more teamwork, more objective-oriented scoring, better graphics (by 10000x), more immersive.

 

2. Actually, balance is HUGELY important to me. If I spawn in and am hammered by eight guys in hawks (and they are always guys) before I can move, there's not much incentive to play. If I can spawn into a "safe zone" and then sneak out a back way, have all my weapons with me when I spawn, and then serve as a spawning point for my teammates - THEN I have a chance no matter who I am playing against. That's why I prefer BF3 (and preferred MAG). 

 

3. In my mind, games that don't insulate against base ravages are doomed to fail from day 1. MAG did it well, the BF series does it well. Heck, COD does it reasonably well. Warhawk did it better than Starhawk by a pretty respectable margin (through use of cover, built up bases, readily available weapons and vehicles that don't require you to take any action at all - no matter how stupid your teammates may be). That's my opinion, of course.

 

4. Someone in this thread also misunderstood my comment about COD. I wasn't saying that COD is somehow immune to having younger (or immature) players -- but the facts are that there are (a lot ) of kids out there who don't play COD because their folks won't let them. There is a reason why these boards and, towards the end, the Warhawk boards were populated (that's a relative term here) by so many young folks. 


1. I own BF3, I have enjoyed a few matches for sure, but it has never caused the "Must play" response from me.  I do like the graphics of course, but for shooters or fantasy I usually gravitate towards the more sci-fi-y type games.  I'm a sci-fi/comic book nerd so sci-fi allows me to forgive portions of the game which do not make sence and this allows me to become better immersed I think.    But the community size thing I feel the opposite sometimes.  For example, I played MAG for a long time, for about 4-5 betas then bought on launch and played almost exclusively until Starhawk beta began.

The catch for me was the command structure and custom class based gameplay.  But I really preferred MAG when it was just a close tight knit community.  When the demo dropped along with the price the game became more popular and the community grew and we started seeing many young children joining and ruining what was a very respectable mature group IMHO.  This along with the patches began to destroy my beloved game.  I only stuck around for the friends I had made.

 

2. I loved MAG's spawn system, even though people could defeat the red line with a lag switch it didnt happen often and I liked that.  I tried to get the attention of the game devs since beta to tell them to implement something like this.  Say the rear of every base has a permanent bomb shelter with a couple tunnels leading out to 3-4 places within your base or just outside your base, this would have prevented the spawn camping we still see today IMO. In starhawk over time I have found a few little tricks to spawning safely in a brape, but they not 100% effective every time.

 

3.I dont think the shelters in Warhawk helped me very much, I spawn get tow'ed, spawn get electrocuted, spawn and run towards where a vehicle is and get towed or clustered, or someone else takes the vehicle just before I get there then i am running around looking for sometime to drive or take cover in but there is nothing around so I get tank shelled or any form of hover attacked, etc.  

So I disagree that In Warhawk you had "readily available weapons and vehicles that don't require you to take any action at all - no matter how stupid your teammates may be"  You had to walk around and find these weapons/vehicles  that sounds like an action, and this action can take awhile sometimes, some weapons even required you fly up to them in a hawk!  Like the sniper rifle on some levels.  Almost every time I would spawn the RPG would be already taken, or the hawks would be gone, etc.  I really prefer Starhawk in this sense because no matter how stupid your team mates are(Baring a structure limit spammer) you can always find exactly what you need right in front of you nose.  Build and Battle for me is one of the greatest game play mechanics ever, any other game I go to play I find myself trying to drop turrets or vehicles then going

"oh yeah I have to walk around in this game to get stuff."  This is BF3, BLOPS2, etc.  

 

4.  That was me.  And I admit of course I have heard some kids screaming on the mic in Starhawk but it has happened maybe 4-5 times in the well over 1yr I been playing.  In COD4 this was an everyday thing.    Ftom playing BLOPS 2 I have only heard it about 3-4 times but I only play at friends houses.  I also dont think many parents prevent their kids from playing COD games.  Most moms I have seen are much more prone to prevent their kids from playing games like Resistance then realistic war shooters for some reason.  For example my nephew came over to my house, I offered to play some coop R2, so we were and my sister(His mom) is like **bleep**!  He will have nightmares of giant spiders and aliens!!  So he is not allowed to play it anymore.  But I talk to him and he has a 360 and guess what he plays? COD!  LOL.  Talking to other parents it is the same story everytime, the idea being that they see blood and bullets in every tv show these days and society is numb to it.  But when they see blood dripping from the mouth of some deformed being they think "That will gve them nightmares and mental trama"

Ask any kid under 10 who plays video games what their favorite is, I have yet to find one of these kids who games which has not said COD.  Also ask that same kid what Starhawk is and they will have no idea.

Maybe its only like this in Canada?  

 

And it seemed at first as though you were here to be abraisive, but I like the way you have been responding so if I was also abraisive I'm sorry.

 

Cheers.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.


dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 114 (158 Views)
Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/08/2008
Offline
7992 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2013

chemicalgroom wrote:

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better. Some thoughtful answers from the group there.

 

Wrappy, I used to feel that way about FPS -- when I tried FPS games after playing Warhawk, I really struggled with the peripheral vision. I did get used to it, though. In BF, you can toggle between first and third in vehicles, which is very helpful. Would be pretty cool to have a shooter that let you do that as a troop, too.

 

 

 

 

Its called MGO.   The multiplayer for one of the deepest games ever made.

 

And you could swim, and you could drop porno mags and when an enemy man would come up they would be forced to look at the porno for a few seconds, and thats when you knifed them!  for the female characters(Thats right this games online had male and females!!)  You would drop a fashion mag and they would be forced to look at it for a bit.

Its also one of the only online shooters I can think of with vampire and ninja DLC!

 

Oh I think I need to play it again, as well as the sp, talk about a great game.

 

 

And if you are looking for very fast paced troop combat in Starhawk the mode is called DM.  Choose a nice small map and be ready for chaos.  I can not think of any game where the action is as crazy as this mode is.  It feels like the really busy areas in MAG when you are trying to take an objective in domination except when you kill people they spawn right back to you pretty much instantly. 

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.


dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 114 (154 Views)
Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/04/2007
Offline
5542 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

Feb 14, 2013

RubiconAlpha wrote:

That's what cripes me most about Starhawk is there is just nowhere to move around without being owned by pilots when on foot or in a vehicle. Even most of Starhawk's ground pounder servers leave you too exposed when on foot.

 

I enjoyed Warhawk's map designs better (even though Starhawk is prettier) because it fit my play style. Build and Battle's open sandbox just left me wanting.

 

Starhawk hits many of the same notes as Warhawk, good vehicle and troop combat, but made Hawk domination even worse than Warhawk because now the pilot never has to leave the cockpit to kill you when you are on foot. Nowhere is defendable since it can be destroyed in seconds.

 

If I had the flag, could make it to a building and you wanted it, you had to get your feet on the ground and take it from me in Warhawk and that gave me a fighting chance.


Appreciate the response Rub, Now I have to ask, why do you enjoy Starhawk so much more than Warhawk? Why not play Warhawk instead?

 
 
I also want to hit on the these 4 paragraphs. I don't think you developed enough as a 'hardcore' player to realize the delicate balance between the weapons in Warhawk. Nothing personal against you, it's just what I'm gathering from the to B/I sentences above. They contradict, if the ground and vehicle combat was balanced then ground only servers shouldn't leave you feeling exposed.
 
I've written extensively on the issues with Starhawk around the beta/ first month of release if your interested increading it. If not, the short version is that although Starhawk is based off of Warhawk, the mechanics are totally different. 
 
All that means is that I personally don't see Starhawk having good troop or vehicle combat (balance). And because of that, Planes are as powerful. (Map layout also has a bit to do with it, like you mentioned. Also plane combat isn't very good, but that point is irrelevant)
 
Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 114 (119 Views)
Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/04/2007
Offline
5542 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

Feb 14, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I enjoy the game because the gameplay is fun for me and the community is also fun to play with in game.  My WLR is no where near what it was in MAG, nor is my KDR, I did way better at mag than I do at starhawk.  My enjoyment has zero to do with stats and has to due with, as I stated, the gameplay.

 


Are you sure it's not because you were insignificant in Warhawk? And now you're 'Big Man on Campus'? Or more appropriately, 'The Starhawk Babysitter'.
 
 
    
Please use plain text.
Message 75 of 114 (112 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/17/2012
Offline
3293 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

Feb 14, 2013
If i may interject, manly, good is not to be confused with balanced. Arena matches are pretty balanced, as the weapons seem to all work minutely different, much like warhawk's. But base power/mobility, a team on a razorback should swiftly take out a tank.

Ideally, there should be other advantages to using the sidewinder/jetpacks, but I'm still **bleep** about the grizzly. It has better power/mobility ratio than the tank. Artillery sucks vs. Grizzly and switching over to straight rounds will get you killed faster.


this is me helping
Please use plain text.
Message 76 of 114 (109 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/04/2007
Offline
5542 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

Feb 14, 2013

Samokoske wrote:
If i may interject, manly, good is not to be confused with balanced. Arena matches are pretty balanced, as the weapons seem to all work minutely different, much like warhawk's. But base power/mobility, a team on a razorback should swiftly take out a tank.

Ideally, there should be other advantages to using the sidewinder/jetpacks, but I'm still **bleep** about the grizzly. It has better power/mobility ratio than the tank. Artillery sucks vs. Grizzly and switching over to straight rounds will get you killed faster.

I think 'good' relates better to 'balanced'. A better word to use rather than 'good' probably was 'fun'.

 

Usually, 'good' things are 'balanced'.

Please use plain text.
Message 77 of 114 (107 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/21/2007
Online
46584 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

Feb 14, 2013

ManlyMisfit wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I enjoy the game because the gameplay is fun for me and the community is also fun to play with in game.  My WLR is no where near what it was in MAG, nor is my KDR, I did way better at mag than I do at starhawk.  My enjoyment has zero to do with stats and has to due with, as I stated, the gameplay.

 


Are you sure it's not because you were insignificant in Warhawk? And now you're 'Big Man on Campus'? Or more appropriately, 'The Starhawk Babysitter'.
 
 
    

We had a huge clan in Warhawk and we had tons of fun playing, hence my 1200 hours in warhawk compared to my combined 1200 between MAG and starhawk (800 mag, 400 starhawk)

Manly you should to stop with the assumptions and just ask me instead.  You are wrong almost 100% of the time when you assume like this.

 

Big man on campus/starhawk babysitter?   I'm not sure what you mean to imply with this, can you elaborate?

Please use plain text.
Message 78 of 114 (98 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/04/2007
Offline
5542 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

Feb 14, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

ManlyMisfit wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I enjoy the game because the gameplay is fun for me and the community is also fun to play with in game.  My WLR is no where near what it was in MAG, nor is my KDR, I did way better at mag than I do at starhawk.  My enjoyment has zero to do with stats and has to due with, as I stated, the gameplay.

 


Are you sure it's not because you were insignificant in Warhawk? And now you're 'Big Man on Campus'? Or more appropriately, 'The Starhawk Babysitter'.
 
 
    

We had a huge clan in Warhawk and we had tons of fun playing, hence my 1200 hours in warhawk compared to my combined 1200 between MAG and starhawk (800 mag, 400 starhawk)

Manly you should to stop with the assumptions and just ask me instead.  You are wrong almost 100% of the time when you assume like this.

 

Big man on campus/starhawk babysitter?   I'm not sure what you mean to imply with this, can you elaborate?


I didn't ask about your stats. I didn't make any assumptions. Sleep on it. Your gammer is horrendous when you're agitated. 

Please use plain text.
Message 79 of 114 (91 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/21/2007
Online
46584 posts
 

Re: This game still alive?

Feb 14, 2013

I am not agitated, I'm just not sure of what you were trying to say.  If you do not wish to clarify that is fine, if you do I'll be around.

Please use plain text.
Message 80 of 114 (115 Views)
Reply
0 Likes