Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 10 2012
By: lnsidious1 Wastelander 656 posts

Tips For A Protected Base In CTF

40 replies 205 views Edited Mar 10, 2012

I've never seen it done right until I picked a Map Loadout. All I see is three shitty ass walls around the flag. Maybe a turret or six but that's it.

Walls and Gates

Place 2 Walls and a Gate around the flag. Block every possible entrance to your base. If you can communicate, then some of your team should stay and protect and repair your base.

Bubble Sheilds

Multiple bubble shields are required. And defend the shield generator. Surround it by a few turrets.

Beam Turrets

In Space, place them on the nearby Islands. In Scourge, place them in the back of your base, also with Dust. Place them on higher areas so they can reach Hawks in the air, and so they can detect Ground Vehicles.

Bunkers

You only need one. It's location doesn't matter, along with Vehicle Dispencers.

Sniper Towers

In the back with Beam Turrets, so Snipers protecting the base can get a view of the entire base. They should be protected with a bubble shield.

Mini Turrets

They should be made last. Fill the build limit with them when everything else is built. Place them around important areas, like inside the walls protecting the flag.

Troops

Depending on the number of players, half the team should stay with the base, the other half should go for the flag. NOT to build a second base that they abandon. Snipers should find higher elevated areas that are protected. Repairmen should do both repair the base, and repair vehicles that are being used by teamates. Assault players should leave the base for the flag, and should split up in groups to find different ways in the enemy base.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 41 (205 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1090 posts

Re: Tips For A Protected Base In CTF

Mar 10, 2012

I think turrets should be added the second the walls are made. They often give the person still at the base warnings of attackers...and they help out the lone wolf still at the base. Also try not adding double of other items...and bewarned of the Ammo bunker being turned against you.

Welcome to Craibwoud

LBP2: U.S.S. OK
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 41 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
656 posts

Mar 10, 2012

With turrets being last, i meant those extra ground turrets, not the ones on walls. And with the Bunker, it should be protected with turrets and Mines.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 41 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
447 posts

Mar 10, 2012

I gotta disagree with your tactics. The Outposts are very important to success, if all you do is defend you make the game less fun and turn it into a game of death match and nothing gets done. If the enemy team has a launchpad they can easily take out your assault party and they have to start all over again.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 41 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
656 posts

Mar 11, 2012

If the assault party is made of say... 4 people, a Hawk would take them down? I doubt anybody would go attack a base with only an Assault Rifle, but even then they could destroy a Hawk.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 41 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1765 posts

Mar 11, 2012

I think I might vomit.  This is what makes the game unplayable at times.

First, walls are essentially useless. They serve a purpose right around the flag. That is it. Jetpacks go right over walls.  Bikes jump over walls. When people try to wall off every entrance to a base, I just shake my head. What a waste of resources.

I absolutely find walls (other than 3 around the flag) to be worthless. I have never intentially built a wall and have been  playing the beta since November.  The less walls your team builds the greater your chance of victory. Walls all over the place reeks of noob.

I can't count how many times I have had the flag and wanted to drop a garage, but no the limit was met.  Wasted on walls.

Turrets serve a purpose, but should be used judiciously. People place them so close to each other that one obstructs another from hitting a target. Space them out. 3 to 5 around the flag? Sure. 12? No, you are hurting your team.  Even better, use less turrets and use mines instead. 

Sniper tower? Sure. But only one... on the whole map. Snipers are so relatively worthless compared to the other resources in a CTF game.

On large maps, resources should be used to establish a forward position. Have you ever tried to drive a tank from 1 base to another?

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 41 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Mar 11, 2012

forgot what i was gonna post...thank you marry hwanna

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 41 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
656 posts

Mar 11, 2012

Walls aren't useless. Sure Jetpacks and Jetbikes can get passed them, but like I said, If people defend the base, they can take care of them. What If a Razorback came and shot down the three walls and took the flag? Would it be useless for some walls on the outside to keep it away from the flag until it gets destroyed? And how does this make the game unplayable?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 41 (205 Views)
Sackboy
447 posts

Mar 11, 2012

mule-tool wrote:

On large maps, resources should be used to establish a forward position. Have you ever tried to drive a tank from 1 base to another?

Yes ;_;

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 41 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
447 posts

Mar 11, 2012

lnsidious1 wrote:

Walls aren't useless. Sure Jetpacks and Jetbikes can get passed them, but like I said, If people defend the base, they can take care of them. What If a Razorback came and shot down the three walls and took the flag? Would it be useless for some walls on the outside to keep it away from the flag until it gets destroyed? And how does this make the game unplayable?

BECAUSE THE GAME IS ABOUT MOVING FORWARD.

If you look at the mechanics of the game, they are specifically geared towards having what you want where you want it and by not moving outside of the base with your buildings you are making the game less fun and making the whole system useless.

This game is not tower defense plus flag parties, they are supposed to be integrated, not separated. which is why we have build AND battle, not build OR battle.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 41 (205 Views)