Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 15 2012
By: Alexius92 Uncharted Territory 2124 posts

What does Skill score consist of, anyone know?

17 replies 970 views Edited May 15, 2012

so basically we have been hearing things from Dylan like if you kill players with lower rank you won't get as much skill score as by killing higher ones. Makes me wonder if it also apply for dying. In other words if you get killed by high ranks you lose less than dying vs low?

But other than that does things like

Destroying buildings

SPM / XP

KDR

W/L ratio

Bonus?

how does team switching affect it?

etc. etc.

do these things affect it? I don't think leaving a server lowers your skillscore since I have a pretty high one even tho I have left many servers due to the lack of competition/good players/emptiness etc. Not sure whether over all that has affected it negatively or not.

Also I was playing some co-up with my friend gorbad clearing 3 levels with the hardest difficulty and despite success I think my skill score got lowered after that? Very odd.

Does anyone have a clue of what it consists of? Would be cool to know what incentives they are pushing.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (970 Views)
Sackboy
500 posts

Re: What does Skill score consist of, anyone know?

May 15, 2012

If they were to explain in detail what drives skillscore changes, it would influence player behavior.  In other words, if they were to tell the community that jumping tanks off cliffs made your skillscore increase at the highest rate, everyone would be jumping tanks off cliffs.  They know they can't explain it to us in any real detail for this reason.  There's the problem of stat padding and then there would be the problem of intentional skillscore padding if this were to happen.  Not that a debate about what their algorithm considers an expression of skill wouldn't be beneficial, but I bet we never have the transparency we would like.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (970 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1684 posts

May 15, 2012

From what Ive seen the very top of the leaderboard is all about KDR, SPM, and W/L. Level of competition and whether they are noob pounding doesn't seem to be a factor at all. After that it gets a little fuzzy, so I assume there are some other variables.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (970 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
500 posts

May 15, 2012

Slothage666 wrote:

From what Ive seen the very top of the leaderboard is all about KDR, SPM, and W/L. Level of competition and whether they are noob pounding doesn't seem to be a factor at all. After that it gets a little fuzzy, so I assume there are some other variables.

Photobucket

It seems like W/L and SPM drive it the most, with KDR less so.  I agree that kill quality and several other mystery variables seem less impactful.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (970 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
389 posts

May 15, 2012

While I do have to agree that knowledge of what drives the skillscore if known,would dictate how some players play the game.But honestly,if lets say the most important factor was your K/D ratio average would that make baseraping any more common? And besides,once the "magic formula" is found out (and its only a matter of time) it won't really matter what LBI's intentions were,they may as well spill the beans.

With that said I think the most important factors are 1.wether you win or lose 2. experience gained and 3.your K/D ratio,now I could be totally wrong this is just how it seems to me..

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (970 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5871 posts

May 15, 2012

I will say that I've noticed a dramatic difference between how my Skill Score fluctuates and people who clan/ server stack to pound on uneven teams. I think it's the main reason I've stayed number 1 for so long, because last I checked no one, besides myself, in the top 10 has a Most Killed weapon that is not the Cluster by an insane difference. These same people also tend to lose and gain Skill Score rapidly, so one day they will be kicked out of the top 10, the next they are right on my ass at number 2. 

Now as I play a TON of Deathmatch (most fun to me) my Skill will contiunally increase with less than 3 deaths, but more than 25 kills. Anything under that K/D gives me either just 1 point or takes away. SPM seems to play another factor, because slower games yield smaller increases or even, in the case of CTF and Zones games, a massive decrease in the Skill Score, which I noticed after losing about 125 points after a few rounds of CTF and Zones. Your W/L ratio also seems to affect it to an incredible degree, because at one point despite me coming out with 25-30 KDRs, me still losing the game due to joining just a tad late or my team being awful still resulted in a Skill Score decrease.

So all in all.. everything affects it. And that's pretty awesome. It's going to be a long time (hopefully) before we even have to worry about someone figuring out how to exploit the system. Oh, and I really don't think Co-Op plays a part, at all Alexius. I did not play a game yesterday online, just a ton of Co-Op, and my Skill did not budge an inch, while today it increased further after a few games.

StarhawkCenter
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (970 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
500 posts

May 15, 2012

HottLixx86 wrote:

While I do have to agree that knowledge of what drives the skillscore if known,would dictate how some players play the game.But honestly,if lets say the most important factor was your K/D ratio average would that make baseraping any more common? And besides,once the "magic formula" is found out (and its only a matter of time) it won't really matter what LBI's intentions were,they may as well spill the beans.

With that said I think the most important factors are 1.wether you win or lose 2. experience gained and 3.your K/D ratio,now I could be totally wrong this is just how it seems to me..

If it was known that KDR was the most important factor, it wouldn't necessarily increase baserapes.  In fact, it might decrease them if the probability of death were perceived to be high and kills low.  Players would likely be less willing to take risks or behave in ways that had a high probability of death.  They would look for the highest % kills in every situation while simultaneously seeking to minimize their risk of death.  They wouldn't be as aggressive.  They would be more deliberate.  I disagree that we can determine exactly what the magic formula is based on the information we have.  There are just too many variables to perform an analysis that would arrive at an accurate conclusion.  And I almost guarantee they never tell us what the formula is.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (970 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
389 posts

May 15, 2012

I agree that LBI will not ever reveal the details to the skillscore,and yea more than likely people would become cautious if known the most important factor was the K/D ratio.That would be kinda wierd for people to turtle. lol

But,I would not discount the possibility of the skillscore being "cracked",there are some crazy guys out there.But you never know,maybe the skillscore in Starhawk will be one of the great gaming mysteries.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (970 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2124 posts

May 15, 2012

HottLixx86 wrote:

I agree that LBI will not ever reveal the details to the skillscore,and yea more than likely people would become cautious if known the most important factor was the K/D ratio.That would be kinda wierd for people to turtle. lol

But,I would not discount the possibility of the skillscore being "cracked",there are some crazy guys out there.But you never know,maybe the skillscore in Starhawk will be one of the great gaming mysteries.

I think whatever they do people will pick up on it sooner or later by keeping an eye out on what affects it.

Anyways it doesn't work fully it doesn't make sense that you lose skill score if you play zones/CTF. I think there should probably be different skill scores for each game mode. A overall skillscore at least at this point doesn't seem to work.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (970 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2124 posts

May 15, 2012

KoingWolf wrote:

I will say that I've noticed a dramatic difference between how my Skill Score fluctuates and people who clan/ server stack to pound on uneven teams. I think it's the main reason I've stayed number 1 for so long, because last I checked no one, besides myself, in the top 10 has a Most Killed weapon that is not the Cluster by an insane difference. These same people also tend to lose and gain Skill Score rapidly, so one day they will be kicked out of the top 10, the next they are right on my *** at number 2. 

Now as I play a TON of Deathmatch (most fun to me) my Skill will contiunally increase with less than 3 deaths, but more than 25 kills. Anything under that K/D gives me either just 1 point or takes away. SPM seems to play another factor, because slower games yield smaller increases or even, in the case of CTF and Zones games, a massive decrease in the Skill Score, which I noticed after losing about 125 points after a few rounds of CTF and Zones. Your W/L ratio also seems to affect it to an incredible degree, because at one point despite me coming out with 25-30 KDRs, me still losing the game due to joining just a tad late or my team being awful still resulted in a Skill Score decrease.

So all in all.. everything affects it. And that's pretty awesome. It's going to be a long time (hopefully) before we even have to worry about someone figuring out how to exploit the system. Oh, and I really don't think Co-Op plays a part, at all Alexius. I did not play a game yesterday online, just a ton of Co-Op, and my Skill did not budge an inch, while today it increased further after a few games.

StarhawkCenter

thanks for the info! Yeh you might be right. Since I was usually playing DM/TDM was gaining pretty quick but right before the CO-OP was playing some Zones/CTF rotation which wasn't that full + groundpounder zones. Must have been that then, seemed to throw me from the top of the list to like 20th place on my FL (very significant) even tho there wasn't any significant change in performance. I figured it had to be the CO-OP that affected it but apparently it had to be the ZNS/CTF.

Also you don't seem to gain any points from capturing zones?? What's up with that?

BTW one thing I'm wondering is does leaving not count as a loss? I'm not really sure on this but despite I was leaving incompetent/baseravage/emptying servers it was increasing very fast compared to everyone else. Generally I would think that would decrease ones skill score? But like I said I'm not sure what do you think?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (970 Views)
0 Likes