Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 14 2012
By: SILVERX200 Survivor 2265 posts

What is the easiest way to beat Campaign on Mercenary?

19 replies 235 views Edited Dec 14, 2012

It was annoying playing some parts in the campaign even on Normal, and I just need to beat it on Mercenary to get my Platinum.

I remember people saying they would play the campaign on Easy and then change the difficulty to Mercenary before the stage ended. It's been a long time since I played campaign so is it a time thing or a one enemy left thing where you need to change it before the stage is over?

With all of the changes they made to the multiplayer it's going to make the campaign harder than it originally was and the AI soldiers are complete morons.

I just don't want to miss out on the right time to change the difficulty. The stage system is really messed up and I don't know if you can manually select what stage you want to play. I never accessed it from the hub menu, I originally would just hit Continue on the main screen.

Message 1 of 20 (235 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1186 posts

Re: What is the easiest way to beat Campaign on Mercenary?

Dec 14, 2012

SILVERX200 wrote:

It was annoying playing some parts in the campaign even on Normal, and I just need to beat it on Mercenary to get my Platinum.

I remember people saying they would play the campaign on Easy and then change the difficulty to Mercenary before the stage ended. It's been a long time since I played campaign so is it a time thing or a one enemy left thing where you need to change it before the stage is over?

With all of the changes they made to the multiplayer it's going to make the campaign harder than it originally was and the AI soldiers are complete morons.

I just don't want to miss out on the right time to change the difficulty. The stage system is really messed up and I don't know if you can manually select what stage you want to play. I never accessed it from the hub menu, I originally would just hit Continue on the main screen.

First off you must start a new campaign from the very beginning on mercenary to get that trophy. Switching from normal or hard to mercenary will not get you that mercenary trophy.

On real tough levels find the events that trigger the next wave of Outcast attacks. On repeat plays, before you trigger the next wave, build as many defenses using the "rift barrel glitch". Shooting barrels over and over builds up rift and you can build up to that levels "build limit" over time.

Repair arms are you friends on most tough levels and so are walls. They keep the enemy from destroying the objective and/or keeping you alive till the next triggered event.

If any one mission is giving you lots of grief let me know which one. I have beaten the game lots of times, back when the game came out and just recently. It's much harder now but it can be done if you know how and when to build to get through the tougher moments.

I hope that helps.

Message 2 of 20 (226 Views)
Survivor
2265 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2012

Goddamnit, this is going to be a massive chore. I knew that I would be starting from the beginning but the rift barrel glitch isn't even in the game anymore in campaign. The only time they spawn is if there are enemies.

I used the respawning on the stage when I played the first time where you had to build the rift bomb. This is really going to suck if I can't switch difficulties during the stages and have to be on Mercenary for every stage from start to finish. The campaign is completely unbalanced against the player and it's you against a ton of enemies.

I'm dreading the freaking Ballard's Crossing map where you have to defend two extractors. I had a hard enough time even on Normal. Now that those idiots powered up the Grinder the enemies will destroy everything in a second.

Message 3 of 20 (194 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1186 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2012

The glitch is still in campaign, just not in co-op at least on the disc version. I use it all the time and just recently to get my trophies on another account.

Yeah, Ballard's Crossing is tough as nails especially the last couple of waves of Outcasts. Saving the saloon on White Sands (Ashes) is also one of the toughest.

Place three repair arms around the rift bomb spot and plenty of walls topped with turrets in front and on the sides of the platform along with some beam turrets with repair arms nearby BEFORE calling down the rift bomb and you should be able to save it long enough.

I use a Hawk and cluster bomb the enemy for most of that part of the mission. Good to have some friendly's in Hawks to keep the Outcast busy as well. Place a Hawk pad and an Outpost out of the line of fire but close enough to the action so they help thin out the enemy on the ground.

Yes, it is a massive chore since the campaign is even more of a pain now since the patches buffed up a few things.

Good luck and again wait to move to the the next check point as long as you can to give you time to build and rebuild.

EDIT:

I would also get use to using the sniper rifle a lot. I find that whenever I can call down a Watch Tower, I do it. It makes taking out even Apex warriors a lot easier and faster. Apex takes a few head shots but still faster than anything else I found plus it keeps you a safe distance from grinders and shotgun scouts. Plus, towers gives you ammo which you will run out of quickly between check points unless the falling enemy ammo pickups are safely nearby.

Message 4 of 20 (187 Views)
PlayStation MVP
48845 posts

Dec 14, 2012

Listen to rubicon, i got all the trophies for this game and his advice for SP on mercenary is solid.

Message 5 of 20 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Dec 14, 2012
Word. It's how I got these trophies on day 1. I can't imagin the new grinders make it much harder.

this is me helping
Message 6 of 20 (158 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1186 posts

Dec 15, 2012

I just wanted to post a few examples of how to build when the odds are against you.

Another tough mission since all the patches is "The Pipeline". Keeping the lifter alive can be hard if you don't have some defenses built up before you "activate" the lift processor.

Using the "rift barrel glitch" you can slowly build up to the 23 building slots and keep the lift processor from taking damage.

I used both walls with turrets and Watch Towers to shield the processor from attack. Arms are not available on this mission.

DSC02009.JPG

DSC02011.JPG

DSC02012.JPG

DSC02014.JPG

With this set-up I only had to kill 3 or 4 Outcast myself. Turrets did the rest in just about ten seconds. I sniped the Apex after the rest was killed off and only lost one Watch Tower and a couple of turrets during the whole fire fight. Cutter never even had the chance to tell me the processor was taking damage since I don't think the Outcast landing a single hit.

This tactic of over building works very well through the other even harder levels.

I hope this helps others trying to go for the platinum.

Message 7 of 20 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2265 posts

Dec 15, 2012

The campaign was a big deterrent to all of the reviewers who found it overly aggressive and unfair to the player. Now with the changes it's even worse. They should have had separate play functions designed for the campaign compared to multiplayer when it comes to how strong/weak structures and weapons are.

Grinders and Apex Warriors can destroy turrets in an instant, and even as enemies spawn they can destroy your objects on impact even if they're not in the spawn area. Waiting for the barrels to respawn takes ages, and they should have put more rift in the barrels.

For people that beat the campaign on Mercenary on day 1, it's a completely different story at this point as far as difficulty. The stages aren't even set up where you can just select a stage and repeat it until you beat it. I wish I could have just used the Easy to Mercenary exploit that people used to use before the stage ended to get credit.

I appreciate all the advice Rubicon and hopefully I can manage without being insanely frustrated. It's a shame they couldn't have made the AI allies smarter so it wasn't you against the world fighting a losing battle.

Message 8 of 20 (95 Views)
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Dec 15, 2012

SILVERX200 wrote:

The campaign was a big deterrent to all of the reviewers who found it overly aggressive and unfair to the player. Now with the changes it's even worse. They should have had separate play functions designed for the campaign compared to multiplayer when it comes to how strong/weak structures and weapons are.

Grinders and Apex Warriors can destroy turrets in an instant, and even as enemies spawn they can destroy your objects on impact even if they're not in the spawn area. Waiting for the barrels to respawn takes ages, and they should have put more rift in the barrels.

For people that beat the campaign on Mercenary on day 1, it's a completely different story at this point as far as difficulty. The stages aren't even set up where you can just select a stage and repeat it until you beat it. I wish I could have just used the Easy to Mercenary exploit that people used to use before the stage ended to get credit.

I appreciate all the advice Rubicon and hopefully I can manage without being insanely frustrated. It's a shame they couldn't have made the AI allies smarter so it wasn't you against the world fighting a losing battle.

i was thinking about that recently. And there's a way you can emulate Day 1 settings, Silver. Delete the updates for SH, and play offline.

this is me helping
Message 9 of 20 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2265 posts

Dec 16, 2012

How am I supposed to delete the updates? Even if I deleted the Game Data and Save File it would reinstall everything when I went to play the game. Chances are if I just tried saying no to the update the game would destroy my system with how much of a colossal mess everything is without any patches.

Message 10 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes